Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Cloud Wisp

Guest juvat2

Wondering if anyone has this enabled. I read about it in the Fu3 readme. I checked my Flt.cfg and found no reference to it. I copy/pasted it, and went up in the glider with my Fair weather cloudy-sunset file. Seems as though the clouds now have a nice feather at the edges that fade, blow, and re-appear through-out the flight. If I remember correctly, prior to enabling wisp, the clouds had more of a smooth edge to them.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d4dffce33c19fd9.jpg

Guest twsimfan

Jim,I use that and it works great. But it is one of those deals that you soon forget about... it is just there. Thanks for bringing it up... we need to discuss these things from time to time for the sake of new people. I haven't even thought about that option in probably 2 years.

Guest jonpoint

Yep! Love 'em.I turned them off ages ago (to help framerates with my previous system) and forgot all about them till I played with Rob Driscoll's flt3.cfg file. They give a great effect as you begin to descend through a cloud layer.One question to any FU3 weather heads(!), why, in marginal weather do you sometimes descend into darkness? I mean black. One second you can see the ground, the next it's black and you can just make out the city lights. Once you get out the other side it's lighter again. Only seems to occur in early morining/late evening - maybe FU3's graphics engine just gets confused with the contrast :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest juvat2

I think I'll take alook at his cfg to see how he has his Wisp settings.Wisp has brought a new experience in gliding for me. Especially sailing around during sunset. Just darned peaceful and relaxing. A new real thrill.I've had the views get dark on me, but generally never black. However with the "nasty" weather file, I've been hit with total darkness followed by wing shearing up and down drafts. Maybe you are decending through a developing "baby" thunder-head in that innocent looking cloud?Jim B.

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't think I've modified the wisp settings much over the original,maybe increased number a bit. If you discover anything interesting in the settings, I would love to know as I am still working things out.You may also be interested to play with the virgae settings - this is where rain falls from clouds but evaporates before reaching the ground (as you may know). You will often see good virgae effects around deep cumulonimbus from a distance which some and go. Someone did some very clever modelling there at LG!And I would love any feedback from anyone on the .CFG file - I'm not claiming a finished product there at all, just one small step towards easier usage of the configuration settings, most of which have been pinched or combined with other peoples. I think the file is at the criticism stage - what do I need to do now to make it useful? what is wrong still? etc.Robert.

Guest jonpoint

Jim,Yeah, it probably was - sometimes I just push the severity slider way over to the right, hit generate and see what happens! "...and you'll know you're in a storm-cloud when your attitude indicator and altimeter BOTH spin around..."Rob,I just started using it. My previous cfg files were getting a bit choppy (i.e. lack of comments...) so I just put yours in. I had previously 'remmed out' many of Laurie Doering's changes to see what effect they had on framerates as my previous PC was, well, slow. I found that reducing cloud complexity, virga and wisps all helped, as did reducing the sky gradient numbers. Interestingly, any attempt to change haze settings DID help framerates but it looked so crappy I used to fly on minimal haze or at night!Now with the 1700+ and your cfg file, I'm enjoying levels of realism and detail I'd never seen. It's not that you've done anything really new, it just 'turned everything back on' for me. This is not to detract from your work - I (we?) do appreciate it because the FU documentation has always been severely lacking and this file is the key to operating FU3 properly. A properly commented file that we can all understand is a great help - thanks :-) .Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Motormouse

I see that you've gone all 'Moderator' too,Another one of the FUIII gang onto higher things eh??:-wavePete

Guest Staggerwing

>I see that you've gone all 'Moderator' too, >>Another one of the FUIII gang onto higher things eh?? >>Pete Yeah, I don't know what happened... I just went all ModeratorISH one day.. :-)Well, I've gotten so much from Avsim since I joined, I figure I can help out a bit. Thanks Pete,

Guest twsimfan

Stag,Great shots but what are your wisp settings? ;-)

Guest Motormouse

At this rate we'll have to rename this forum,'Moderators Unlimited' :-lol:-wavePete

Guest Staggerwing

Oh, sorry Pete, you took that wrong... I'm NOT a moderator here in the "Flight Unlimited" forum...Not that YOU would ever need one anyway :-)

Guest Motormouse

Only, er,um, 'Yanking your chain' I think is the correct 'transatlantic' term Staggers!!I just find it 'interesting' how many of the FUIII'ers have become moderators at Avsim as a whole, Naji, Peter,Yourself,Flybert,...that's 4 for starters!!:-wavePete