Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

To Motormouse - New UK airport, please help...

Guest Quaxo

Hello Pete, I've completed 21 new megatiles of UK. This time it's a rectangle going from London City, to Marlborough, to Redlynch, to Cuckfield (more or less). There are 16 airports in this rectangle. The only one I've identified is Gatwick!Now the region I've done is 112x96 Km = more than 10.000 square Km!!!The pictures are all to scale.1- Is near Burghclere.2- Near Heath End.3- North of Fleet.4- North of Woking.5- North-East of Woking.6- East of Worplesdon.7- Between Amesbury and Salisbury more or less.8- South of Ludgershall.9- South-East of Overton.10- Near Herriard.11- Near Odiham.12- Near Aldershot.13- Near Reigate.14- Gatwick.15- Near Stockbridge.16- South of Cranleigh.5 is intresting, seems abandoned (there's a road crossing the runway) but there are aircrafts parked! I can land/takeoff with the Cessna, but those big airplanes?!?The positions I told are all approximated, I couldn't check more precisely...Could you also tell me the 3- or 4-letter abbreviation? (like KSFO for San Francisco Intl.)Thank you,Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Come on, guys, 18 views and not a single answer! :) Is there really no one who knows these airports?!? Or no one is intrested in UK development? ;-)Cristian

Guest jonpoint

Sorry, Cristian, I have no idea. Living 12000 miles away doesn't help either. Surely we have some UK FU3 friends who could have a go? Sorry I'm not much help!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest twsimfan

Cristian,Sorry buddy. I am quite sure none of them are in Easter Colorado. I have been in and out of both Gatwick & Heathrow several times in the middle 1970s but about all I remember is the lack of exit signs from the Heathrow parking garage. My friend Roger picked me up when I first arrived in the UK in his MG... he had only been there a few months ahead of me and had arrived via a RAF/USAF base. We did about 3 laps of the garage before we realized that "Way Out" translated to exit. Keep in mind this was 1974 (like in "Way out, man..."). ;-)

Try searching on Google: for example with the keywords 'woking' and 'airfield' and some interesting links should come up. I tried 'stockbridge' and 'airfield' and it seems that the (?) airfield near Stockbridge is called Middle Wallop, for example. Some sites seem to have driving directions, or a small map, maybe you can compare these with the aerial pictures.You may also try www.streetmap.co.uk This way, I found out that the airfield north of Woking is called Fairoaks Airport... As for the ICAO codes, the easiest way is if you have FS2002, take a flight and search the area for the airports... the ATC window should provide you with the ICAO codes. Or tryhttp://www.hiway.co.uk/aviation/picao.htmlhttp://www.aircraft-charter-world.com/airports/europe/uk.htmFor example: MIddle Wallop - EGVPFairoaks - EGTFIt may all take a bit of searching and improvising, but eventually, it works out.Hope this helps,Alex

Guest Motormouse

Sorry for the delay,been working nights (again) ,so I've only just seen this message, 1. Greenham Common airbase, now disused and being dug up (shame,huge runway!) 2. 3.Blackbushe,EGLK, runways 08/26,13/31 & 01/19 . Radio freq. 122.30 4.Fairoaks,EGTF, runways are 06/24 tarmac,and 16/34 grass, grass runway is parallel to the road that crosses near the end of 24/06 5.British Aerospace Weybridge, (built inside the loop of the former Brooklands motor race circuit),they put the road in after the big planes had landed,those planes are exhibits at Brooklands aviation museum.Light a/c can still use whats left under 'prior permission rules', it operates as a private airfield. 6. 7. Boscombe Down airbase, the UK equivalent of 'area 51'! 8.Thruxton,EGHO,Thruxton race circuit is around the 'perimeter track,Radio freq.130.45,the concrete runways are disused,but there are 2 grass strips,08/26 and 13/31,parallel to their respective concrete runways. 9. Popham, private airfield,radio freq 129.8,runways 08/26,914 metres long,grass. 10. 11. Raf Odiham,EGVO, home of the Raf Helicopter force. 12.Farnborough,was called the Aircraft Experimental Establishment,now called something like DERA Farnborough. 13.Redhill,EGKR,private, runways 01/19 and 08/26,grass. Radio Freq 123.22 14. 15. 16. Pete :-wave

Guest Quaxo

Thanks Pete, so now I can start adding airports with FLED!And, regarding Boscombe... North of it, there is a strange, huge "spiderweb" of roads... Non-paved roads, they seem... They go everywhere in weird shapes, repeatedly crossing each other. It's really a huge area. I thought that could be some "training ground" to practice driving tanks or similar... Am I right? Do you know what it is more precisely?Thanks,Cristian

