Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Best 3dfx driver for Win2000?

As I upgraded my OS to Win 2000 I found myself looking for drivers. I found one that works with my Voodoo 5 5500 but I'm wondering if there's a better one. 3dfx didn't exist anymore when Win 2000 was out so we're talking third party / hackware. Which driver did the Win 2000 guys among you settle for?best regards,Hans Petter

I would check http://www.voodoofiles.com/That's where I got info and drivers back when I had a Voodoo5.You may not like it, but maybe it's time to let go of the 3dfx card. 3dfx closed their doors several years ago and no new drivers have been developed since. They are all hacked and modified versions of the original drivers. You can get a Geforce4 Ti4200 for very cheap nowadays. A card like that is not only much faster, new drivers are also released frequently to fix any bugs and problems with new operating systems, and you'll have full support for Win2000.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

Hey, you can't stop using computerware just because the company closed the doors.(or I would have to give up FU3. I will not NOT NNNOOOOOTTTTTT arrgghhhhhh (dragged off kicking and screaming ... ) )

Thank you guys! Regarding the card being old by now, this is an issue for new and upcoming features. It works fine for FU3 as well as FS2002. On the other hand, FU3 gets a line through the panel when being used with new Nvidea cards.It all worked fine with the Win98 OS. It works fine on Win2000 too, except for some strange FS2002 issue and I might as well broach this issue directly. Often, as I launch FS2002 the menu doesn't go full screen. Rather than being centered it starts in the upper left corner and covers about 70% of the screen. Then, as I select or create a flight and hit "fly now" I get a black screen for a moment and then the desktop. The sim ends up being minimized as a tray icon. When I click this tray icon the sim tries to go full screen again. Usually it works after a few attempts and as soon as it does the problems are solved. I may also minimize the select menu before creating a flight and try to make it go full screen by clicking the tray icon. If I'm successful the aircraft preview looks haywire, much like the FU3 aircraft in outside view the moment they cross from outer terrain into SanFran. However, I'm able to select a flight and once the flight loads everything is fine.This must be some graphics issue and I suspected that the new video driver might be the culprit. FU3 works fine with this driver.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Staggerwing

Hans,Not a bottom line answer, just some info for the puzzle :-)I'm running a V5 card (Win98) and both FU3 and FS2002 run just fine.I've not had the problem you describe above... I'm using 3Dfx driver version 4.12.01.0666 dated 11/2/2000with "tools" version 2.4.0.86Not sure if this version supports Win2000 or not.For future software and hardware I'm sure I'll have to go to a newer version of Windows and latest video card to make new things work, but for now I'm very pleased with what I've got.Best,

Sorry guys, but this is a strictly FS2002 thing. I figured that I might post it on some FS forum but I found none that seemed right. This forum is the only one with Voodoo 5 5500 savvy participants.Since I upgraded to Win 2000 and had to switch to another 3dfx driver I get a FS2002 "create flight" screen that doesn't go full screen. If I set up a flight with this one I'll end up with a black screen. But then, if I minimize it and click the icon a few times I MAY get a full screen menu that works eventually. Well, it works but the aircraft preview is on LSD ;-) Another person replied that this is an obvious FAA issue -- the video card is trying to force some measure of FAA on an application beyond that which it's being able to support.I've been trying to upload some images for a couple of days now, using various browsers. All I get is:FILE UPLOAD ERROR - PLEASE CONTACT YOUR ADMINREMOTE UPLOADING DENIEDAnyway, I'll need to talk to someone who knows what quirks the Voodoo 5 card may be displaying here. It all worked fine on the Win98 OS and the drivers that I've used for Win 2000 work great for everything else. As mentioned, it's all fine for FS2002 too, once I manage to "kick" the sim into loading a flight. You'll be pleased to know that FU3 works flawlessly though and I'm really enjoying the higher processor speed :-)best regards,Hans Petter