Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

GeForce 4 with FU 3?

Hi all, just upgraded my PC from a VooDoo 5 to a GeForce 4 Ti4200. Are there any known problems with FU3 and this card? Also, what is the GeForce's equivilant of the 4XFSAA of the VooDoo 5?Thanks for any helpAlso, anyone happen to have a flt.cfg file that works well with the GeForce?Pieter

I don't think there are any problems with the GF4 and FU3. It works on my Geforce3, and the GF4 uses the same drivers.The best quality FSAA mode is "4XS" but it causes some problems with FU3. It makes the sky look a bit funny. The next step down is 4X which works fine and looks OK.You should make sure you have the latest drivers. Also download RivaTuner and enable Level8 Anisotropic filtering to make the textures look cleaner. If you are using Windows9x/ME, I think you need a fix to enable anisotropic but I don't know for sure.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest twsimfan

Pieter,I still use the V5 so can't give specific advice... but it would seem that Jimmy has provided for you there. I just wanted to remind you to install the FU3 patch if you have not already done so. We get a constant stream of Nvida users who get crashes for lack of the it.I would be interested in hearing about your results. I use the V5 but it is getting to be time for a new system which will probably have to use a GeForce.

Tom,I'm not sure what Jimmi means when he states that 4xS anti-aliasing causes the sky to "look funny". I currently run FU3 with my GeForce 3 Ti 200 in 4xS mode, and the sky looks fine. I don't notice any banding, although this may be due to a combination of 25 per cent haze and Laurie Doering's weather upgrades. However, he is right when he states that 4xS is the best AA mode.Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. I'm still not convinced that anisotropic filtering works with FU3.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

YOu are probably right in that the weather updates remove much of this problem. I have noticed that the squares that appear when FU3 is updating the sky are smaller with the updates, also.Here's what I mean though. First picture is with 4X FSAA, the second one is with 4XS FSAA. Notice how the sky is one smooth gradient with 4X (it actually isn't 100% smooth on the screenshot, because of the JPEG compression), and divided into "bands" when using 4XS?I guess you can either step back to normal 4X FSAA, or it seems like the weather updates also solve the problem.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Stearman

>Hi all, just upgraded my PC from a VooDoo 5 to a GeForce 4 >Ti4200. Are there any known problems with FU3 and this >card?Hi Pieter... looks like time for my periodical defence of the V5 :)As far as FU3 is concerned, changing a V5 for *anything* else is NOT what I would call an "upgrade".In fact, I don't think you'll get any noticeable improvement in frame rates or any improvement AT ALL in image quality (the V5 FSAA in FU3 is the best I've ever seen). Instead, you'll be probably facing some problems (big or small) you didn't have before.If I were you, I'd have rather used the money to upgrade the CPU, then transferred the V5 to the new machine (which, by the way, is exactly what I did when I changed my old P3-600 for my current Athlon XP 1500)....oh, and yes, with a very simple tweaking, it also works with FS2002 like a dream.That said, I sincerely hope you'll succeed with your new card.Best regards,http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d497ea45592c9ea.gif

Hi Stearman, Thanks for the advice. I agree with most of what you've said in regards to the VooDoo5. Yes, FU3 does look better with the VD 4xFSAA then it does with the GeForce. I did not mention this in my post, but I upgraded the CPU as well. Went from a Athlon 850, to a 1.33 Tbrid. I've been running, FU2/3, X-Plane, FS2k2, Fly!2k and Fly!II for about the last year with my trusty VooDoo. Has worked with a minimal of fuss. In defence of the GeForce card, I have seen a graphics improvement in Fly!II, X-Plane and FS2k2. The card just seems to be able to handle the larger textures better then my VooDoo did. Also, the OpenGL support for the VooDoo is not all that great. It is there, but just barely.Anyway, FU seems to work and look fine with the current drivers I have (latest from the website). I'm not dissing my VooDoo at all. I really like that card, it was just time for something a little more powerful, that is all. :)Pieter