Sign in to follow this  

New pc advice

Hello, I want to get a new machine that specifically works well with flight sims (specifically FS2002 and FU3). For various reasons, I want to buy a pre-built and have narrowed the vendor to Micron. Here's my first stab at a spec. Can you guys please comment? First some questions, then the spec.* For the CPU I have the option of 2+gig chips with a 533FSB (what is that and do I really need it?).* Do I really need 512meg of RAM or will 256 do?* Do I really need a 128meg video card, or will the 64meg do?Thanks for any help. Anywhere I'm going overkill on these specs. I'm going from a PentiumII 400, 4 meg vid card if that makes a difference.Millennia TS2 Xtreme (D100N) Quantity: 1 Unit Price: $1,299.48 Sub Total: $1,299.48 Minitower w/Front USB Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.9GHz (400FSB) (256K cache) 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM-2 DIMMs 60GB ATA-100 hard drive (7200 RPM) Integrated ATA-100 IDE (Non-RAID Configuration) 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive Integrated Customer Selects No Additional Optical Drive 16x48x Variable Speed DVD-ROM 128MB DDR nVidia Geforce4 TI4200 w/Super FX Gaming Bundle

Craig,As far as FU3 is concerned the most important aspect is the CPU. Get the fastest one that you can afford.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Craig,I agree with Chris (and that doesn't happen every day) that the fastest CPU possible is very important. Not so much for FU3 but for all those sims yet to be released.But I also feel that 512MB is far preferable to 256MB of RAM. My system is a few years old now (something I need to do something about soon) and it originally came with 128MB. It is now at 384MB and would be at 512MB if my mother board supported that. It does make a difference with FU3 and will matter even more with sims that you will want in the future.Such is my opinion.

"* For the CPU I have the option of 2+gig chips with a 533FSB (what is that and do I really need it?)."That CPU is fine."* Do I really need 512meg of RAM or will 256 do?"

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest PeterK

PeterK Well running at 128 meg of ram or more cant hurt..I think the big thing is to run her on windows 98 SE insteadof a higher platform..Im shure ill get a ######in for that comment but I can run all mysimms Microsoft/Janes/FU2-3 and Empire sims with no graphics or software issues...I hear alot of guys saying I have XP and nothing works!PeterK