Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

New terrain texturing

Guest R_Driscoll

I am trialling a new method of adding textures to airports. Its not completely worked out yet. I am posting a few pictures to give you some sort of idea of what is possible.The first two pictures show the old SEATAC airport, more or less as delivered by Looking Glass.The remaining pictures have added taxiway, concrete and line textures, blended in so that the transition from default to added should not be visible. I.e., no straight lines, grass where its supposed to be, etc.I have only done the Control Tower side (i.e. the eastern side of the airport. I am still working out ideas.Shot 8 shows me on perfect approach to the taxiway. Oops.A couple of shots show the detail around the terminal,including several new objects.I can't release this package as it clashes with New Seatac, which I didn't realised until I had started. Doesn't matter - I will keep developing this texturing method and apply it to some place where no-one has gone before ... if I can find one ...Robert D.

Guest jonpoint

Rob,Good to see you and the Mazda survived the hols :-) As for shot #8, why is it that approaches to taxiways and wrong runways are always so smooth? When I first started flying the DC3 I did a lot of 'taxiway landing' - you know that lovely kick in the tail after touchdown? Got pretty adept at dodging taxiway signs at 60kts too - guess it's not really a useful skill in real life ;)Taxiways? I've been doing much the same thing - see my 'Clare's Valley' posting tomorrow. I've been pretty busy on some modelling too as you will soon see!I started doing this to have recognisable taxway textures in OT and then got hooked. So far, I've had a go at Coupville, Sequim Valley and R&K but these are just from the top of my head - I don't have any real-world pix to base them on. It would be nice to have some good photos to go from.Doing taxiways like this is good though, they're only one pixel and can have built-in lighting ('coz I hate FLED lights - actually, see my 'models' posting tomorrow - runway/taxiway lights are there in abundance, along with clearance lights and a cellphone tower - with lights...).Oh well, must push off home and get the uploads ready :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

How did you know it was the Mazda? (it MIGHT have been the Ferrari).I look forward to seeing your latest efforts! The method I'm using here is a lot harder than making objects, thenadding them to a package, and very time consuming. But the results blend in beautifully with the existing graphics, giving a more real effect.For example, in Pic8 you see a harsh line separating my textured taxiway from the default taxiway - that's the edge of where I have got to in texturing. But to the right of this, you can see the taxiway blends into the surrounding graphics near the gas tanks (But I have added white lines for taxiway edging).As to landing on taxiways - I was only doing this because I couldn't see any other planes in sight, so I knew it was safe :-) And the radio was off.