Guest Motormouse

That is Salisbury Plain , army/military training area:-wavePete

Guest twsimfan

Cristian, Pete,Ah ha... aliens! Got to be... that is near Stonehenge!Sorry... I had to demonstrate that I do remember some things about the UK. I went to Stonehenge... on the Salisbury Plain. The part I remember the best was the hotdog I bought... I put what looked like pain old yellow mustard on it and nearly died... HOT!That was a few weeks before Rhonda & I came back to the US to get married in her home town in Idaho. That would make it late May 1975. On our honeymoon we rented a Plymouth and were driving along the Columbia River... on the Washington side... suddenly I braked to a stop and turned around... Rhonda thought I had lost it... I went down a tiny country lane towards to river... road barely wider than the car... past some broken down barns. She demanded to know where I was going. I told her that I didn't believe what I thought I saw... but was going to check it out. Around one last bend and there it was... Stonehenge! Only better... like in brand new! A full sized reconstruction of it anyway. There was a sign saying who had built it and why... which I really don't remember. I told Rhonda we could have saved ourselves a trip to the Salibury Plain... we saw Stonehenge in Washington and it was in far better shape!A few days after that we boarded a Pan Am 747 and went back to London. Sorry to bore you with yet another old story.

Guest Motormouse

almost finished,10. Lasham Aerodrome,private,was 'base' to Dan Air maintenance.Used for heavy jet maintenance and gliding now.14.Gatwick16.Dunsfold,British Aerospace flight test airfield,final assembly plant for the Hawk and Harrier jets. Strictly 'private' !2,6&15 Need some more help with these,can you 'zoom out' a bit so I can see a bit more of local area.I have an idea that 6. is Ockham,disused WWII runway,still used by Raf Odiham as a training ground, and 15. is NOT Middle Wallop,( not enough activity,)possibly remains of WWII airfield at Worthy Down,part of which is still used for gliding.2. has got me , no idea, I'll have to look at bigger map!!:-wavePete

Guest Motormouse

No never bored with your tales Tom!!G'night now...:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Hi Pete,here are the zoomed out pics! (now they're not to scale anymore)!I've already added the ones you identified, with FLED. Thanks for the runway headings!And by the way, a question: Where do you get all this info on the airports?Bye,Cristian

Guest Motormouse

I've positively identified:2.Private strip at Brimpton,Wasing Lower Farm6.Wisley (Ockham), former flight test airfield for BAC (British Aircraft Corporation, Bac 111's were test flown from there).15. Chilbolton,disusedAs for where I find the info,well there's some local knowledge,I've flown over quite a few of them,plusan old copy of 'Pooley's Flight Guide to the UK & Ireland' ,and I found this web-site too:http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/uk.htmOh and the identifiers for: Weybridge EGLB, Farnborough, EGLF, Dunsfold EGTD, Lasham,EGHL Popham,EGHP Boscombe Down,EGDM found that out too :-):-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Thanks Pete! I have already done all the other airports, now I'll add these too, and then I'll "pack" my second part of UK and remove the temporary files from my HD... this will free up nearly 2 Gb of space :( !!!Anyway, yesterday after completing the airports, I went "beta-testing" and was very upset when I noticed that, landing at Gatwick, about 4 seconds after touch-down (or after the LAST touch-down if I bounced), the sim crashed to desktop... I could restart the sim, but it crashed again upon landing, and after a couple of times the FU3 wouldn't start anymore, forcing me to reboot. And later I noticed that the sim crashed when landing at ANY airport (even the old ones)!!! So I started to remove all the new airports, one by one, fearing I had made something which damaged FU3... but at last I found the culprit: when doing one of the airports, FLED had crashed, leaving a half-finished FBO on the hard-disk, and that was causing the crash. I removed it, did it again from scratch, and now everything works fine!Thanks again!CristianP.S. By the way, in a few days I'm starting work on another 21 tiles, there will be airports on those too (including Heathrow)... So I'll need your help again!!! And... the new tiles include Stonehenge and Salisbury too :) !!!

Guest Ansgar

Hi Cristian,to your info: the megatiles ASAQ and ATAP are finished from me. So to prevent double work pls. mail or answer me if you would like to have them too!A second question from my side:What would be the best method (your meaning) to offer interested users the new london scenery with all the giant GBytes?To prevent double work we need one expert who coordinates all the megatiles. An status overview of the whole map with green crosses (or so) for the finished tiles would be very helpfull for others who want help creating megatiles.At the end of the project we need also a person who collect all the megatiles together and offers them i.e. as CD for a small fee (for shipping and burning) to all interested FU3-fans.I