Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Fences for JimmiG

Guest R_Driscoll

I have uploaded a Seattle scenery object for use with FLED,in reply to JimmiG's request.I welcome feedback on it - I can make other simple objectsbut don't have 3DStudio or anything fancy to make these with.See ya up there (I'm the one with the blazing landing lights,strobes, nav and beacons all flashing at once)Robert.

Guest Allan_D

Hi Robert,Thank you for this, It's a lot better then the fence I didn't have.It's actually great that you can add a object and make it work, I thought Capt.Bazza was the one and only for that :-lolThe fence gives me a reason to play with our fantastic fled program some more.I loaded up a piece of fence, That is a high fence, I think I'll build some up in the Elk country. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d4af939270cc5f3.jpgRan into it with the beaver, Broke the wing off, I hope the fence company has insurance :-lol http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d4afacf2b5f31eb.jpgWalked into the hanger looking for the mechanic, Yep the FU3 mechanics are still drunk :-lolAlmost looks like they monkey around alsohttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d4afc4c2e921bbe.jpgReally I do thank you for this, It's great to see a new object in our fled program, Have Fun :-jumpyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gifAllan

Guest glidernut

Well dun Robert,Thank you,We could do with all the objects we can get, >I can make other simple objects>but don't have 3DStudio or anything fancy to make these with.This sounds promising.Can you explan how you did it ?Is it simpl inuf for me and others to do it as well ?Or is it as I suspect, a bit to complecated ?And why dus a model need 2 files (bin) and (mip) ?I never did understand that, but never licked to ask.It seem to me that if the transparant culers problem can be sorted out, then by placeing too, 2 dimenshanal objects,lick you see in the snap-shot using Fled, perhaps trees can be made as well ?We could do with sum new trees.Well dun Robert,glidernut.

Guest CaptRolo

Robert: Good going !!! Keep up the good work . I appreciate it !!CaptRolo

Guest twsimfan

Ralph,You haven't been around for a while. Good to see you.

Guest juvat2

Hi Folks,I uploaded a "wood" fence a few moments ago. Its for un-even terrain. I had hoped there was a way in Fled object properties to adjust the elevation of the fence. That way it could be used on even terrain as well. If theres a way, could someone please tell me how? I went thru the Fled help, and couldn't find anything. The object properties only seemed to be for "clock" rotation and position(x,y), no "z" like with the Thief series Dromed.Would've posted a pic of it, but the sight I selected for it and created a new package call RK Ranch Fence, was even terrain and I couldn't plant them darn fence posts. So, deleted the package.Thinking of putting it with one of the glider locations in the foothills, see if it will be a better place for it there.Hopefully you all will find some use for it.Take Care, Jim B.

"It seem to me that if the transparant culers problem can besorted out, then by placeing too, 2 dimenshanal objects,lick you see in the snap-shot using Fled,perhaps trees can be made as well ?"That is exactly how the trees are done in FS2002. I hope it's possible in FU3 because it makes the trees look less flat and more 3D.I'll have to experiment with those fences some :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest glidernut

Hi jim,Iv not got your "wood" fence yet, but I will.Im hopeing its not too long, so it can be put on a slope.How are you makeing thees models ?Yes you can dictate the altitude of a model, abeove or bilow theterrain in meeters.But its dificalt.You have to pretend the model is a mooving object.Sum tryal and errer is needed. And if you,v got more than one model to do, it will drive you mad.Any way this is how I have dun it in the past.Objects.Edit Moving Objects.New.Moddel-----choos wat you want.Motion Parameters-----un tick------Grounded.One Way ticket-----tick.Drow Path.at this point, bubbl left cliking on the terrain should bring up a dialog box fore altitude abeove or bilow theterrain in meeters. Put wat you want, and then clik on the exact sane spot on the terrain agen.OK.Done.Save. Glidernut.

Guest juvat2

HI Glidernut,I can't take credit for the 3d model. Its available as freeware at a 3d model sight and had no readme to accompany the zip file. So I couldn't put in the 3d model author credits in the upload. The zip file name is fence2.All I did was convert it for Fu3 use with the 3ds2e.exe, Bsp.exe, and Makemip tools.Am going thru the Truespace cactus tut, but it's not turning out as nice as the one shown in the tut. Mine is looking kind of "dog-eared".Thank you for letting me know how to adjust Fu3 objects up/down. Will go back into Fled and re-do RK Ranch Fence again.The fence sits at almost a 45 deg slope, so I figure it should do well at your glider locations.Take Care,Jim B.

Guest glidernut

Hi Jim,I got your fence, but there is a problem with it.It dus not show up in the Fled model window,It is there but, Its dificalt to fined by draging and dropingon the window.It is to the right of the wondow.And wether the fence is in the window or not, when the fence is placed on the terrain it apears 100 yardsto the north of where it was placed.But it can be drag and dropt back to where I put it,so its not a big problem.Perhaps this is only hapening in my Fled.I might have scrood up my Fled when working out how to do thealtitued of models?Can sum one say if Jim,s fence works OK fore them or not ?glidernut

Guest juvat2

Hi Glidernut,It does that to me as well. As you said, dragging back to where you want it works. It can be seen in the object selection window, just have to click on the "+" a couple of times.I've tried the edit moving object trick on the fence and can't get it to "drop". I set the altitude above sea-level to 0 meters. Is it supposed to drop immediately or does it take a while? Or do I need to start the sim first?Here's another pic of a picket fence that didn't turn-out to well. I'm going to have to spend some cash on putting lights on it if I can't get it trimmed down soon. Its right over the active to. FAA's going to fine me for sure.Naw, can't upload this time of day. Connections to slow. The pic is only 31KB.Jim B.

