Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Ratings

Has anyone else noticed that the ratings have disappeared ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

This only seems to be the case with new posts. The older threads all have ratings displayed. Very strange.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Bob,I think that removing the ratings is a sensible idea. To be honest, I'm not really sure why they were introduced in the first place. I did notice that someone had used the ratings to "attack" Tom Wunder yet again, and that disappointed me.Anyway, a toast for the new, improved AVSIM :-beerchugChris Low,ENGLAND.PS. I don't actually drink beer !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robert_S

I agree with you, Chris. My initial reaction was "Ohhh, bummer." But after just a few moments I found myself relieved. I realized that it was something which was always in the back of my mind, whether worried about being rated negatively, or about not having rated people I should have, especially those who rated me positive. Not worth the concern, all-in-all, so better that it's gone. Its loss makes the whole AVSIM experience a bit "cleaner".Actually, it's just a light root beer. :-beerchug I don't drink beer either.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

I agree it was a good thing, for the long run, to remove the feature. Most of the activity in people rating seemed to die down after the novelty wore off. So, the timing was good. The reason it had to be shut off is a shame, though.

Guest Pieter

I will not make an issue out of it, but I would also like to see the "number of postings, xxxx posts" be removed. I received quite a few times remarks like, or insinuating: "What do you know / have you to say? You only have xx number of posts"..., which is also unsolicited and humiliating. I like most of AVSIM, but of late I don't use these forums that much anymore, except for a quick scan here and there to see if I miss a new this or that. Those wanting a more calm environment seek more personalised forums where people can share a common view or approach to matters in life and games with less (if any!) provocative attitudes. ;-)Pieter

Sounds like you've been running into immature forum members. I tend to avoid some of the highly visited forums because of the higher probability of running into things such as that. The FU, Racing Fools, Rotorhead and BFU forums are very well-behaved. I'm sure there are others here but I'm not a regular at all the forums.Nevertheless, when you do run into such nonsense as you've described, and it exists all over the net, you just have to let it go. If such people can't see past the superficial, they're not worth the time and energy to worry about.I know, easier said than done.

Guest jonpoint

I'm not sad to see it go. When I first joined-up I thought it was a great idea - until I noticed that I'd had one feedback and one point. I found out it was someone here in the office who did it while I was logged-in but not looking. This disappointed me intensly and I realised that the system was worthless. How could 'I' give myself a rating?Some people would post messages like 'why hasn't such-and-such got more points? Their stuff's great' and suddenly, their points would rise. How stupid! Surely the intention was for people to WANT to rate people based on their posts. I know I certainly did but the lack of points in my corner made me feel that my posts were crap and I will admit that I too became reluctant to post anything that I wasn't an expert in (which meant I didn't post much at all).I'm glad it's gone. Back to reality. Reality is a wonderful thing.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Pieter

> anything that I wasn't an expert in (which meant I didn't post much at all).Better watch it, I have twice as much posts than you! emotion icons on ;-) :-lolJust joking, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Then we also may have English interpretation and expression differences as well. This may come to the fact that people actually agree, but keep on haggling just because they understand the words differently! Well at least, although we had our moments in here ;-), the FU forum stays one of the "nicer" ones, I'm happy to answer my namesake, Peter! Unfortunately(?) I know FU2/3 so well by now, I have little to discuss anymore. I'm a teacher by heart, so I like to answer a newbie's question once in a while, and that's where many a war started by those RTFM additions by the immature forum dweller.Pieter

Jon,It was inevitable that idiots would start abusing the rating system. People were even rating themselves, just to get "on the scoreboard". How pointless is that ?I am extremely pleased that they have been removed. As for Peter's comments regarding removing the "number of posts", I have to laugh at the sheer stupidity of some people (not you Peter). Why the hell should someone with 50 ratings know more than someone with none ? All this shows is that plenty of people like to suck up to those who they think are highly respected by the forum community in general.Personally, I treat everyone's posts equally. Most of us have interesting and informative messages to deliver, but there will always be a bunch of mindless idiots out there that just don't have a clue.Keep posting your messages. I for one am interested in what you have to say.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hopefully, Chris' article in PC Pilot will bring more newbies for you :-)

Sorry, I was referring to "Pieter" in my previous post.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pieter

Chris>Keep posting your messages. I for one am interested in what you have to say.Thanks you for the kind words, as I said, the FU forum is one of the nicer ones. Most people here are to simulate flying and those that has lost interest moved to other sims, thus leaving the loyal FU users to enjoy their product!Peter>Hopefully, Chris' article in PC Pilot will bring more newbies for youThanks! ;-) However, I rather prefer to comment on flight related subjects, usually not those that can't get their systems to work. If an old chap like me can work with computers, I mean, then the younger generation who was born with a computer already in the room can surely figure it out. :-lol Learn by trial and error is my motto, not to ask questions out of sheer laziness, but when someone clearly does not understand real life aircraft intricacies then I'm there. Clearly FU3 pilots are on the go... No questions - no answers! :-)Pieter

not to ask questions out of sheer lazinessYep. That's just not curteous.