Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

OT - An unexpected deal

Guest Quaxo

This morning I was in Porta Portese in Rome, it's one of those "bug markets", like Portobello in London... There was a man selling obsolete computer hardware, but I found something which puzzled me. Sure enough it didn't look like a PC peripheral, is had a more "aeronautical" look...... And it was a VOR! A massive, big, heavy, fully-digital (LCD) VOR receiver! I asked for the price, and the man wanted 3 Euros... I offered 2, and he accepted :( !!!Back home, I never hoped for it to work - But it works! Now I have a real working piece of a real big aircraft :) ! Will have to put it in my FU3 cockpits... ;-)Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Ahem...slight correction needed..that would be a VHF Navigation receiver to give it its correct definition :-)What model is it then? And how about a picture?:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Hi Pete,Sorry, I "mixed" the transmitter and the receiver :) !The make is "Duina Navionics", model Nav-101. Reading the dates on the IC's, it seems that it has been manufactured in 1976.It's big, the panel is about 25cm x 9 cm, and it's 12 cm "deep".The front panel is brownish (quite dark), it has two LCD displays, one big to the left, indicating the radial and a "graphic" needle; one smaller to the right, indicating the frequency.On the bottom there are some switches/buttons/knobs, to:- Select the mode (Mode 1 indicates which radial you're on, Mode 2 operates like a normal NAV unit: you set the radial and watch for the needle moving).- Select the radial (3 buttons, one for each digit)- Set the audio volume- Choose between Audio and Ident (I don't know what changes, as there is no internal speaker and I don't know where to plug one)- Select the frequency (3 buttons)- Turn it on/off/Standby.I have poor reception though, as 1) I'm on the ground, 2) I have no antenna. I just plugged a wire in the antenna connector...As for the picture, well, I don't have a digital camera: you'll have to wait that I develop a "ordinary" photo...Cristian

Guest Henri Kauhanen

Wow! Nice one.I was quite happy when my grandpa found some old radio, computer and other electronics devices last summer for me to wreck and examine. More educational than in physics lessons, I'd say. :) But that receiver, now that is something!Looking forward to seeing the pic.:-wave