Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

San Fran objects

Guest R_Driscoll

The program REMAP can be used to convert textures from Seattle to San Fran (or vice versa), provided you have the original GIF file and know how to use MAKEMIP:1) convert the GIF to a MIP: (from DOS), makemip .GIF ./2) load REMAP. Select the region FIRST (as it recalculates palettes as it loads).3) load your .GIF file4) generate the MIP file (the other button on the front screen of REMAP!5) Exit from REMAP. Move both the new MIP and the old BIN file (the BIN file has the model information) to regionssanfrangen6) Start FLED, open a package. Check that the model is OK by selecting it in the Objects - Place Models menu.7) If FLED freezes, don't panic. Just unload your model from GEN.I have uploaded conversions of all except my early models to the File Library. The early models used 128x256 textures and don't seem to work in San Fran. I will redo them in photo textures. Apart from that, no problems at all.And I have put a passenger access ramp, streetlights, and a set of taxiways into the file library. If you want objects for London, I am happy to have a try. I can do best if I have dimensions and photos of the object. Anyone got the plans for the Tower Bridge? I hope to upload reworked versions of the Air Force Bases in a week or so. I have not been able to locate the original Grays AFB author but I don't think she would mind - I still use a lot of her model placement. However I can't use Chris' work as he seems to have started from bare fields with both bases, and it would be exhausting to rebuild all of my work on top of his. Apologies Chris!My versions will be objects intensive. Once you are a short distance from the dense areas though, the graphics load drops quickly because of the way MIPs are created - multiple versions (down to 1x1) within the one file. But my objects have a low polygon count anyway. Itsthose rotters who make planes with 100's (1000's?) of polygons who youshould blame (ducking for cover :-eek See ya later,Robert.

Robert,Which air force bases are you referring to ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

McChord AFB and Grays AFB in the Seattle region.

Robert,I'm not quite sure what you mean by "started with bare fields". Maybe you are referring to the virtually complete rebuild of the taxiways, lighting systems, and AI pathways at these two bases ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

No - not at all. Just that you haven't used the existing packages and added to them. There were pre-existing published packages for both Grays AFB and McChord.Its not a problem - except that I would rather have one package for each location, instead of multiple competing packages. I would like to be able to include your work on taxiways into my work on models, but to do that, I would have to redo hours of work on model placement. I suspect this has happened at other locations too from a quick fly around - there seem to be cases where you have gone back to bare field but maybe there are places where you have built on other people's work. I don't know. Possibly you could publish a list - then it would be easier to know which parts of your package to load and use, and which parts might clash with others. I was very surprised that Sky Harbour was bare - there are several versions of this that have been constructed.So, is there some way we can use your taxiway / AI work, without losing the pre-existing packages? Can packages be combined in some way?