Sign in to follow this  

Linux anyone?

Its work in progress - but still fantastic! Tell me what you think(by the way im doing this from my Linux box ;) )ThanksShelton.

>Its work in progress - but still fantastic! >>Tell me what you think >>(by the way im doing this from my Linux box ;) ) >>Thanks >Shelton. Is this flightgear? I haven't tried it for ages.Ian

Guest JeanLuc_

That is a very good looking KSJC!I remember having seen this sat picture on the net. Great job!

It looks promising and reminds me a lot of FU3. I checked the website and see FU3 style inner and outer terrain :-) The aircraft still need more polygons and some of the panels are quite basic. However, as a supported open-source sim being developed by enthusiasts worldwide this might evolve fast. Needless to say, we like the satellite terrain!best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

I have just tried the latest version (0.8.0), and I'm impressed. The sim still lacks some important features (especially in the GUI), but they're doing a great job... the sim is improving with giant leaps. The last version I had tried before this was the 0.7.8, and there is a really huge difference... (even if the sim isn't based on satellite images, there is only some "experimental" tile AFAIK)...Cristian

Yes this is flightgear. I am steadly moving to Linux so I am looking forward to this development and I am keeping an keen eye on the product! Looks very promising!CheersShelton.

Guest R_Driscoll

Its nice but you wouldn't want to fly away from the airport - the "outer terrain" seems to start within a few 100 meters of the end of the runway! And is the ground scenery 3D at all, or just a texture map? I like my ground scenery somewhat more vertical.

Guest Quaxo

Robert, it is true that Flightgear isn't a "satellite-based" scenery as FU3 is, but rather a "texture-based" as MSFS. The "satellite" area is tiny. The terrain has a decent mesh though, and good textures, and all the world is available. And, in the last version I tried (0.8.0), there is some sort of "autogen", I mean there are several 3D objects scattered around. If someone is intrested, I could take some screenshots of the "basic install" sim and post them here...Cristian

Wow! What a scene. I wish all airports were like this in all the sims I currently have. Since the only time when we are flying at low altitudes is in the vicinity of an airport (at least in majority of the cases), I hope we can eventually have a sim with - satellite scenery for 5-10 miles radius near all major airports. - generic textures everywhere else.- major roads, rivers, lakes etc. (from terrascene like utility) overlaid on generic textures.I have great hopes for an opensource flight sim.

Guest jonpoint

Awww, this just looks too much fun! Gotta go an' 'ave a peek...:-kewlJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Well the satellite resolution is amazing - must be 1 pixel/sq m or better? its given me ideas. Are the colours right (I thought grass was green - it looks yellow/brown here like FU3 satellite scenery - so may be something to do with the satellite imaging. Or are they having a drought like Australia? Come to think of it, where is this airport anyway?