Sign in to follow this  

how to add more realism.........

I wanted to start this post so everybody can share information on how to make your simulator (FU3 or otherwise) more realistic. I suggest a few things. Please feel free to add your own tips as well! Some of these suggestions people know, some might not, so i might add a few obvious ones in too.-When at idle, ALWAYS increase your throttle until you have your RPM gauge in the 800-1000 range. Most Operating Handbooks (depending on the aircraft) say the same thing. This keeps the engine from stalling and foul the spark plugs when at idle.-Anti-collision lights (the two wingtip strobes) should not be operating when flying through cloud, fog, or haze since the reflected light can produce spatial disoriantation. Also, do not use them when taxiing or when near the ground.-Always use a checklist. I think this one is easy enough. Even if you think you have them memorized, you can still forget.-Lean back some mixture when at high altitutes-never takeoff with carb heatThese rules apply for MOST aircraft. I got this tidbit of information from my Warrior II operating handbook and I wanted to share it with you. I will add more to this post soon.Tom Z

Something else to add for the Archer:At our airports around here (4200-4600' msl) we "lean" right after engine start. About 1/4th on the mixture knob. Before takeoff, it's usually somewhere in between 1/3 to 1/2. "Rule of thumb" is to lean until running rough, and then approx. midway between that and full rich. For the Cessna (before takeoff at high altitude airports), pull or twist the red venier knob until engine just begins to run rough. Then twist in until smooth/high rpms. Then give it another couple of twists "in" to put mixture on the rich side of max rpm.If the knob doesn't twist with flight simulators......... then ??????. The real vernier knobs do twist in and out for "fine" adjustments.L.Adamson

And another one...........Did you know that at high altitude airports, your normal general aviation pattern will usually be larger (ground wise) and the runways longer.Reason is, that with "thinner" air at high altitude airports, your actual groundspeed will be higher in relation to "airspeed". All pattern work, takeoffs, and landings are done using "airspeed" but you're actually covering more ground. The plane takes a longer distance to takeoff and land, as well as a "wider" pattern. If the density altitude is higher, then the run will even be longer.The preceeding is in case..... you didn't know! :)L.Adamson

..........and you guys expect me to "care" about all that technical nonsense ? :-lolFor what it's worth, here are my top tips for flying in FU3.1. Turn on the engine (very important this one).2. Have a natter with the ground controller (what he watched on TV last night, what he had for dinner........oh, and which is the active runway).3. Taxi to the runway (don't forget to let any planes bigger than yours go first).4. ALWAYS make sure that there aren't any planes landing before you taxi into position on the runway (failure to do so can result in a serious amount of overtime clearing up the mess).5. PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN !6. Oh, I forgot. Crank the flaps down a few notches before you follow step 3 (things can get a bit scary when there's only 200 feet of runway left, and you STILL haven't left the ground).7. Enjoy the scenery.....and DON'T WORRY about other air traffic. Let them avoid YOU.8. Ah yes...........landing. Well......er...........point the plane towards the ground ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Gee Chris,You forgot a couple of steps...8. Point the plane towards the ground.9. Hit ctrl+shift+m until all the trees go away.10. Land.11. Hit ctrl+shift+m again until all the trees come back.12. Call your wife, girlfriend, flatmate and show them how you survived landing a 747SP at R&K Skyranch :-hahAmazing what a 9 year old can teach you. I caught her 'driving' the other day. Had a PA28 out on the highway, heading up the mountains! Maybe someone could create a jeep to 'drive' around in - she seemed to be getting quite a kick out of it...Seriously, I too have been attempting to do things 'by the book' a bit more. Specifically, controlling engine power (ie not chopping power quickly) has cleaned up my approaches a lot. Other things like planning approach paths (avoiding go-arounds and power chops) and starting to estimate 'section' times has all helped. I started a new logbook about 1 month ago. It's got 2 crashes in it, thanks to AI-gone-mad but, apart from that, I have a landing for every takeoff - better than my 2-to-1 record of previous :-)It's a long way from the old 'fire 'em up and get out there' from FU1 :-lolJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Pieter

I love these type of discussions, thanks! However, such topics seem to create very little interest. I tried once and let it go due to lack of participation:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=167&forum=DCForumID21http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID21For no obvious reasons it sometimes also end in some exchange of words as well. Maybe to create a good website with such information would be an interesting project to start. Then one can add at leisure interesting topics, especially around FU3 phenomena and realism.Regards,Pieter

I had to read through those topics real fast because I'm in a hurry! But the "moral" of the story is to "lean" and have a "constant speed prop"! :)L.Adamson

I like these discussions too. The airport i fly out of is at 11 feet, so starting with a different mixture setting isnt important.

Guest glidernut

If It looks lick Im going to have a hevy landing in my glider,I start to swet.The reasen is this.Iv got tow big slege hamers held douwn on tow big springs, and thay are held in position by hair trigers which are conected too my PC in such a way that if I crash the glider,the slege hamers are releesed, and I sufer the pane of broken bonse.glidernut.

Good idea! The "sweat" factor makes sim flying a whole lot more real!L.Adamson

Guest R_Driscoll

The sledge hammers sound like a good idea. Could you uploadthem to AVSIM?:-lol