Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

What do you all think of these models for hi-res Eng?

Guest juvat2

Looking for you alls' thoughts on these . Could be for hi-res England region. Not the Eiffel of course, I put it there to let you see it. This is just a fraction of what could be for England.Picts are Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and other notable landmarks. Also, you can see a light house buried in there.Jim B.

Guest juvat2

to trigger the views counter. Jim B.

Looking really nice. I wish I had the skill to do things like this.Ian

Guest Quaxo

They're great :) ! I really like them. We need lots of custom models for UK...Are they low-poly models?And by the way: What program was you using? It isn't FU3, as it doesn't show the green text on the bottom of the screen... ?CristianAnd, I can't find the lighthouse... Maybe it's too much "buried"? ;-)

Guest jonpoint

Jim,They're astounding... but where did you take the shot?It's good to see more model-makers out there :-beerchugJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

wonderful models, the details and scale look perfect!CheersShelton.

Guest juvat2

Hello to all,I see I must clarify something. The shots are from Attack Squadron, the Looking Glass Studios ww2 combat sim that they didn't have time to finish and publish before their demise. Maddoc hired most if not all the original LG team to finish Attack Squadron for publisher Xicat.The models are in .bin format and use .tga textures. When you look at the attributes of the models from with-in Attack Squadrons editor, they are all stamped either "Looking Glass Studios" or "Fu3" model. The bin files have a different internal structure, as the bin tools we use for Fu3 or Thief won't work on them.So, the models could be for for the hi-res England, but theres no way to port them.Jim B.

Jim,You can clearly see the Flight Unlimited influence in the terrain graphics. If those textures are generic, then they look considerably better than the majority of textures in FS2002. Is there no way to convert everything in JAS for use in FU3 ?That might just be a question worth putting to Mad Doc Software......Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris,The model and terrain textures are not zipped or locked in any form. Easily viewable with any graphics program that can handle bmp(terrain) or tga's(any of the models).What I'm hoping to do here is spark interest in a Attack Squadron compatible Bin2E type tool so I can give a go at correcting some modeling error on the Jas aircraft, as pointed out by the many Jas debunkers at the Simhq/Jas forum. Were this tool ever invented, it of course would aide in providing very large source for models for use in the hi-res england region.Here I'll attach an example of a terrain texture and one for the Buckingham Palace. These are 128x128, see same as required for Fu3's outter terrain texturing and for skinning the models. All they'd need is changed to tga/256bit for the outer terrain, and to gif/256bit for the models, along with the appropriate pallets.As I've been digging deeper into Jas' resources I think LGS had some big-big plans for one outstanding Fu4 or something. There are a lot of resources not switched for use on the Jas aircraft. Also I've found reference to radio calls and nav maps that are not switched. If any of you are lucky enough to have Jas (oh, and it runs on your pc) you know what I'm speaking of. The terrain and sky rendering(to me) is spectacular. Exactly the thing you'd expect from the developers of this wonderful Fu2/3. I like creating missions in it, not for war, but high altitude flights with waypoints bringing me over London, Dover, Berlin, Amsterdam,etc with cloud bank and weather cells throughout. Rolling and diving through the Swiss Alps in the old trusty(yet modeled kinda homely) P47D. As in Fu2/3, I'd set the flights near to sunset, creat and link the waypoints so I can warp around in a circuit. Ooo-boy did they do a fine job. Sunsets, haze, clouds, contrails, sky coloring.The Jas community is about dead now. I think folks were looking to hard into the "kill-explode-war" thing and totally missed the most, and the best key elements in this sim. Sure, it was distro'd as a combat sim, but its that and much-much more. A very powerful and flexible editor. Actually 2 in 1. 1 for creating missions, placing objects, free terrain tiles, etc, and another called Physics Editor where the attachment points of the fuselage structures can be edited, as well as the flight performance of the aircraft. I've added the Bismark battle ship to it (actually, I made it to deadly) and hope improve the model if there's ever a way to extract them from the bin's.The sim has some flaws, but for what I use it the most, it's just fine.Things I hope to do (well, 1st a brain that can do the following) correct aircraft models if possible, switch the volumous clouds back on (the textures are there for them, I think the LGS/Maddoc guys switched them off to control frame rates should a fellow try to "go to war" and start blowing things up), switch on the UI map screen(just to have one to reference in flight, at least), and some other things.Well, I'll hush-up now, this being the Fu3 forum and all. But if any of you intelligent folks would like to tackle the 3ds2E thing, it'll help both the Fu3 community and the almost gone Jas community as a whole.You all take care,Jim B.

Guest R_Driscoll

Parliament house is OK (probably the BIN model is more accurate than my version as I didn't have a top-down or front photo to work from) - but my model includes trees, Boadicea etc and a base. Surely that's worth something? But the colours on these models look false, like painted sets rather than photographic.I flew over UK south yesterday for the first time - to the whole team that worked on this, it is brilliant! The release version though uses my original UK models, not the updated ones, and I believe Ansgar will fix this for the next version.I was going to make a StPauls as well, and Buckingham palace, but couldn't get enough graphics detail. So I'll stick at four while I'm making Heathrow.Rob D.

Guest Quaxo

Robert,"The release version though uses my original UK models, not the updated ones"Yes, in the "base package" only your old models were included. The new ones, should have been on Andr

Guest R_Driscoll

Jim, would you be happy for me to try to import these models into Quaxo's UK South package? I can't help with the BSP stuff for planes, but I would be happy to look at adaption of their fixed scenery models to UK. I would need you to send me both the BIN models and the textures. Or if you can send them as '.E' files, that would be fine. The odd one out is the Eiffel Tower. I wonder if that's the one at Blackpool, rather than the Paris one. The one in Lancashire is half height. But of course JAS probably includes Paree, and anyway that looks like an Arc de Triomphe in the first shot ... I suppose palettes would be the main problem. Not a big problem though.Rob D.

Guest juvat2

Hi Robert,I'll be happy to send you anything you'd like.I was able to contact the author of the bin2e tool and sent him some examples of Jas models as well as the tools for creaton of new objects and models for Jas. He responded positively. Said the quick look he made of the stuff I sent him leads him to believe it is indeed a vb6 issue with his tool. Would be starting his Thanksgiving vacation, then work on the project of upgrading his tool the following week.I am sending you stuff following this post.Thanks Robert, and take care,Jim Buffett

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Jim. Whilst I'm asking, you mentioned some time ago about being able to convert .BIN files into .E files. How did you do this?Rob D.

Guest juvat2

Hi Robert,Couldn't send those right away, my daughter picked up the phone, poof lost connection.I use the bin2e tool. I'll send it to you as well. So far only works on Flight Unlimited, Thief series, and System Shock bin models. This is the tool the author agreed to upgrade for use on the Jas .bin's.Now that the family is snuggled in for the night, I'll be able to send you the files. Got to be turning in myself here shortly.Jim B.Will be a minute. I've run out of resources. Will have to cold start my pc. Was fiddling with some modeling tools pior to sign on, and they must've consumed my pc resources. Back in a bit. jab