Guest R_Driscoll

Can I explain? Arrgghgh ...1) I made a set of squares 16x16 in a 128 by 256 array, 8 bit GIF image.2) Each of the 256 squares was coloured by index number (I used PStyler - I don't have any recent graphics packages) giving colours 0 to 255.3) I used Tomi Lehto's various programs, and disected a 3DS image of a noticeboard, to give me the simplest possible .E file that worked: 3DS image ----> .E text file (use 3DS2E) ---> .BIN file (use BSP) (FU3 format)4) I converted my 256 square GIF image to a MIP image using MAKEMIP. The MIP files contain the texture information for the BIN files (which are models), but you can use colours instead of textures (see Capn Bazza's early models).5) This gave me an object - a flat board containing all colours. I loaded this into Grays Air Force Base and took a screen capture of the result. This gave me an indexed palette for Seattle (same could be done for San Fran). I know this is slow and clumsy but I couldn't think of anything else after two weeks of trying ...6) I loaded the screen capture, trimmed it down to useable size, called it SEA_PAL.GIF (this is noon colours for Seattle) and started painting a new picture, of a fence.7) Since I can't control the palette of the new picture, I paint "blind" - selecting the colour I want from the SEA_PAL.GIF by index number, then choosing the same index colour on the new palette. So the white colour is actually black when I paint, grey is purple - its all mixed up.8) If I do this correctly, then when I have saved, converted from GIF to MIP, loaded onto my "flat board" (same .E file as used for paletting), installed in GEN, loaded FLED with Grays AFB, placed the object, then I see a fence.9) But to make the board in the first place, I had to learn the .E commands, and that's another topic. I will try and put something together on that and post it for everyone. Its not too hard for simple objects, but I think I can make some generic objects that might help other people do the same. And maybe post my "palette"! Transparent colours - The FU3 White pages says index 0 and two other special indices have special purposes. I am trying to learn how to use this, but no success yet. Given the awesome talent out there, I assume someone will sort it out.Robert.

Guest juvat2

Hi You all,Well,Here's a stab from me. Please, anyone, if there's errors, correct this here on the forum so I'll know. Thanks. Jim B.Tools used for conversion: 3ds2E.exe: function- converts .3ds to .e fileBSP.exe: For creating the .bin file from the .e file.Makemip.exe: To create the .mip "texture" file from the texture file associated with the 3d object. This case, woodaged.gifHow to convert a .3ds object for use in fu3 seattle region. Will use fence.3ds and woodage.tga as examples. Pre-liminaries: *Place the folder included with this zip anywhere you'd like.Open that folder so you can see its contents. Myself I keep these things under D:FU3 Projects3d Stufffence. I have windows 98se. So thats how I'll refer to the files and tool executions.* is your space bar.* is your enter key. *Convert the woodage.tga file to a woodage.gif file. I use Paint Shop Pro or Corel Draw myself. There are several free-ware, very nice, paint programs on the web as well, Eyebrowse comes to mind.Here we go.1- Convert fence.3ds to fence.e a) Double click on the folder "fence". Now open a Dos window. Go to the "fence" Dos directory and type this command: 3ds2e*.3dsTo see if the conversion worked, tap your "windows" key on your keyboard, the Dos screen minimzes and you'll be back at the desktop and where you had opened the "fence" folder in the "preliminary" step. There should now be a new file named "fence.e". OK, click on Dos on your task bar and the Dos window opens back up where you left off.2- Create the fence30 .bin file a) At the same Dos prompt, type this: bsp*.e fence30.binGo ahead and check that also in windows. There should now be a file named fence30.bin. OK, back to Dos.3- Create the mip file a) At the same Dos prompt, type this: makemip*.gifCheck that theres a file named "woodage.mip" in the windows folder.Copy and paste the fence30.bin file and its texture woodage.mip into your regionsseattlegen folder. Now start fled, select objects and the fence will be in the list of placeable objects. It's name will be fence3.Inregards to the seattle pallet. Download Gideons great Model Viewer 2.0. With-in it is a seattle pallet.Again, you all please let me know if this is wrong, I'm still learning.Jim B.

Guest R_Driscoll

You're welcome! I'm sorry about the damage to the fence - bring it back in and I'll see what I can do. ;) I can't afford insurance. You guys scratch a little paint off and then claim millions. Hah! I'm emailing you a paintbrush.Aren't you more worried about the damage to the plane?I use Cap'n Bazza's sheds, objects etc too and I can't competewith them.Yet.See you round ;)

I couldn't find MAKEMIP file at Tomi's pages. Could you send me it ?B.Adamski