Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stearman

Fun in FS2002 (please excuse me)

Guest Stearman

Hi FU3 fellow simmers, since we're all flightsim lovers in general, I guess it won't hurt if I comment on a package for FS2002 I'm really enjoying these days.What can we do, after all, if our superb FU3 aircraft designers won't go for smaller, single engine light aircraft, specially vintage biplanes, as I would love!! :-)The package I'm referring to is the Grumman Duck for FS2002, by Heather Sherman and others... boy, this is FUN! I can't remember any other virtual airplane this "atmospheric", if you know what I mean.Even if nice, maybe this is not (technically) the best FS2002 aircraft I've ever seen (it doesn't feature a virtual cockpit, textures are not reflective, wheels don't turn visually when it taxies), but in turn it includes some nice innovative effects (to me anyway) such as visible flames in the exhaust pipes and smoke trails.But what makes this aircraft completely different is the atmosphere within the cockpit: vintage style panels including simple but funny effects such as windshield wipers, pin-up girl pictures of the forties (do the names of Betty Grable or Vera Lynn say something?), and above all... MUSIC!!Yes, it may sound silly but flying this plane over Chicago at dusk while listening to low-fidelity music of the era (Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc.) along with the engine rumble... boy, it really makes you feel SOMETHING.Among the many liveries available there is one of our fellows at the Bush Flying Unlimited team, and also a British one as seen in the (fantastic) movie "Murphy's War", which apparently has inspired this whole work of art.Well, that's all. I promise I won't come any often with non-FU3 topics, but I'm enjoying this one so much that I felt I had to share it with you all.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d76750d3e1d1f3d.jpgBest regards & happy landings.

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,Very pretty! I love WWII vintage aircraft, especially amphibs. The Duck is a neat one. I have a few Blacksheep Squadron esisodes on DVD... including a couple with Ducks... or probably the same Duck since they aren't that plentiful. Does this version include the cargo/personnel door on the port side of the main float?Thanks for sharing that... great pic too! :)

Guest Staggerwing

Is this one a download from Avsim ?NICE !

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Duck! Heather really did a great job managing the project and making those beautiful paintjobs among many other things.Some of the limitations you mentioned were due to the old 3D model that was used. The original model file wasn't available for editing/updating to add a reflection map and other things.I'm glad you caught the flaming exhaust effect. I wasn't sure how many people would notice it. It's subtle (until you see it) and was a pain in the butt to get working right.Happy flying!Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifDuck Design GroupBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest Stearman

Hi Peter, thanks for showing!I see you're also a part of the DDG, so let me congratulate for this work of art, and please, send my gratitude and congratulations to Heather as well. This is exactly the kind of aircraft I'd like to see in FU3 sometime!>Some of the limitations you mentioned were due to the old 3D >model that was used. The original model file wasn't >available for editing/updating to add a reflection map and >other things. Never worry, I'm enjoying it so much that I don't even miss those details.Blue skies,

Guest Stearman

>Does this version include >the cargo/personnel door on the port side of the main float? No, it doesn't I'm afraid.Regards,

Thanks! FU3 is still my favorite sim and it would be great to have some vintage planes. I like amphibs. Now that Bush Net is running, what I wish most of all was that FU3 supported multiplayer. Flying with others is the best!Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifDuck Design GroupBFU Forums Moderator