Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Screenshots from two failed Beechjet flights

Here is a bunch of screenshots from two failed attempts to complete a Beechjet flight between Scotts Valley and Marin County. However, I now understand why I was having problems with the thrust reversers. When I think about it, the situation makes perfect sense. In short, the keyboard controls for this only seemed to work when they felt like it, but I have just realised that the "buckets" can't be stowed until the thrust has been reduced. I was trying to unlock them before reducing the thrust, and it obviously didn't work (due to it not being a good idea to be at full power when doing so) :-)The two failed landings were different. The thrust reversers failed to deploy properly on my first attempt, resulting in a serious runway overshoot. The second attempt saw me unable to stow the thrust reversers properly, resulting in me careering backwards down the runway with reverse thrust at FULL POWER ! It's a good job this is only a simulator ;)Damn, that's just wasted around 90 minutes of my valuable time :-)I will just have to try again tomorrow.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

This plane is for for bigger airports rather. I know that it's very difficult to land this plane at small airports, so you are good pilot, but this plane is generaly for high and long flights to big airports.B.Adamski

From Raytheon homepage:"Landing Distance At 12,000 lb: 2,900 ft""Take-Off Field Length At 13,500 lb: 2,885 ft"So, you can get it in and out of fairly small airports :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Bogdan,Thank you for the compliment :-coolIt has taken me four attempts to land this plane properly at Marin County, but at least I finally managed it. I have landed it on the runway all four times, but it was the thrust reversers that have given me grief. Now that I know the routine for using them, I should have a better chance of first time success :-)I will try and upload a short Beechjet flight video to the FU3 file library shortly, just to prove that I really can land it at one of these small airfields ;)Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jimmi,That must make me pretty good, because I have landed it at Travis Aero Club, Garibaldi, Scotts Valley and Marin County so far........and they are considerably less than 2900 feet. Mind you, I always said that the brakes in FU3 appear to be rather TOO effective. Once I progress to the larger runways, landing should be a piece of cake :-)As for the take off, I have needed slightly more than 2000 feet to get the main gear off the ground.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've assigned the FU3 thrust reverser to a joystick button. This really helps me engage it at the right moment with no fumbling to find the correct key. Whenever you engage / disengage thrust reverser the thrust needs to be at idle.best regards,Hans Petter

Dear Hans, Your approach to the thrust reverser issue is most pragmatic. I wish to add as follows:1. The Beechjet really has to touch down before unlocking the reversers.2. About stowing the reverser, you cannot use the keypad 0 and . for braking and hit keypad - to idle the engines before stowing. Using B to brake is a somewhat brutal solution. Alternatively, one should use a joystick throttle.Lior

Lior,I'm not sure that Hans was suggesting that I unlock the thrust reversers before I touchdown. Needless to say, I don't partake in this highly dangerous activity :-)I certainly agree with him that using a joystick button to control the thrust reversers is a good idea, and I may well do this myself.With respect to using "B" for braking, are you suggesting that pressing a key to activate the brakes isn't a realistic solution, or are you maybe hinting that the brakes shouldn't be used at all ? If it is the latter, you may well find yourself struggling to stop on a runway only 2000 feet in length using thrust reversers alone.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,What I'm insinuating is using two fingers to operate the brakes, another the throttle and another the thrust reverser key is too much in the way of finger gymnastics, and that the parking brake shoud be used instead of the individual wheel brakes. I am sorry if this was not understood from my message.Lior

I agree that "finger gymnastics" is not recommended :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

wow wonderful pics Chris!nice flight too.CheersShelton