Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

UK status

Guest Quaxo

I have modified the region.cfg file so the airport icons are more or less in the right place now. THIS IS ONLY VALID FOR THE NEW UK-SOUTH REGION, as the old London region was already quite good. I don't know how many of you have this new region, but here are the new coordinates, if you need them:; These are the mappings from world; to pixel coords for region map and vice versareg_map_col1 0.0045 0.00005 0reg_map_col2 0.00003 -0.00450 0reg_map_col3 -1200.0 2380.0 1I have also done 2 new tiles, see the attached map.Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Ok, a new megatile is ready. This one took a long time to do, because the raw data I had lacked 193 images... but primarily because I had a major HD failure. About 1/4 of my files, although apparently present and normal in Explorer, only contained garbage (pieces of other files, seems like the FAT was all messed up). Fortunately this only affected some areas, and only the files I hadn't accessed lately, so FU3 is safe. But FS2K2 is gone, together with hundreds of photos, audio files, and other data :-( ...Oh well, at least now I have 3 Gb more free on the HD...Cristian

Cristian, please burn a CD to back up your work. Actually, you could make two backup CDs and send one to me :-)Seriously, the UK scenery is getting big and we'd all like to try it out. Have you considered a CD version? I'm still using a modem but I'll switch to ADSL ASAP. Still, a scenery add-on of this magnitude could easily be shared on a CD and I'll be quite happy to pay for all expenses + tips :-)Hans Petter

Wow. Didn't realize just how complete the UK region is.Once it's finished you guys should start working on a scenery for Hawaii :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

2 more megatiles are ready. These were somewhat easier, one only lacked 36 photos and the other 60.Anyway, I just realized that the UK region we have now is already bigger than both the original San Francisco and Seattle regions (SanFran: 83 megatiles; Seattle: 100; UK: 102 and growing)!!!CristianP.S. Jimmi: once it's finished, I think I'll start having FUN again with FU3! I think I haven't had a single "pleasure flight" with FU since 3 months!!

I just compared the maps that you've posted in this thread and I see that you're progressing each day! My advice would be to focus on tying the two areas together ASAP. If you get the Poole region (correct?) we may fly within a single, coherent UK area from Cornwall to London :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

The problem is raw data... I don't have the data to do so. I just have the data to "regularize" the London part, to make it rectangle-shaped.And, even if I had the data, have you noticed how big the missing part is? The part I have now is already more than 2 Gb, and I think we would need 4-5 Gb at least to connect the two regions... It's quite much :) !!! This may be done, but must be a long-term project... Personally, I would like to have elevation and more airports on the region currently done... (and classification, and night maps, and AI planes... )Cristian

For me, the biggest problem with the UK region is the funny look of the scenery near the horizon, which, I was told, is caused by lacking low-res tiles or something like that.But I actually think the UK region has better graphics than the other regions. The colors are more lifelike and the detail seems higher?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Jimmi, the horizon problem has been fully solved, now we have a tool to generate all the lower res levels without needing lots of hi-res levels (do you remember my in-flight screenshots? They didn't show that problem).And I agree that this scenery looks much better than SF and Seattle... I think that's because the original photos are in full color, while SF textures come from hand-colored B/W photos... The detail should be quite the same (4 meters/pixel), but maybe our textures are sharper... :)!!!Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Wow Cristian!If you can wait a bit longer; I did get your e-mail, and Ihave got something for you to look at.:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

I completed the last megatile of my 3rd cd of raw data! The data for this one was all an hole, so I preferred to re-download everything instead of downloading hundreds of single images... 248 were missing, and the ones I had were "scattered" all over the area, so I couldn't do long download-runs anyway... I preferred one single long download session. Anyway, now the "semi-final" shape of the region is defined: I have data to complete the square region from the bottom-left corner (left of Isle of Wight) to the top-right corner (north-west of London).Last night I made a flight from corner to corner (all over hi-res terrain) with the Cessna, and it took over than 1h30'!!! Just flyingstraight! :)Cristian

Guest qvdg

Hi Cristian, I didn't quite realise how incomplete the data was when I downloaded it - as you know it was quite a rush. Good to see you are nevertheless progressing well.Cheers,QvdG