Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

All this talk about rockets and shuttles....

Guest Motormouse

Made me go and retrieve this from my 'saved it for later' cd.Still got a long way to go before its useable, but,'do you know what it is yet' ??:-wavePete

Guest twsimfan

Pete,I have sat in one just like that at the Seattle Air & Space Museum on Boeing Field.

That's the first time that I have noticed the triple tyres on the main undercarriage of an SR71.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That's an A12, not an SR71. It was designed as an interceptor but took to long to get of the ground. It made a great spy plane as the SR71. Remember Kelly Johnson built these planes with slide-rules, not supercomputers.

Guest Staggerwing

You are correct Steve, good spotting :-)The side fins (chines?) on the fuselage not extending to the nose gives it away..(a few other differences as well) this is a YF-12A fore runner of the SR-71 and a really rare bird with only 3 built and this is the only one left as the first was converted to a SR-71... the third one crashed, and this..the second built, is still in original form.As far as id mixing goes... I think Lydon Johnson did the biggest swap as when they were released to the public they were designated as "RS"-71s and the President announced to the world that they were "SR"-71s and they just changed the plans to read SR after that :-)Here's a few more shots I took if anyone cares to see them..http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de23ab80d972c53.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de23ac60db80ba3.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de23ad00dcc67af.jpg

Is that part of a D-21 drone in the lower left of the last picture? If so do you have any pictures of that too.

Guest Rich Wren

That is indeed a D12. I have a picture of it but I need to scan it and pass it through photoshop before it would be useful. I'm afraid my compact camera's flash wasn't up to the job of photographing hangared aircraft :-(.If you ever get the chance to go, these photos were taken at the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio. This particular hangar is actually the X-plane hangar which along with the Presidential hangar is actually on the adjoining air base. I spent 18 months working in Kentucky and visited the place four times in total...

I've been there many times, but not for a few years. I would like to return this July for the airshow, it should be pretty good being the 100th aniversary of the Wright brothers first flight.

Here are just two of the many a took at Oshkosh one year. I got to see her fly, what a treat!

Not that it looks like you need it, but I have access to a complete SR-71 panel with all of the gauges still intact. We have a Blackbird here at the Kansas Cosmosphere. They pulled the cockpit out and have it on display. I'm sure, that with some convincing, I could get some pilot-eye-view shots of the panel. Let me know if you want me to try.That looks like the pit I have for the SR-71 in FS2k2? Is it? Looks pretty good. I tried using the same bmp for a SR-71 in X-Plane.Pieter