Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Motherboard

My PC suffered from boot failure. More and more I heard that the fans started spinning as I turned it on and that was all I got. Finally it refused to boot on every attempt and I took it to my local "PC doctor". It turned out that my motherboard was damaged. I got another one, complete with a new processor. I'm currently at 1.2 Ghz and I'm anxious to see to what extent this improves the fps. However, I've disabled a sick drive and will get a replacement on Monday. Without the sick drive being plugged in my E drive reads as D. Since my flight simulators are set up with the path E:flight simulators... there's no point trying to launch them until I get this partition back as the E drive. Otherwise all internal CFGs pointing to Eflight simulators... will mess things up since everything is currently being read as D... best regards,Hans Petter

Guest juvat2

HI Hans,Sorry to here about your mobo. I too, had a mobo go out on me(kind-of). It was an Asus A7V-133. It went poof when I initiated one of Asus' auto bios update programs. The boards fine, I just got to send the bios chip in and get the bios installed on it. Went and bought a Aopen AK73-Pro(a) as an interim replacement. So far its been ok, not as fast as the Asus, and it doesn't have raid, but will do till I stop being lazy and get the Asus boards bios chip fixed.So far been ok using Maxtor brand HD's. Except that time when the ata133 one temporarily boogered out on me.(Knock-on-wood).Best of luck getting your system 100% Hans,Take care, Jim B.

Guest twsimfan

Hans,Being currently grounded myself from hardware problems you have my full & complete sympathy! At least it sounds as if you will be back in the air long before me... my new system wont be here for a couple of weeks.

Guest jonpoint

Hans Petter,'Without the sick drive being plugged in my E drive reads as D. Since my flight simulators are set up with the path E:flight simulators... there's no point trying to launch them until I get this partition back as the E drive. Otherwise all internal CFGs pointing to Eflight simulators... will mess things up since everything is currently being read as D... 'You can (and should) 'fix' your drive letters! I often use an external ZIP drive and a USB drive as well. Doing this has forced me to 'lock-in' my drive letters which is easy. You can still do it while you're waiting for your replacement drive. Just go to your hardware settings (right-click 'My Computer', click on 'properties' then 'device manager', 'drives' then the drive you want to 'fix'). Click the 'settings' tab and you'll see the drive letter assignment setup. Please read the associated help stuff for interest's sake. You will need to fix each one (start with C) and reboot to verify it. I lock my HD's as C&D, my CDROM as E, my burner as F, the ZIP drive as G and the USB drive as H. Then, should you remove any drive from the system, your drive letters won't change.Of course, if you have XP, I haven't got a clue :-(Happy simming :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

The above description is for Windows 9x.If you're using XP/2000, go into Administrative Tools, Computer Management, then under storage you should have Disk Management. Right-click the drive you want to change the letter on, and choose change drive letter.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP