Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

New system...

Guest twsimfan

Guys,I'm on my new system now. Good news is that I managed to get onto the net. But that is all I have managed so far. I might be scarce for a few days while I am getting things setup. XP is... ahhh... Different. :)

Good luck Tom. I hope that you get FU3 working OK.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Stearman

>I'm on my new system now. Good news is that I managed to get >onto the net. But that is all I have managed so far. I might >be scarce for a few days while I am getting things setup. XP >is... ahhh... Different. :) Hi Tom... yes, XP sure is different, but not more stable or "better" in any other way than Windows 98 SE[b/], the best OS ever by MS for home computers (according to my experience anyway).Differences (namely)...1) Limited number of re-installs (clever, uh?),2) A completely (and unnecessarily) changed organization of menus, etc. which seems just intended to be confusing, 3) Addition of the user profile/attribs system from Windows NT and derivatives (for a home computer? ...really!!), and4) Addition of a variety of tools (decent graphics manager, data compression utilities, etc.) which we all have covered by popular competitor products since ages (monopolistic trends again?).Well, that's my opinion, but of course this is a lost battle: bet XP will be a requirement for FS2004 or whatever it will be named.I hope you'll eventually have all the issues fixed and (specially) don't miss too much your wonderful V5-5500.Happy landings...

Guest Rich Wren

Your first job should be to get the thing out of Teletubbie mode. Once you do that you should find that the desktop/start menu operates almost the same as in 98.Good luck finding where all the files have been moved to though...

1. You can reinstall as many times as you like. What you can't do is change the hardware too much. If you do, you have to call Microsoft and re-activate Windows XP. No big deal unless you upgrade every week or something :-lol2. You can go back to the old desktop if you like that better. I personally think it's good that they changed a couple of things. I mean, if all changes are for the worse, we might as well stick with DOS. All those menus are just confusing...3. You can switch to a simplified mode and not have to worry about that. With everyone getting broadband hacking becomes more of a threat, so I think it's good to have some security.4. Can't argue with you on that one. I personally wish M$ would release a Windows XP "lite". I don't need Media Player, image tools, movie makers, instans messaging, etc. etc. thank you.Also, remember that WinXP is built on NT, and as such is much more stable than Win9x. If one program crashes, it won't take the entire system down. For example, if FU3 would crash under Win98 (for example after isntalling an incompatible package), I would get a black screen and have to hit Reset on the computer. With WinXP, all that happens is that FU3 exits and I get kicked to the desktop.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest twsimfan

Rich,"Your first job should be to get the thing out of Teletubbie mode."Any advise on how to do that?

Jimmi,What happens when FLED crashes under Windows XP ? It normally freezes under Windows ME, requiring a complete system re-boot. Does this also happen with XP, or does it just crash back to the desktop ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Tom, right-click the desktop, choose properties and then select Windows Classic in the Themes list.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I haven't used FLED that much. If you tell me how I might induce a crash, I could try it I suppose.

MSFS / XP

Jimmi,I'll tell you the best way to induce a crash with FLED. Just do something with it !Crashing is most definitely the job that FLED was born to do :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Tried just placing some random 3D objects and zooming in and out but that didn't make it crash...

MSFS / XP

Guest Stearman

>4. Can't argue with you on that one.Argue? Who wants to argue...? :)It's good to see there are still people ready to stand up and voice opposite opinions.Thanks for your input, best regards.

Guest jonpoint

You wanna make FLED crash?Open an airport, then a package. Move a couple of things ain each. Then, just try to close FLED (following the prompts), remembering to say 'yes' when saving changes. Of course, you would be wise to backup the airport and package directories first 'coz you're gonna trash your airport...Works for me every time (every time I forget to close the package first) :-grrJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,Have you ever added lots of trees (saving frequently), but not actually closed the package ? If FLED crashes before you have closed the package, then it's quite possible that a LOT of those trees will not be there when you reboot, even though you saved countless times during the "planting".Now THAT is frustrating :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jimmi,Try moving around the high resolution scenery area by dragging the slider bars. If you still can't get FLED to freeze, then you are one lucky b............:-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png