Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Baron views

Since my previous thread has become awfully long by now I think it's time to start another one. A good reason to start afresh is the fact that the previous thread included a lot of posts discussing my previous attempts, before we got the photos from Ed Weber's "Big Red". Since I'm committed to make a "big_red.res" now I want to concentrate on this one. Today's work yielded a left back quarter view. I'll call it a beta for now since I want to modify the night view before it's being uploaded. Actually, this one is a splendid example of the limitations to producing a night view simply by darkening the day view. I took off in hazy weather and changed the time of day to night. The night view looks all right except for one thing -- the lighter areas are still where the sun would have lit them up. The horizontal fin of the tail shows and it's pretty bright on top. Well, that could be the moonlight but the seat is worse. At night one would expect a glow of light from within rather than from the outside. I'll try to guess at how the ceiling lamp would illuminate the night view. Actually, the light distribution ought to be more or less reversed at night, when the primary light source is from within. If this turns out being too big a task I'll just tone down the sunlight in the night view and we'll pretend that there's no cabin lights being lit :-)I may be a perfectionist now but after seeing some of the beautiful night lighting in Steve's uploads I'm considering making the night views rise beyond simply being darkened day views.I found a red and white Baron livery on Gideon's site, created by Werner Maresch. With a little editing this one could turn into being Ed's "Big Red"Hans Petter

Guest PeterK

I think I left you months ago painting this thing!!!I still have to ask sombody at the airport what those intakesover the Continental boxer engines do on the Baron... Well..I signed back up maybe you will hear more from me..Peter

If look towards the bottom of "Moving some Pixels" you'll find a photo of Ed's Baron. Did you paint a red and white one like this? If you want to give this one a go I'm sure we could get some more pictures. Basically, I'd like to get an external paint scheme that matches the wing views, with red tips and red panels on the engine cowlings. As engine's are concerned we're sort of stuck with the ones that Looking Glass provided for the aircraft model. There's also the much debated radar pod on the left wing -- a few aircraft had it but it seems that most didn't. Hennie "rounded" the engines a bit by applying shadows that made the sharp angles less conspicuous. Air intakes can be painted in any way but we can't change the shape of the 3D model.Hans Petter

I just spent some hours on the back view. Most of the time was devoted to try to edit out a "sun spot" While the high contrast may look OK for a day view in sunny weather that bleached out spot would not look too convincing in any low light situation. The first image is the original that I based this on and the second one is my (preliminary) FU3 day view.The texture of the fabric is still a bit blotchy and I'll try to improve it a bit more. Anyway, this is a splendid example of why overcast weather is best for taking photographs :-)Hans Petter

I just loaded my right view into the *.res and this is the last one. What's left now is to go through it all once more and look for details to edit. Basically, these are "raw" JPGs, resized to 800 x 600 and converted to bitmaps. I may want to accentuate some elements before they're uploaded but I think they do look pretty good, thanks to the real pilot Ed Weber (tallpilot) who provided them. Hans Petter