Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

FSFreeware

I have just seen something that puzzles me. I was using the Google search engine to find Laurie Doering's weather upgrades website, and I noticed something familiar about certain FU3 add-on descriptions at a site called www.fsfreeware.com.Yes, you guessed it. It appears that virtually every FU3 add-on that is available (or has been available in the past) at AVSIM is also downloadable from this site.Is this something that everyone here is comfortable with ? Do you mind that your add-on files have been transferred to this site without your permission ?I would like to know your thoughts.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Well, I think its a littel bit norty of them to do it withoutasking permishon.But Im glad thay have.It seems to me that the existans of this sight is good fore FU3.Its all good advrtizing, and we could do with all we can get.Im even a littl bit flatered by it.In my opinion, Good luk to em.Its all to the good.glidernut.

That's a good point John. The only reason that I posted this was because of the infamous "Ferdy chronicles". If you don't know what I mean by this, just stroll on over to the Hangar Chat forum.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi All,Strange, they never ask and they don't have a permission from me.They are using the 2002 uploads, my switzerland uploads (nov. 2001) are not there.:-wave agtim

Guest jonpoint

HMMMM!Noticed my stuff there too! I wouldn't mind so much if I got an email or something from them. What I find interesting is, they've just downloaded the packages BUT they also use the same photo/info text. As I uploaded that as a separate file, they must be grabbing whole pages from the library. I know this has nothing to do with Ferdy et al (I did a quick search) but, what I'm concerned about is this. I created the material specifically as an upload for Avsim. I did it because I believe that Avsim is THE best site relating to my hobby (well, this one anyway - don't see much about dirt bikes here :-LOL )and therefore the most appropriate place for my efforts to reside and be distributed from. I wouldn't know jack s*** about FU3 if it wasn't for this site! Heck, I didn't send a donation to Avsim so their efforts could be swindled for someone else's site.I will not complain any more here. I don't want a bunfight over freeware and they don't charge for it, require membership or attach adware or spyware to downloads. I DO wish that they arranged their downloads a bit better and took the time to remove obsolete versions of files (Rob D's tractor sizing issue etc). I will always recommend Avsim as my preferred site and my uploads will continue to credit Avsim with giving us all the best av-sim site on the planet.I'll get off my soapbox now, have a great weekend y'all :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

What is a definition of freeware ? It can be free distributed, so nobody has to inform the author that he upload it to his site but the file must be unchanged. The author can write in the readme file about redistibution. But, I agree, it's good to inform the author about it and there should be an informations where are the files from.B.Adamski

Jon,The point about obsolete files is a good one. As you know, I combined all of my upgrades into two super packs (Seattle 2002 and SanFran 2002). It appears that the original multiple packages are on offer over at FSFreeware, which may confuse a few people if they access both sites.I agree with Bogdan regarding freeware being freely distributable, but a quick message on this forum describing what they were intending to do would have been nice. It's no wonder that other freeware developers get so touchy about this kind of thing.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hello together,I noticed this also a few weeks ago. For me this thinks are totally OK if they respect the attached readme.txt and copyright claims of each upload!In example I

Hello All,I checked out this site too. They have a page for Uthors stating that they have uploaded only packages that are freely re-distributable. They also say that anyone can write them and ask them to remove their work from that site.Still, I find it odd they didn't email any of the auhors.Regards,Jokke

Guest glidernut

I think the peopl runing that site are of dubius carikter.But peopl lick that are usefall to have around.I meen, if thay were to get a howld of sum thing thay should not have,lick fore instans the FU3 cod source, then thay would publish it.And I fore one would dounlowd it.But Im not holding my breth.john.

Nice one John ;)It's probably a safe bet to assume that the majority of FU3 users would download the FU3 source code, despite the fact that it could be time consuming work !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

OOPS! I have noticed this for about 2 years now and i thought everybody here was aware of this! Sorry! I guess i just thought everybody knew :-)-Tom Z

Guest DLM

>OOPS! I have noticed this for about 2 years now and i >thought everybody here was aware of this! Sorry! I guess i >just thought everybody knew :-) >>-Tom Z Yeah i noticed that too a while back. Since then i always write in the Readme.txt file something in line with "this file may not be uploaded to any other site whitout my (or sometimes J