Sign in to follow this  
Guest Henri Kauhanen

My old flame

Guest Henri Kauhanen

Hi everyone,I uninstalled FS2002, reinstalled FU3 today. Thought it was about time to fly with my first love again. :D Anyway, it's been a while, and I'm sure I have missed many wonderful addons during my absence. I'd be glad if anyone could point me to the most important addons etc that have been introduced lately.I'm on my way to the File Library now, and I'll have to see if I can configure my yoke+pedals to work with FU3 again, and tweak some config files. There's so much to do.Well, see you later,Hawk:-wave

Henri,I am encouraged to see you return to FU3. The Bush Flying Unlimited group was originally set up as an FU3 operation, but it seems to be almost exclusively FS2002 driven these days (based on my infrequent forays to the BFU Forum).Anyway, back to your question regarding add-ons. I will refrain from suggesting scenery add-ons, for obvious reasons :-) Laurie Doering's weather upgrades are essential, as are Juoko Huovinen's AI enhancements. I am just starting to experience Ansgar's magnificent 747, although you may well be more comfortable with a smaller plane for bush flying work :-)I will let some other forum members expand on these suggestions.Best Wishes, and welcome back :-jumpyChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You must be limited by hard drive space, Henri! I would never remove any one of the two sims from my machine; I'll remove WinXP itself before I remove either one :-lol :-lol.I'll talk scenery here:1.BFU sceneries, Chris's, Bogdan's and Bjorn's excellent packages; these are on AVSIM.2.Frank Betts has lots and lots of scenery packages on his site. It is really a gold mine for FU3 scenery addons. Thankfully, he still keeps them, even though he appears to be fully FS these days. His site:http://flightsimsetc.dhs.org/content.php?m=v&t=sceneriesOthers please step in.

Guest Henri Kauhanen

Hi Chris,BFU is, like you said, 99% FS driven. Our latest discussions at BFU (about what the concept of BFU intially is and what we are heading for at the moment) made me realise that it is FU3 that has always provided me with the best feel of flying, a commonly known fact here, of course.I noticed your Seattle 2002 pack and I'm definitely going to download it. I also found a newer version of the Gooney (I had 1.10), and lots of other neat stuff. Thanks for reminding about Jouko's AI enhancements, I had forgotten those completely!:-wave

Guest Henri Kauhanen

Yep, at the moment I have 517 megs of free space. :-eek Then, it's an old machine, and the HD is only 8 Gigabytes in total.Thanks for the tips, Naji. One question. I saw Jon Point's new tree models in the library. Do you know of any sceneries that utilize these? I'll go and look for those, I just thought I'd ask if you'd happen to know.:-wave

No idea, Henri. In addition to the trees, I remember I saw in the Library several new FLED objects by R_Driscoll (sorry if the name is spelled wrong). But as yet, I don't know if any scenery utilizes those.

Guest Henri Kauhanen

Yep, I also noticed a bunch of objects (cars, trucks, and what not). It's quite incredible that after all these years and all the new simulation software that has been introduced, FU3 still hangs around. I guess it's pretty much thanks to this great community here at AVSIM.:-wave

Henri, a state-of-the-art hard disk will cost you about $ 150 / Euro 100.I've got an 80 GB disk now and won't have to make forced choices on what to keep anymore :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Welcome back !The new scenery objects developed by Jon Point and myself have been used (publicly!) in the following packages:McChord AAFGrays AAFClare ValleyForest FallsIn addition there have been collections of objects put on AVSIM for download, including translation of many for use in San Fran scenery.The objects can also be directly used (after installation which is easy) in FLED to render your own scenery.Some of the new objects suitable for bush flying include trees (mainly Jon's work), logs (mark parking areas), rocks, log house, small shop, various cars, new wharf, fencing etc.For large airports, we have added passenger access ramps, witches hats, marker sticks, radar, pushback tractors, baggage carts and tractors, many lights, taxiways, custom runways, parking areas, new control towers, etc.For specific scenery we have added Big Ben, Parliament House, Tower Bridge, the Dome, waterfalls (that work!), rivers (that flow), etc.Enjoy!Robert D.

>Yep, at the moment I have 517 megs of free space. :-eek >Then, it's an old machine, and the HD is only 8 Gigabytes in >total. >No offense, but an "older machine" is probably a major reason for removing FS2002. MSFS requires more sophistication in CPU/graphic card power to get the most out of it............ along with the "feel" of flight. The feel of flight is based upon the flight dynamics file and frame rates. With FS2002 and an older machine it's either slow fps and somewhat improved graphics, or higher fps and basically NO graphics. A high end machine provides both, and will give the user a much different view of FS2002.L.Adamson

Guest Allan_D

Hi Henri,[h1]You uninstalled FS2K2[/h1] Wow sorry to hear thatI,m glad I have room on my HD for both of these flight games at the same time, How else would I get to see the best of both? A few shots from the other onehttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dcf3718764ca3fc.jpgAlmost looks like the real worldhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dcf37e977407127.jpgThis can be kinda scary, It looks like the Prop wash blowed my wing off :-lolhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dcf388278f78c7d.jpgBut the FU3 still holds my interest and has a place on my HDA nice flight on a cloudy afternoon in a Airplane that I really like.Thanks TW :-sun1http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dcf3a9c7ba2ad67.jpgIf you'd like some wild and fun type scenery for FU3 send me a note,I'll send you some files that'll liven up your FU3 Game :-lolHave a fun week :-jumpyAllanhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

I see you still have the default autogen trees, Allan. Have you tried Ed Truthan's or Gerrish Gray's replacements? Either of these will make the sim even more realistic. If you want help to find which files, give a holler.

Guest Henri Kauhanen

>No offense, but an "older machine" is probably a major >reason for removing FS2002. MSFS requires more >sophistication in CPU/graphic card power to get the most out >of it............ along with the "feel" of flight. The feel >of flight is based upon the flight dynamics file and frame >rates. With FS2002 and an older machine it's either slow fps >and somewhat improved graphics, or higher fps and basically >NO graphics. A high end machine provides both, and will give >the user a much different view of FS2002. True. My point wasn't to bad-mouth FS, it has its advantages, but to state the fact that on this machine I get the best feel with FU3 (as you said).(Note that I can run neither of the sims with full detail - why, even with half of the detail available.):-wave

Guest Henri Kauhanen

>The new scenery objects developed by Jon Point and myself >have been used (publicly!) in the following packages: >>McChord AAF >Grays AAF >Clare Valley >Forest Falls Thanks, Robert!>For specific scenery we have added Big Ben, Parliament >House, Tower Bridge, the Dome, waterfalls (that work!), >rivers (that flow), etc. Wow, working waterfalls! I'll have to see that.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

Allan, the planes look nice in FS2 but the scenery looks rubbish - all large texture default stuff. You should have shown Emma Field! (or whatever its called).I have said for a long time that I like transparent windows on planes, like the Cub, the DC3 etc. Can we save a few polygons on the next plane design to embellish the cockpit? The DC3 is a good example (with co-pilot Ken!) - but it would be nice with the small planes to do a bit more of this too. I can't comment on the feel - to me FU3 is realistic enough! I flew out of Grays AAF in nice (but fluffy cloudy) weather, around the foothills just West of Rainier (still clear but cn clouds building to north), then had SEATAC guide me back to McChord - on approach the weather got dirty, and on finals I was in rollercoaster mode (I don't mean porpoising, I mean the bottom dropping out of the plane type stuff) - with rain hammering the windshield, dark and heavy clouds all around. That's real enough for me (in real life I would have headed south for better air - but I wouldn't have had the challenge - and I was in a tough plane - one of the KingAir Barons). Rob D