Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ansgar

gmax V1.2 (discreet) is usable to build models for FU3!

Guest Ansgar

Hello friends and all interested at model building,I just checked again if it is possible now to use gmax from discreet to build models for FU3.The short answer is:Yes it is possible (with only one limitation for flyable planes)! ==========================================What is needed:*************=> We need the MD3-export function of gmax which is easy possible with V1.2 of gmax now.http://www.gmaxsupport.com/ => further we need an external second software, a viewer/converter named "Deep Exploration" which was named earlier "3D-Exploration" from http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htmto convert the so created MD3-file to an 3ds-file. The rest is the same way as to work with 3D-studio-max!=> Deep-Exploration is actually free available as 30day

Guest juvat2

Outstanding detective work Ansgar! For those who purchased, or are going to purchase Fs2002 Pro, they'll find gmax on the cd. All they'll need to do is go to the Discreet/Gmax sight and download the version upgrade and the plug-ins.Jim B.

Guest Henri Kauhanen

Wow! Thanks, Ansgar. I hope we'll see more FU3 creations in the future.:-wave

Guest Staggerwing

Hmmmm, not perfect but more than FU has had for Gmax support in the past :-)

Guest Ansgar

Hello together,Yes, I hope also we have more models in future here. We have so many talented people here around, that we sure can expect some "surprises" from now.Sure the way is hard for everybody who doesn

Guest Ansgar

Hello Daniel,I would be astonished if this wouldn

Guest R_Driscoll

I for one am keen to see more models being developed for FU3. Thanks Ansgar!We have so many great plane models now, and even a couple of boat models. But no CAR models. Why not? Do people think cars can't fly too? (they should watch more James Bond). But it would be nice to drive around the airport surrounds in a little humvee or fuel truck, just to "inspect".Rob D.

I went to the source, www.discreet.com and downloaded a free version of Gmax, complete with help files and tutorials. The beauty of broadband is that this 50 MB download took me about 10 min to get :-)I've been creating a sphere with cones on it and painted it red. With some practice I could probably make some scenery objects. If so, I'd focus on missing landmarks as masts, towers and bridges. FU3 as well as FS2002 requires conversion to their respective formats. This question is really premature since it'll take a while to design anything useful but what about scaling? I may create a water tower or something but I've got no idea how big it is.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Hans,normaly I work in 3Dmax with metric units (meter,cm,mm) because they are also used in FU3.So if you use gmax you can work and create all models in their correct dimensions as in reality! How you can see the size of an object:At easy single objects (cubes, spheres etc.) the size in x/y/z direction is shown in the gmax menue: Edit->Object Properties under section "Dimensions" left top sideIf you have complexer models defined by much more different parts you have in gmax no helpers and/or measurement tools like I in 3Dmax. But I checked it and with an simple trick you can solve also this in gmax:Select all the parts where you want to know the dimension from and "group" them temporarily together (menue point: Group->Group)Now you can show the total dimensions of this group in x/y/z in the same way then for an single object (see above). After you know the dimension you can zoom/shrink the object as group in that size you would like to have it. If you are finished you simply "Ungroup" this objects (menu point: Group->Ungroup) and you

Hi Ansgar, good tip, I can just say - GMax --> yes you can !! ;-),a bit tricky with the plug ins and conversion until you get the final .bin file. The 3ds Conversion was in the 3dExploration 1.6 only and this release is time limited ... but very nice. Another way is using the Wavefront .obj conversion of 3dExploration 1.2 and then one step more using Ani8tor that can import .obj and export 3ds. Do not build too large or the LG-Utilities will crash. n3ds2e.exe, BSP.exe and meshbld.exe can't handle large models so it's impossible to convert the outpost tutorial result from GMax even just the tower but the p38 is ok. I can highly recommend this tutorial :-)http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/gmaxmodels.jpg:-wave agtim

Guest Ansgar

Hello Andre,Yeahhhh, you did it!!! Congratulations ;-) :-jumpyBut don

Guest juvat2

Well, I made this thing with RcCad, saved as wrl, then with deep exploration saved as 3ds. Thats as far as I've gotten with it. Have no clue how to paint it. Named it 707 because it seems, somewhat, like a 707. Tried to paint it with deep paint 3d, but it reports "model isn't uv mapped, uv map object with mercator uv tool". Well, naturally I don't know anything about that either.Seep 3d reports the model as having: 8 objects, 4 materials, 696 vertices, 1180 faces.Jim B.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jim,as Andre is saying above I would recommend everybody to use the way which is stated here in the thread! Gmax is an absolutely professional and perfect tool for us.Pls. load gmax together with the tutorials which are very good! For our work you should learn minimum the tutorials:chapter 1 "Getting started" (if you don

Guest Ansgar

...trying an reactivating of this thread by bringing it up.Ansgar A.