Sign in to follow this  
Guest P3_Super_Bee

Can't Save .cfg files anymore????????

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Some how some way I have screwed something up. I can no longer save .cfg files. When I open them in wordpad, then make changes, when I hit the save button the "save as" window opens and of course, .cfg is not one of the options only the different text files. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2n.jpg

Guest sgreenwood

Jeff, Relax, you haven't broken anything. ".cfg" is just a label FS uses to identify an ASCII text file with a specific role in the simulator. There is nothing special about it as far as the O/S is concerned. It is still just a DOS text file.In the File/Save As ... dialog, Filename: yourfile.cfg Save as type: Text Document - MS-DOS Format(Notepad is safer if you have it; it will not add aditional formattng to the file if you forget the Save As step.)Hope this helps,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

I agree with Steve, its better to use Notepad, less chance of accidently saving the .cfg file in the wrong format.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest artl

The problem with both NOTEPAD and WORDPAD is: when you ask for a "save as", and the dialog opens... ...you type in your filename "panel.cfg", and the "save as type" is set to "text".......THEN what happens is both NOTEPAD and WORDPAD add ".txt" to the filename automatically, and you have saved your file as "panel.cfg.txt".... Naturally, when you run your flight, thereis no change because "panel.cfg" has not been modified.You have to run NOTEPAD empty, then open "panel.cfg" with the "files of type" set to "*.*", do the modifications, then just "save", not "save as...".Otherwise, you will have to find, and rename the saved ".txt" file.Art.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Art,It sounds as if your system is making things harder than they really need to be, and I'm not sure how it has managed to do so! I am unable to replicate your reported results. :) Many applications will add a default extension if none is provided, or if you are saving a file in a format peculiar to that app, but with the wrong extension. This insures that the correct application will be used to open the file later, assuming Windows file type associations are correct.Some applications use the file type you specify in the File/Save As dialog box to filter the files you see in the window, others use it to specify the internal format to use when saving the file. This can be an unfortunate source of confusion. :(However, both Notepad and Wordpad will save text (or any other) files, with any extension you give them, without adding additional formatting, if saved as MS-DOS format text files. Some people even use Notepad as a hex editor for binary (.exe) files! I encourage you to experiment a bit more with Notepad; it is a very useful tool - small, fast, and clean. With my Windows file type associations set appropriately, I can double-click both .cfg and .txt files (as well as many other types) to open them in Notepad, and use File/Save to save them, with no unexpected changes to the extension name or file format. Very convenient.Regards,Steve

Guest artl

>Hi Art, >>>>However, both Notepad and Wordpad will save text (or >any other) files, with any extension you give them, >without adding additional formatting, if saved as MS-DOS >format text files. On my system, that is true only if I:1. opened the file with Notepad or Wordpad in the first place.2. "save" back into the original file.If I do a "save as..." to another file, the default extension is added to whatever name is specified.I have my system set to "display all file extensions" which includes certain suggested changes to the registry with ensuresthat there are no exceptions. That may (or may not) have something to do with the behaviour. Art.

Guest sgreenwood

Hey Art,I believe I have the explanation. From the Windows 98 Resource Kit:"If you are saving a file in Notepad or Wordpad and you specify a filename extension that has not been associated with an application, Notepad or Wordpad appends the default file name extension to the end of the file name. Notepad uses the extension .txt, and Wordpad uses the extension .doc.To save a file using a file name extension that is not in the registry, enclose the filename in quotation marks."Obviously, a better long-term solution is to associate the .cfg extension with Notepad. (Apparently something I had done sometime in the distant past, and without realizing the additional convenience that association afforded me!)Let me know if you decide to create that association and would like some help with it.Regards,Steve