Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Here is a Satellite Pic for you........

FWIW------ I have used all three versions of the FU series and enjoyed them. I havn't attempted to load it on this CPU because I'm not even sure if it's compatible. But I have plenty of HD space and I should try. I am a fan of FS2002 which is rather well known, and have "played" around with FLYII. As to FLYII, my use has been very little. But I did take the following screenshot over mountainous terrain just west of the Los Angeles area. It's based on a 3rd party FLYII scenery using satellite images as does FUII/III. I personally find it quite stunning considering it's resolution is also maxxed at 1024*768. At lower level altitudes I'd have to say that both FS2002 & FUIII beat it for clarity, but from this level, I find it hard to match! What do you think? Without FUIII installed, it's tough to make some high level comparisons.The "Warm Front" post brought up both FUIII & FS2002 comparisons weather wise. This is a FUIII/FLYII satellite comparison. Only I don't have an FUIII shot...L.Adamson

It does look stunning from high above, but how does it look at 2000 ft.? Also what is the resolution (in meters/pixel) of the scenery?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

It does have a "grainier" appearance from low levels, which I'm not fond of. I do not know the resolution of the scenery, nor did I see the specs. This is just one of those times where you recognize true to life areas when flying at commercial airline levels.L.Adamson

Larry,I can't argue the fact that the screenshot is stunning from this altitude. However, it isn't just the great scenery that makes me prefer FU3 to any other flight simulator. I won't bore everyone yet again with the details, but FU3 just has an "atmosphere" completely unlike anything else. Every version of MSFS that I have used (with the possible exception of FS4) has felt "sterile" compared to the FU series. FS2002 feels empty and lifeless, but FU3 feels like a living, breathing world.Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Sorry if I rather lost the point of this thread !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

> FS2002 feels empty and lifeless,Just the opposite for me! Not quite as living as FUIII, but a whole lot more area. Everything from an early dawn takeoff in North Las Vegas with the windsock blowing in a light breeze to the fireworks at 10:00 P.M. on the Vegas Strip! The same applies to float plane flight throughout the remote regions of Alaska. > but FU3 feels like >a living, breathing world.Or at least a couple of cities!Not complaining, but it is FUIII's limitation to small areas, that allows it to become more alive. I find FS2002 to be very alive considering it's world wide. L.Adamson

Guest glidernut

I hardly ever fly at hight altitude, I fined it boring.The ceanary takes fore ever to change.And the lift or dound draft acting upon my glider at hight altitude, takes even longer to chaneg, even a littl bit.All the action fore me is douwn close to the ground.Slope soring with one wing just a fuwe yards away from the edge of a clif.This is where I do all flying, where I can feel the up draftsdown drafts and terbulans.I can only fly like this in FU2-3.Everything looks good at a distance, but its the deatale close upthat maters to me.Iv never understood why peopl want the hole world to fly over.I meen, Iv been flying in FU3 every day sins it cum out, and I can stil get lost in the mountans.Mined you, Im allways lost.I even lost my brane yesterday.Any one seen a brane. glidernut.

I read about your "brain"....................... sorry! :)Other than that, I also love close up mountain flying, both real and simulated. I live in the Rocky Mtn. area, and it's the close up low altitude scenery that counts. When flying commercially, I always want to be flying some of the same areas only much lower! I posted the pic because of the mountains. It was high up but they look quite authentic.L.Adamson -- KSLC

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, you've been flying FU3 for six years and you still get lost?So do I. And I'm not (usually) in a glider feet from the ground - I'mjust following valleys in a little (underpowered) Piper or Cub.I've got to re-read that section on visual flight rules ...

You've Buckley's chance of getting your brain back if I find it first Glider.... I'm still trying to get FU2 AND 3 running together properly again after installing Win XP and I think from your postings here that your brain could get me out of trouble.On scenery, wouldn't it be great if someone developed scenery like FU that would let us fly other places in the world with the same feeling of reality. As us oldies get dodderier and don't travel as much now we could do it vicariously again. Nvidia Earthviewer comes close with that great satellite imagery from out in space to zero feet anywhere around the world. Pity it isn't tied in with sims like Flight Unlimited.Pat

If glidernut's been flying in FU3 for six years, then he must have got hold of a VERY early beta copy ! ;)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

John,I know exactly what you mean about not wanting the entire world to fly around. I always get the feeling that I am wasting huge amounts of my hard disk by installing MSFS. I would much rather have a nice, self contained area with plenty of detail. That's another reason why I think that FU3 is great.I'm sure I'll be able to think of a few more ! :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

With the entire world included, you can fly your 747 on autopilot for 10 hours while you are outside doing something else...how meaningful :)I'd much rather have a smaller area with every little detail included.If you have both FS2002 and FU3, take a look at the Bay Area or SEA in FS2002 and in FU3. There's just so much more detail in FU3. The advantage of having a small area instead of the entire world. I'd have loved to see FU4 on DVD's with twice the resolution and 4 times as much scenery... :(

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jimmi,I'll second the comment regarding FU4 (particularly if it was based on the Hawaiian Islands). Maybe this could be the start of a petition to get FU4 developed.Well, that's TWO names on the list so far...........Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>I'll second the comment regarding FU4 (particularly if it >was based on the Hawaiian Islands). Maybe this could be the >start of a petition to get FU4 developed. >>Well, that's TWO names on the list so far........... >MS and 3rd parties have already done Hawaii, and it's getting better all the time....