Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

UK elevation... at last! (screenshots)

Guest Quaxo

We have the UK elevation working at last, thanks to Andr

Guest Ansgar

Hello Cristian,thank you very much for this good info. A few questions from my side:1. is it possible to upload this elevation install also to avsim, or is it to big? ...up to 15MByte are OK for me.2. Is it the elevation for the whole UK-scenery, or only for the region were we have megatiles for?It

Ansgar,If they could get some megatiles done for Cumbria (which is where I live), then you would see some more impressive elevated terrain. The highest peak in the area is Scafell Pike at 3210 feet, and there are plenty of mountains over 2500 feet. There are also plenty of large lakes, which is why the area is also called the Lake District.My home town of Ulverston has a hill overlooking it. The height is only around 400 feet, but there is a 100 feet tall monument at the top which looks very much like a lighthouse (this is called HOAD MONUMENT). This would probably look good in FU3. There are even a few trees down near the bottom of the hill..........and you all know how much I like trees :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Hi Ansgar,1) The current elevation data file is fairly big, 90 Mb unzipped, and 20 Mb zipped. I received it on a CD. Personally, I can't upload such a big file, but maybe someone can... I'm not sure, but I think the elevation data has no copyright restrictions and so can be uploaded. Anyway, it is in the Update cd #2... :)2) It covers an area slightly greater than the current hi-res coverage, but not all the lo-res area. The elevation is organized in rectangles of 5x4 megatiles. Elevation for single megatiles can easily be exported and uploaded, and can be imported by hand with GeoTilesViewer, but there are too many megatiles for this to be practical.Cheers,Cristian

Excellent! Yes, large parts of the UK are really very flat - especially on the eastern side. I remember thinking years ago that there was something wrong with my car when I was on holiday in Wales, as it seemed evern slower than usual (it was an 1108cc Renault 5). Then I realised that, living in East Anglia as I did, I had never driven up a hill before....and the Welsh hills showed the true lack of power in my poor little car.Ian

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Cristian,It's certainly looking impressive. I see that there is terrain classification for the sea, does it include classification for rivers as well? If so to what detail? Could I land the Renegade on the Thames? How about the Adur (flows past Shoreham airport)?Keep up the good work.Rich.

Guest Quaxo

Hi Rich,Yes, there is classification. But it has been generated automatically, so there are some things to fix... Mainly, most of the dark runways now are recognized as being water, and this creates some problems when taking off/landing. This must be corrected by hand, and we need the help of the other users to fix this. As soon as we'll have corrected classification, we'll include it in the next update. Or, when I'll have corrected the tiles for the major airports, I'll upload the patch to avsim...