Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

A discovery on flt3.cfg (better haze!)

Guest Quaxo

I was experimenting with the flt3.cfg file... I was trying to obtain a better haze, and was experimenting with the haze methods. In the readme files, it seems that the best haze should be with "specular", followed by "Multipass", and the worst being "fog".But I tried "fog", just to see what happened, and in my opinion now the haze is much much better. It has a more "foggy" aspect, and you can see the distant mountains more and more "blending" with the haze... Give it a try. These are my new settings:use_haze_cache haze_cache_size 2048000TerrainHazeMethod fogModelHazeMethod fogSkyHazeMethod fogHazeMethod fogCristian

The color of the haze looks better, but there's a not so nice side-effect.The haze is somewhat blocky

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Hm. You're right... I didn't notice that because while testing, I wasn't flying over water, and the blockiness is only visible over water...Seems like I'll have to experiment some more...Thanks,Cristian

Guest jonpoint

Cristian (and others!),It does appear that, quite apart from haze settings, certain video cards show different effects. I use an Nvidia GE2MX card which does a so-so job in specular but a good job in multipass. Nvidias have a very 'aggressive' FSAA which causes sky banding if you do not use haze. Voodoo5 cards appear smoother in some cases. ATIs are different again - I'd love to try one sometime.Some shots with an Nvidia GE2, multipass haze, 1.4x1.4 (2x)FSAA, anisotropy on highest setting, mipmapping etc set for best image quality.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dc6fddd4de67f04.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dc6fe0e4eb6cac6.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dc6fe4c4fada858.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dc6fe73505e0116.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dc6fec6516a8a11.jpgOf course, then there's reality!http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dc6fef9527138d7.jpgC ya, :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Quaxo

Hi Jon,Strange, I must have some problem with my system then... Look what happens if I select "multipass" haze... (look at the distant mountains) :-(Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Hi Jon,that's the same card as I've got, (GeForce 2 MX440)would you care to share your settings for both the card and the FUIII cfg?I'd already worked out that FSAA is too agressive, and also causes problems with the cockpit rectangles in view too...:-wavePete

I also get that problem when using multipass. I have a Gef3 Ti500. I think Specular is the best for my system. Haze is a bit too yellow but it looks good and doesn't have any side-effects.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

I was using specular too, without problems... it's that "a bit too yellow" thing that made me experiment... I would like a colorless (gray) haze, as it is with "fog" method...Thanks,CristianP.S. My video card is a GeForce4 MX440 with 29.80 drivers and Win98SE.

Guest jonpoint

Pete and Cristian,Sorry I haven't done it yet. I WILL upload my settings tomorrow - I have to go home and write them all down first.I didn't mention it before but I use an AMD Athlon 1700+ CPU with a VIA KT MB. This has necessitated some specific setups. I don't think these will cause any problems with a Pentium or Xeon but it may explain some strange settings.I also use Rivatuner because, after setting the card for max quality, the FSAA to 2x (1.4x1.4) and Anisotropy settings to max, my framerates dropped a bit. Therefore I overclock the thing to the max (well, max recommended by 'Unwinder') and it does well. The overclocking improves the framerate by almost 30% in good conditions! I think that 'better' GE2 and GE3 cards may not need it - all I'm doing is raising the internal clocks to 'GT' spec, which works fine with my card.As far FSAA goes, I prefer to have SOME. 2x2 (4x) is slightly sweeter but hits the framerate. I deal with the sky banding with haze (don't we all?) and I've fixed the cockpits in all my favourite aircraft to remove the line. Without any FSAA, the edges look crappy and the horizon (when you can see it through the haze) looks like a staircase :-(C ya 2 morrow :-beerchugJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Hi Guys,Here's my cfg file for your perusal :-)I HAVE noticed the floating clouds-at-a-distance problem, it's just that I normally run enough haze not to see it. I haven't changed anything too much, many changes have been 'undone' because I wasn't happy. Within this file however, there is ONE haze profile that causes a greyed-out, whitish haze that turns everything bright red at sunset! :-erks When I find it, I'll delete it.As mentioned before, my video is maxxed out with everything on 'max' in Rivatuner EXCEPT I do not enable DTX1 textures - apparently it makes the banding real bad - I haven't tried it with it enabled.I checked the VIA settings and they're really just common sense so I won't repeat them (unless you have a VIA MB with an AMD uP - the Leadtek website has some good info).PS If you try to use the file as-is, you may need CVA or you'll start out at SEA. As you also wouldn't have a 'gb_4' either, you may want to put your favourite aircraft in too ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************