Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

Flight Unlimited 1

This stuff about abandonware is a bit tricky. The game is supposedly no longer for sale anywhere. However, it is not freeware. So while you are not hurting the sales by distributing it freely, you are actually giving away payware software.Therefore, I do not think you should upload the missing files to the AVSim library or anything, they could get in trouble (though I think it should be OK). However, I see nothing wrong with putting them on an FTP server, or emailing them to whoever wants the files.I checked my Flight for DOS CD and the .res files appear to be about 4.5MB each, but around 2.5MB each when zipped. In that case, the size should be manageable, provided you have the DOS version and the scenery areas it contains.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Tonight I just tried again the "rolling turn" lesson... I scored 8.1... Hey, I had forgotten how tough this manoeuver was!!! If I recall well, my best score (back in the good old days) was 8.6... How do you guys score at this manoeuver? Have you ever tried it?Cristian

Ahhh good old FU1! One of my all time favourite sims. Nothing has come close to it's feeling of reality in aerobatic flight. I was using it to practice when I was doing aerobatics in a real Citabria, and everything was exactly the same! Including the engine sound, the responsiveness, the sound of the wind when you dive for airspeed.. I think I'll load it onto my computer again one of these days. And the aerobatic lessons in it were very useful to me.

I finally got the file and tried to install it. Yes, I know I'll need to get the missing scenery files from someone but my immediate problem is, what on earth is an ACE file? I browsed through this thread and found WinAce being mentioned. The only archive formats that I'm familiar with are *.zip and *.rar and I need to learn where to get WinAce.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hi Hans,WinAce is an archiver similar to WinZip. You can download it on the same site where you found FU1 (the "classic trash" site) under the "tools" menu.Cristian

Yes I got WinAce and extracted the files. A bit funny that the file came as "flightunlimited.zip" and then there's another compression format inside. I've got WinRar so I would have recognized the rar extension.Anyway, it quit to the desktop, not being able to find "cokres". Then I found a configuration file with paths that had to be changed. Unless you put it in C:Program Filesflightunlimited as the CFG refers to you'll have to change those paths.Now I'm struggling with making my controls work. The joystick works (sort of) and I don't expect to get the rudder pedals working. However, I need to be able to trim the aircraft. I tried the FU3 key commands but most are different. My joystick throttle doesn't work but numpad plus and minus controls the throttle. To be able to enjoy this sim I'll need to get basic joystick functions and learn the required keyboard assignments.Maybe we could use some of the terrain textures in FU3's outer terrain?best regards,Hans Petter

>Ahhh good old FU1! One of my all time favourite sims. >Nothing has come close to it's feeling of reality in >aerobatic flight. Until now.................The RealAir Simulations Marchetti SF260 for FS2002 ( a sim that in the past couldn't do a decent spin) has now got to be the best aerobatic air.files in PC simulation land. It's ability to do spins, slips, hammerheads, snap rolls, tail slides and more has to be experienced!!!And BTW---- I remember FUI back in the old days also. I too found it interesting because I was taking aerobatics myself in a Pitt's S2B. Did the recent download for nostalgic purposes, but it wasn't easily compatible to my CPU......and deleted.L.Adamson ----- SF260 VC cockpit, somewhere in a snap:

L. Adamson, you mentioned this aircraft in a previous post and I'm interested. What's the URL to the website?However, if this FS2002 payware add-on aircraft does model stalls and spins it means that the "flight engine" is able to support it. Which further means, with a revised air file and / or aircraft.cfg any FS2002 aircraft could model stalls and spins. It would be very useful to get a basic Cessna or Piper trainer react to abuse as the real aircraft would.best regards,Hans Petter

>>However, if this FS2002 payware add-on aircraft does model >stalls and spins it means that the "flight engine" is able >to support it. Which further means, with a revised air file >and / or aircraft.cfg any FS2002 aircraft could model stalls >and spins. It would be very useful to get a basic Cessna or >Piper trainer react to abuse as the real aircraft would. According to what I read, RealAir had to spend approx. 500 hours on modeling the "spin" characteristics. Just figure it's manipulation, black magic and spells! :) Of course every flight simulation is a product of trickery because no air is moving over no wings...Even those simulations that attempt to model airflow, such as X-Plane, need some manipulation to get a closer to correct feel an numbers. I've run a lot of simulations over the years, and this SF260 really does have the reactions, looks, and sounds to become very convincing! It's actually good enough to become a training method for slips, stalls, and spins.http://www.realairsimulations.com/L.Adamson

There is all ok in the winace archive but,There is just 1 destination file in the set: CAT03LG.RES 4707930 byteslocated in the GENPILE folderthis is the default destination. When you change the destination then the choosed destination file CAT0xLG.RES is copied from the CDROM/CATS folder to the GENPILE folder and so the only working destination is overwritten with an empty file of 426 bytes. All other destinations are not in the package to avoid a zip file of more than 100MB.so first after installation copy CAT03LG.RES from GENPILE folder to the CDROM/CATS folder to have it on a safe place. The missing resource files CAT0xLG.RES can be copied from the DOS version, if available.Do not change the language. There are valid files for the english version only. All other files are just the 426 bytes place holders in the french, german folder inside the CDROM folder.There are 2 files for each destination. CAT0xSM.RES the small resource with just the landscape around the BFO CAT0xLG.RES the large resource with the full landscape, including the small part.For a flight you must have the large resource file. The resource files can be handled with the ResViewer from Gideon Pertzov.You will see hex values only, but the files are targa 256 color images of the landscape texture and the elevation.The palette is in file 1Example:Cat00sm.res small resource (the center of the region only)use Palette of File 1 in RGB mode The Bitmaps are TARGA using Palette of file 1You must export as hex and build the TARGA-Map with a hexeditorThe First 30Bytes are a header, then follows the rr gg bb color bytescopy this part into a targa picture using a hexeditor.example: file 10 color bytes start with B9 DB E6 this is the top left coner pixel.Files: 264 281 298 315 333 351 369 381 403this 9 256x256 bitmaps of size 65536 are the area of DenalyFiles: 265 282 299 316 334 351 370 382 404same as above but as 128x128 bitmaps of size 16384Files 266 283 300 317 335 352 371 383 405same as above but as 64x64 bitmaps of size 4096next set is for 32x32 bitmaps of size 1024next set is denaly as 16x16 bitmapthen as 8x8 bitmap, 4x4 bitmap, 2x2 bitmap and as last 1x1 bitmap as file 272!Elevation map as 65x65 bitmapfiles: 257 274 291 308 326 344 362 379 396Cat00lg.res large resource (the full region)file 1568 are for cloudshttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/fu1res.jpg:-wave agtim