Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Races coming?

Guest jonpoint

Dunno if it's all this talk about resurrecting the GeeBee R2 or what! Saw something spring-up over the weekend - looks like someone's planning an airshow :-eekUnfortunately, it's very close to SEA - my attempts to fly around it were greeted by some very unhappy comments from the ATC staff. Should've known better...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3db362c67a7a5064.jpgThis is about as close as I got for a good shot from the air.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3db362517962352c.jpgWent and landed and had a look.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3db363137ae0a19e.jpgLooked so good I was still there at sunset ;) Actually, the FAA had detained me for questioning for 4 hours. Once I pointed out that it was only a simulation they let me go :-kewlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3db363417b3a2d4d.jpgJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

I'm not sure I can handle a GeeBee. Do you think I could sneak a trainer past the officials? Or a Piper Cub - not bad for cornering.OK, make the race ALL corners - no straights, and I'll fly the Cherokee with full flaps - like the Indy 500.I assume the poles are frangible? I don't want to run into one of them and lose another plane! And by the way, congrats again on the Clare's airport package - its brilliant! I love the way you have trees on all the skylines - you've brought package development a long way from a simple FBO and runway. But the valley itself even without the package is beautiful. That's a great discovery.One small complaint - about neighbourhood noise. I was quietly flying around the valley in the Baron King minding my own business, and these hooligans on bikes were making a horrendous noise. Kids these days ... Look forward to the racing package!Robert D.

Guest jonpoint

Rob,"I'm not sure I can handle a GeeBee. Do you think I could sneak a trainer past the officials? Or a Piper Cub - not bad for cornering.OK, make the race ALL corners - no straights, and I'll fly the Cherokee with full flaps - like the Indy 500."I set up two pylons and tried flying around them with the Sukhoi - suffice to say, pylon racing takes a lot of nerve! You really have to 'corner-to-corner' the thing - I found myself snapping the throttle off, kicking the tail with the rudder then gassing it again around the pylon. Gas it too early and you just end up in a wide arc, presumably with the other racers now ell inside your line (and in front of you). I hit the ground a few times too - knowing just when to gas it is important - when you kick the tail, you lose a lot of airspeed and must start pouring the throttle on straight away BUT NOT 100% or you'll end up in the arc previously described. This is much harder than R/C racing :-kewl"I assume the poles are frangible? I don't want to run into one of them and lose another plane! "I haven't got a clue how to do this. I'd like to make the flag 'soft' if possible. Otherwise, the tower'll rip the wings off a 747... If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. I was going to make my small trees 'soft' as well, before I release the Sanfran versions :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Staggerwing

Oh yeah... looks good, LET'S RACE :-)Of course it's fun to race "cross country" too.. we can always just drop our time slips into the box here at Avsim forums.