Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

Flight Unlimited 1

Actually Springfield works every time now, but as soon as I try to select another region and fly, it crashes. I can click the region from the map and walk around in the FBO but when I choose to take of, I get a *ding* sound from my speakers, the same sound that it plays when there's an error message, only there is no error message, it just quits to the desktop.I tried it both on my main NTFS partition, and I also created a 500MB FAT partition to try it on, but I got the same error both times.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Jimmi, what if you boot in plain DOS (ex. with a boot floppy) and run the sim from the FAT partition? (you may have yo reconfigure the config files though, as DOS will only see the FAT partition and name it as C:... Cristian

So, Pieter, you are also using WindowsXP. Are you using NTFS or FAT?Can you describe exactly how you installed the sim and if you changed any config file or option?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I must be stupid or something. I tried it on my laptop, which has completely different specs from my Desktop computer:P3 500 MHz, 256MB RAM, ATI Rage video, Windows 98SE. The only thing it has in common with the desktop is that they are both running DX 8.1.The exact same thing happened! Springfield works, but no other region. What am I doing wrong?First, I unzip the file from the .zip arhive. Now, I have the flightunlimted.ace file Then, I use WinAce to decompress the .ace file, making sure it includes directoy info. Then, I move that folder to c: and name it flight95. I now have a c:flight95 which contains all the files and directories. The flight95 directory is 138MB big, is that the correct size?

MSFS / XP

does almost exactely the same for meWhen i select anywhere other than springfield, and try to fly then it crashes, if i then start it up again and choose springfield again it doesnt work, i have to unace it all over again to get it to work again.

Guest Pieter

> The exact same thing happened! Springfield works, but no other region. What am I doing wrong?To tell you the truth I haven't tried other regions! I was so happy to climb in the Sukhoi again and experience its wonderful full throat growl and power, that flying it and doing, gasp! at last, aerobatics Class Flight Unlimited again, that I did not even bother to check other regions! I'm not using FU1 for scenery sight-seeing (as I did long ago in the past when it was the first - and parts of FS still looks worse ;-)), but for the flying. Real simulated flight with laminar flow mathematics, the one and only ever to see the light next to X-Plane. The latter being the poorer as it doesn't truly support real hammerheads and vertical climbs. I will check!Pieter

>To tell you the truth I haven't tried other regions! I was >so happy to climb in the Sukhoi again and experience its >wonderful full throat growl and power, that flying it and >doing, gasp! at last, aerobatics Class Flight Unlimited >again, that I did not even bother to check other regions! >I'm not using FU1 for scenery sight-seeing (as I did long >ago in the past when it was the first - and parts of FS >still looks worse ;-)), but for the flying. Real simulated >flight with laminar flow mathematics, the one and only ever >to see the light next to X-Plane. The latter being the >poorer as it doesn't truly support real hammerheads and >vertical climbs. I will check! >I think you need to try the new RealAir Simulations Marchetti SF260 for FS2002. It really does perform simulated manuvers that FS2002 didn't support in the past.L.Adamson

Guest Pieter

>It really does perform simulated manuvers that FS2002 didn't support in the past.I searched for it but it's not free. Thus, that's what I'm afraid about - to pay another US$25 (for a single attachment to a program sold for US$49 in total) just to try one aircraft based on a flight model (MSFS) I don't believe in that much anyway. ;-) Then to discover I (again) wasted more money. For such luxury accessories - demo or none is my motto. My middle name, after many years in flight simulation, is: Gunshy :-lolPieter

It may be a luxury accessory, but worth it. Word is, that around 6000 hours was put into this model between the developers. About 500 went to "spin/stall" characteristics. You can see it in the flight dynamics, virtual cockpit, exterior, sounds, and documentation. No longer does anyone put this much time into a project for a "freebie", and that's just the way it is!Of course, I can endorse this project because a: ----- I've flown the real Marchetti SF260; and b:, I've done real hammerheads,spins,etc. For a simulated aircraft, this plane comes much closer to re-creating the look, feel, as well as sound of these manuvers than any I've run across. L.Adamson

Guest Pieter

Well here lies the problem with the downloaded FU1(Win95), flightunlimted.zip: The archive is not complete!!!Scan the folders (directories for us older chaps). If you detect files that are of similar small size (426 bytes only), especially in the CDROM directory then you are stuck! Those files contain the data for the scenery regions and they are all in the range of megabytes. E.g.: CAT00LG.RES is only 426 bytes and it should be 7419372 (or a similar ca. 7 megs, AUDINSTR.RES is only 426 and it should be more than 50 megs, etc. etc.! (The latter is the instructor's voice sound file FWIW). So those who say they can run the Abondon Ware download fully, has something I don't have and there is no way the ACE decompressor I used is mistaken in its method of extraction...Well, I'm not stuck! :-) I just copied from my original DOS version the files to match and all is restored. However, I did see that in the DOS version of FU I have the following scenery areas: Sugarloaf, Springfield, Skybryce, Sedona, Denali and the French Dinan. The 95 version has the following additional areas: California, Front Royal, New Hampshire, Glacier and French Bordeaux. All of the latter aborts the program when entering, but at least I'm not stuck in only Springfield. ;-)Tha-tha-that's all folks!Pieter

I have the DOS CDROM too.I was hoping I could see the new scenery areas from Flight95 though :(

MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

I just installed the Win95 version. I have the DOS game too... but the Win95 version runs at least 10 times faster, both in loading and in graphics! It's so much better! I copied all the missing files from the DOS game cd, including the instructor's voice and the FBO sounds, but I still miss the "new" regions present in Flight95 but missing in the DOS version.I was thinking: as this is a "abandonware" game now, freely downloadable from the Internet... maybe someone with the Win95 cd could zip and post the missing files for the new areas? I checked, when zipped they're about 2 megs each in size. Just an idea...Cristian

Guest juvat2

Quaxo, I'll gladly do that, but am not sure if it's really abandonware. Some months ago, I bought a "PCGamers Editors Choice" Flight Pak. With-in the box was Hind, F/A-18 Hornet, Flying Corps Gold(to me, the best ww1 sim ever, followed by Knights of the Sky), and Flight Unlimited for Win95. The manual is a 176 pager covering all 4 sims. The re-seller or whatever they would be called is "Graphic Simulations. www.graphsim.com. So, maybe PCGamer magazine and Graphicsim have some kind of deal going on. Be nice to see FU3 and 2 on sale again.I bought it at the Langley AFB Base Exchange.What are the "new" regions in the win95 version?Take Care, Jim B.

Guest Quaxo

Hi Jim, So why do they allow free (and advertised) distribution on the net? Is it possible they just didn't see it? And I checked their site, they don't have Flight95 for sale, only F/A 18. Flight95 isn't even mentioned.Anyway, the new regions are: BordeauxCaliforniaNew HampshireFront RoyalGlacierThe missing files are in the /cdrom/cats folder, and are:- cat06lg.res- cat07lg.res- cat08lg.res- cat09lg.res- cat10lg.res:)Cristian

Guest juvat2

Hi Cristian,I dropped by their sight as well just now. It was, perhaps 3 months ago when I purchased this little gem of a collection. I guess they stopped publishing it-a sad shame. It didn't cost that much either.Fu95 is a really fun sim. Though I had purchased Flying Corps way back when it first came out, then subsequently applied the "gold 3d patch", I had always wanted Rowans "out-of-the-box" Fc Gold. It's really nice and comes with an editor.It was Fu95 and Fc Gold that compelled me to buy this sim collection. The other 2 sims, well, no time for to explore them yet. Much to do and enjoy with the others.Take care, Jim B.