Sign in to follow this  

I'm Back!

Hi. I have changed my screen name many times, so you probably dont remember me. I left FU3 for FS2k2 for a while. The flying got boring after a while (though i have to admit, the flight caricteristcs of fs2k2 are more realsitic.) I also just got back from another flying lesson. Just saying hi again and I am happy to be back in the FU3 world!-Tom Z

Guest Robert_S

Welcome back to the forum and FU3, Tom! :-waveI remember "Tom Z", so you're no stranger here.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

Hi there!I have also explored other sim's during the last year, but I will notlet go of the FU series.This is too good to let it go,- it is as simple as that.And this forum is Exellent!!!Welcome back!Lars Peter.:-wave

Welcome back Tom. I'll ignore the rather strange comment about the flight characteristics in FS2002 !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>(though i have to admit, >the flight caricteristcs of fs2k2 are more realsitic.)Okay, I'll agree!! :) >also just got back from another flying lesson. Me too, kindof..................... just back from some checkout time in a 172SP in mountain country. I need to remember how to fly Cessna's, cause I'm really "rusty"! Altitude is 8500'msl and peaks are around 11,500'.L.Adamson

Welcome back!I'm particularly interested in your comment on flight characteristics. Your screen name may indicate that you fly the Piper Warrior. If so, what exactly should be changed to make our Pipers more realistic? Hennie uploaded a lot of aircraft with revised flight dynamics last spring -- have you checked these out? In any event, obtaining info from real pilots -- especially pilots flying the aircraft in question -- is the only way to improve on the flight dynamics. Further, useful comments ought to be specific and tell exactly what ought to be changed:pitch axis responseroll axis responseyaw axis responsedragweightbest regards,Hans Petter

Maybe I'll have to load FUIII on this CPU to try the flight characteristics myself. I just don't remember how well (or not) they flew. I do have quite a bunch of real Warrior, Archer, and Arrow time. FWIW-- the Dreamfleet ArcherII does seem quite realistic within the limitations of PC simming.Today, I made a point of rolling the 172SP from side to side, and then a few rudder inputs from side to side for simulation comparison. Then I decided what the ####, because you just don't feel these exact movements in simming anyhow. It's just hard to explain, but different! Kind of like doing intense aerobatics in a sim, but the real thing would have you throwing up and feeling sick for the next half a day!L.Adamson

Yes, the "feeling sick" part is hard to model since we're not being exposed to any G forces while simming. What _can_ be modeled, however, is the realistic response of the aircraft. Real flight training focuses a lot on stall recovery -- basically to teach us what to avoid and how to survive it if we ever go there. I've tried stalls in various sims and this aspect of "as real as it gets" does leave something to be desired. It seems that no sim is capable of modeling a full-fledged stall with the resulting spin. Still, any good flight sim should be capable of modeling "normal" flight rather convincingly, except that you won't ever feel sick, due to the lack of real motion sensory input to your inner ear :-)best regards,Hans Petter

> Real flight training focuses a lot on stall >recovery -- basically to teach us what to avoid and how to >survive it if we ever go there. I've tried stalls in various >sims and this aspect of "as real as it gets" does leave >something to be desired. It seems that no sim is capable of >modeling a full-fledged stall with the resulting spin. I do believe you're right. Microsoft's CFS2 will stall and spin, but it's a bit contrived. Seems as though certain keyboard/stick inputs are required........ and then it's a full fledged spin! But at least you do release that you can't outclimb the opponent forever!! FLY will somewhat model spins, but it's too "slow" for my taste. You get far too much time to realize a spin is about to happen, which gives far too much time to correct for it. Spins are sometimes very immediate!! MS does some convincing wallowing for a departure stall, but not well with altitude. In the meantime, a sim can at least allow for the practice of determining the direction of spin for opposite rudder, because the rotating ground does indeed resemble an actual spin. Getting use to the practice of pulling off power can be memorized in a sim also. Elevator inputs may very from neutralizing to actual forward movements. Simulated aircract mimicking their actual stall/spin characteristics would be great when and if we get there. L.Adamson

Guest glidernut

Welcome back Tom.Glidernut

Larry,Since the original Flight Unlimited was an aerobatics simulator with a rather unique flight modelling system, wouldn't this have been pretty good at simulating stalls and spins ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can't remember back that far. Somewhere around 1993 and 1994 I was taking aerobatic lessons in a Pitt's and do remember making some comparisons. But I don't know if the original Flight Unlimited was before or after that time period. Tooooooooo long ago! :)L.Adamson

hahaha, sorry! i was distracted by FU3 again, so i wasnt ignoring you! I really appritiate the very warm welcome! thnaks!Tom Z

thats a great pic there. is it just me, or do early pilots, like myself, seem to get thristy? it seems i always get thirsty when i fly. any other pilots have this strange condition? By the way, i cannot stress more then to have EVERY person in this forum to take a Intro flight lesson. They only run at 50 dollers and is worth more than any stupid product Bill Gates can throw at you. Go for it!! If you are serious about it, go to www.beapilot.comfor an intro flight, they usually let you fly the plane, which is a great way to adjust flight sims. Thanks for lisiting.PS, i also get sick sometimes, especially when i forget my water and i get deyhydrated. its not fun, but in an hour i want to go back up! ATP licence, here i come. And your right, nothing can simulate that jump in your stomach when you pull back on the yoke at 60 knots. In case you were wondering, I do fly the Warrior II at my lessons. I tried about 3 lessons in a Cessna 152. The 152 is nice because it has two doors and big windows and the wings are high so you can see the ground easier, but i like the warrior because of the diffferent HP. I have only about 16 hours flight time so far. I need 25 hours for solo when i am 16 (in december) and a minimum of 74 hours when i am 17 for my Private Pilots Licence.Tom Z

thanks for asking. I always wanted to answer a question like this (Han's question)! Well, first off, the the speed of which you can bank in almsot all the single engine props in FU3 is VERY oversensitive. Also, when landing with flaps down in a Trainer, it seems strange that the aircraft wants to go nose down into the runway, thus, messing your plane up. This is another fine example of strange flight charicteristics. While FU3 isnt terrible flight handling, it could be a lot better. I will have to get back to you on more of the flight handleing though, i am having another flight lesson on sunday. Cant wait! :-). PS: Glad to be back :-)Tom Z