Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Chris and others, check this out (FS2k2 UK VFR scenery)

I hope it's OK that I post this here. I guess most of us play FS2002 a little and not only FU3.Check out this thread http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8It looks like FU3! Looks great, anyone tried it? It's a true VFR scenery, not the generic "crap" that most MSFS sceneries use.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jim,I am aware of this VFR scenery of the UK, and I would love to think that I could get some enjoyment out of it. However, the problem is that it's for FS2002.The generic textures aren't the only reason why I can't get used to FS2002. The interface annoys me, the planes don't seem to fly like they do in FU3, and the AI traffic isn't as convincing (by this, I mean the amount of traffic, as opposed to the quality of the AI planes). I just can't seem to like the package as a complete unit. It has nothing to do with me wanting to like FU3 more than anything from Microsoft. It's just that my requirements and FS2002 don't connect closely enough.I really wish that they did. :-(Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. This isn't intended to be yet another stab at FS2002. I am simply describing why I refuse to waste my money on something that I know will look great, but requires a flight simulator that I just can't feel comfortable with.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I agree with the user-interface part. Kind of messy compared to FU3.Have you tried Project AI? It adds lot of real airlines. Still no GA planes doing touch n' go's though.Anyone tried this scenery? How does it compare to "our" UK, and the Seattle/SFO regions?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I suspect that it is based on similar source material to that used for "our" UK scenery (except we don't appear to have to pay

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Jimmi,"I hope it's OK that I post this here."Sure! I like constructive discussion of other sims. I just object when it degenerates to mindless "my sim is better than your sim" BS.Thanks for the info. :)

Guest twsimfan

Chris,"... a flight simulator that I just can't feel comfortable with."I ran into a problem on my new system. The profile software for my old (and much loved) MS Precision Pro joystick is not supported in XP. It will work but only as a generic stick... no programming of functions. So I went out and bought a Saitek X45 twin unit:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ddfd95e5496a300.jpgI am still working on the programming but I intend to get it to the point where FU3 controls & FS02 controls "feel" the same... and believe it or not I'm getting close...I did have a problem with racing sims... the X45 just doesn't lend itself to those... especially motorcycle sims. So I hooked up my old stick as well but I was having "bleed through" problems. So I went looking for another stick for those sims. I bought a MS Precision 2:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ddfdc8662008d46.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ddfdbc55efd7ed3.jpgI had intended to avoid the MS sticks out of rage over their deciding not to support my old (and much loved) stick. But the problem is I like MS sticks... and I did find this one at half price at CompUSA due to a combination of 3 money off offers... CompUSA is strange that way. :-lol I have it rigged so I can switch sticks in about 3 or 4 seconds... and it is working out really well.My biggest problem at the moment is trying to figure out how to use the trim wheels on the X45... which as you know... is a major issue in FS02... but I intent to make that work the same in both FS02 & FU3 as well.Now I just have to figure out how to setup Fly2... which I bought in a shovelware pack with 4 other flight games for $9.95.I guess I better wrap this up... getting close to chat time! :-sun1

>The generic textures aren't the only reason why I can't get >used to FS2002. The interface annoys me, the planes don't >seem to fly like they do in FU3, and the AI traffic isn't as >convincing (by this, I mean the amount of traffic, as >opposed to the quality of the AI planes). It's all what we're use too! :) After years and years of MSFS, I could never really figure out the interface of the FU products. Probably didn't spend the time learning it either..Won't comment on flight dynamics to avoid "flame wars" which I always win :).............. but there really can be a lot of AI traffic in FS2002 depending on slider setting and CPU capability.L.Adamson

Guest twsimfan

Mr Adamson,You have to understand that Chris is a local character on this forum. While he knows full well that I will not tollerate full on "my sim is better than your sim" nonsense he always manages to skirt the edges of it. Personally I like them all... and I need to respond to your great post to me over in the Fly Forum... very pretty pics indeed."Won't comment on flight dynamics to avoid "flame wars""Thank you. That way I don't have to remove the thread. Look, I know Chris brings this on... but I'm the one who always has to be the bad guy and protect him from those who respond to his provocations. Lets just not do that this time... I'm tired. And I need to be spending my time figuring out how to use Fly2 thanks to some help from you and others.Chris,Leave it alone.

>Mr Adamson, >>You have to understand that Chris is a local character on >this forum. Well aware of it!! :)L.Adamson

Tom,Like I said, I only posted to explain to Jim why I wasn't likely to purchase the VFR scenery of the UK. I have no intention of making any more comments on the subject.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Larry,You are quite right. The last version of MSFS that I used extensively was FS4, and I actually quite liked it :-eek Unfortunately, FS5 set a bad precedent as far as graphics and interface are concerned, so I guess that I'm just not as used to it as your good self.See, I can be nice to MSFS users :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Tom,I saw one of those Saitex X45 units at PC World recently (when I was on holiday in Scotland). The thrust control is certainly a lot larger than the one that I'm currently used to, and I can't argue that it would be nice to have more precise control with the throttle.Maybe I should have another look at some of these new flight sim accessories..........Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

John farrie (Visual Flight) has produced a much needed product by tying up with GetMapping and producing the whole of England and wales in 'photoscenery', alas only available for the 'commercial sim' FS2002. Both FU3 and Fly!2 have similar smaller areas of 'photo scenery' manufactured by dedicated 'freeware scenery producers'(using online jpeg pictures) but I can report that they stand up remarkably well against the Visual Flight product in 'viewable quality' when flying.I had expected to see a marked increase in resolution from Visual Flight's FS2002 VFR Photo scenery but this is hardly discernable, perhaps mainly owing to the difficulties FS2002 seems to have in it's graphic handling. It is very easy to get 'distorted' images, particularly when changing views.So please keep making the 'freeware UK scenery'!DaveT