Sign in to follow this  

Attention model makers !

The release of the DC-3 package shows that really good add ons for FU3 are still possible - but what I want to know, is, HOW is it done?WHAT programs are used to generate the models for FU3? Can G-max be used or is it something else, something more "high end"? My next question, is, no matter what the program - can it use meshes that are in DXF format as imports? Why I ask is that I have made many models for X-plane, and those meshes can be converted to DXF, I believe. Therefore we are more than halfway home to having some new aircraft for FU3 if I can supply those meshes - what we really need are some 19-30 seat commuter turboprops, like the BAe 31 Jetstream, Beech B1900D, Fairchild Metro III or EMB 120, etc, then perhaps some "light " heavies... say Fokker 70 or DC-9 or 727-100 or 737-200. And maybe some more light twins; much as I like the Baron it would be nice to have, say, a Cessna 340A or 421, Piper Seneca V or Cheyenne, stuff like that.So come on one of you talented geniuses that has made planes for FU3 - how did you do it? What did you use?CheersBrian D Ford

Guest Staggerwing

Brian,Oh there's SO much info on this here in the forum :-) Just do a "search" and you'll see pages of posts on it.Why only this week there was some good talk on the subject... look down a few subjects and see:"HELP IN AIRCRAFTS MODELLING!"But NO Gmax will not work and it takes some VERY expensive ($3k) software to do it.I just bumped "HELP IN AIRCRAFTS MODELLING!" up so you can find it at the top :-)

Hi Tom and thanks for that.Yes I saw that (and other) rather volumous topics and had a bit of a wade through them - but being lazy I thought I'd just ask a direct question and see what direct answers I can get. From what I can see the results are1) FU3 doesnt use Gmax.2) It does use 3D Studio or the like - sadly thats a software title beyond the reach of most.3) Whether 3DS can use imported meshes in .dxf format - jury is still out. What I am hoping is the answer to that last one - I'd so I'd like to converting one of my x-plane meshes to a .dxf format and seeing if someone can import that and convert that to a .3ds file?The queston is, which plane? What would people most like to see next? more news as it comes to handTTFNBrian

Guest jonpoint

Brian,"The queston is, which plane? What would people most like to see next?" Oh no! Do you know what happened last time someone asked that question? Or the time before? You WILL probably get lots of hints so I won't bother to suggest any (My favourite came about this way too, Ansgar had just finished the 747-400 and asked what else people might want - the result was the DC3). I am currently working (with increased vigour) on the GeeBee R2 which was converted from an FS model but never finished. Ansgar has been helping me with the steep learning-curve 'coz 3D modelling is not something I know much about (or even own software for). All my models so far have been either created from scratch as 'e' files (textfile-based 3D scripting) or use converted 3DS models from the web. I have been rather disappointed with the 3DS - 'E' - BINfile conversions and haven't released any of the 3DS-based ones yet.Your suggestions for aircraft are valid although I suppose FU3 DOES favour smaller aircraft - a 717/DC9 would be nice but I'd rather have a 737-800 if it needs a real runway. Otherwise, something good for 2500 - 3000ft strips is OK, like a Saab 340. Sorry, I wasn't going to suggest anything but I could see a Kendell 'tribute' 340 in FU3, easy!This was some of the motivation for VH-ABR. I have relatives in the industry, including one ex-Ansett. I'll shut up now... :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Brian,BRITISH AEROSPACE JETSTREAM 41, preferably in British Airways Union Flag livery. Go on, you know you want to ;)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Hi Brian,An airplane I would like very much is the 737-800. This aircraft is the only reason why I still haven't uninstalled FS2002!!! :) And, it would also be perfect to fly in the huge UK region... ;-)Cristian

Guest Motormouse

>Brian, >>BRITISH AEROSPACE JETSTREAM 41, preferably in British >Airways Union Flag livery. Go on, you know you want to ;) >>Chris Low, >ENGLAND. Yep Chris, and I'll test fly it.....:-loloh, and you'll be able to use Tom Woods Fs2k2 cockpit, cos I providedthe original photos!!:-wavePete

Guest Motormouse

Ah, well, thats' as soon as I win the lottery,to get that 3d studio software, last time I looked it was