Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Editing Mesh scale

Guest juvat2

Thought folks here would be interested in a handy little tool called Meshscale. It adjusts the scale of your .E file's x,y,z co-ordinates.Made for Thief modeling, it works just fine with Flight Unlimited.http://www.3dactionplanet.com/thief/mmv/Take care, Jim B.

thank you for this fine URLthere are more utilities for model conversion to download from this page as n3ds2e_bsp.zip and modeltools.zip ...n3ds2e - A never and better version of Looking Glass Studios' 3ds2e. An application that converts .3ds files to .e format.BSP - An application created by LGS that converts .e files to .bin files for objects.may be newer versions:-wave agtim

Guest jonpoint

Yep, thanks a lot for the info. There are some good little utilities there, especially the bin-to-efile and efile to 3DS ones. If I knew about these last week...n3ds2e.exe was released with the JAS tools I think. I have been using it for some time. It seems better than 3ds2e.exe. BSP.EXE is interesting. You NEED it to create any models in FU3 but there are two versions - the original LGS one and the later JAS one (bigger ~250K). They both work for simple models however, the later one is much better for complex stuff - sometimes the old one just stops for no reason and you search the drive for a binfile that doesn't exist :-( The new one is also much faster.So, DO use n3ds2e.exe - it's better than 3ds2e.exe and DO use the later, larger bsp.exe. Otherwise you're just playing with buggy software :-grrThe mesh scaling is not THAT usefule as most of our models are SUPPOSED to be a particular size BUT, in conjunction with the bin-to-e converter, could be used for converting incorrectly-sized existing models - like toycrd0.bin (the oversized Toyota 4WD). Just remember that FU3 uses 'metre' scaling whereas most downloaded models are in inches. If in doubt, use the bsp scaling factor (-s.0254) to get the scale right. In other words, bsp.exe already has this ability. You can also rotate the models with it too which is how I got my 'tail-down' GeeBee models to work. Oh, you haven't seen them yet? Sorry, I got so carried away with the flyable GeeBee that I haven't got around to uploading them yet - sorry folks ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest juvat2

Models for Flight Unlimited objects should be made using meters? Maybe explains why basic models I've been making always come out rediculously giantic when applied to a fled scene(why I thought the mesh scale tool was so cool). I rechecked and yep, my objects were inches. Hmmm, shall experiment with this info.Jon, "If in doubt, use the bsp scaling factor (-s.0254) to get the scale right. In other words, bsp.exe already has this ability."This mean the value will automatically scale my models to proper dimensions for Fu3/2 use? Or will I still need to re-open the 3ds objects with my model programs and convert inches to meters?Would this explain why, at times, textures I apply don't appear after conversion to "E"?Well, well, the wonders of modeling never cease.Jim B.Ps: For would-be modelers such as myself, the Shwaa guy at that sight has excellent modeling tutorials using 3ds Max and Anim8tor. My swords always come-out looking like a string of limp pasta, but, heck, I tell myself I'm almost, just-about, going to be a modeler someday-maybe. :-kewl

Guest jonpoint

Jim,"This mean the value will automatically scale my models to proper dimensions for Fu3/2 use? Or will I still need to re-open the 3ds objects with my model programs and convert inches to meters?"Yes. You don't have to re-scale your 3ds files. All of my models are done in inches - I just find it easier to visualise! Look at Rob's model instructions AND the FU3 white paper for info.Would this explain why, at times, textures I apply don't appear after conversion to "E"?No, texture mapping has nothing to do with scale. If you place a texture across some polygons, then scale the polygons, the texture scales as well. The reason that the textures don't always apply is that there are two (basic) ways of applying them:TMAP - A texture bitmapRGB - A virtual (direct) textureThe TMAP is actually a MIPfile for FU3 models, which you must convert from a 256x256 GIF87a file, using either 'makemip.exe' or FixMip (muuuuuch better). For FU3 aircraft, the TMAP is a 256x256 8-bit BMP which you must import into the plane's resfile.RGB is just what it says - an RGB value like 255 255 255 (white). They are very useful when you just want a colour, not a detailed texture. RGB's can also be partially transparent like glass for example. Normally, RGB's don't actually need mapping coordinates either, they just apply to the selected polygons. Warning - refer to the palette for available colours. If you choose an RGB that isn't in the palette, it picks a 'close' one. Unfortunately, there are large steps in the palette and trying to darken a grey object may turn it blue... or green :-eekYour problem I believe is, if you're downloading models, is that you have to save the texture files as well and convert them to the appropriate format. Most 3ds textures are in BMP form so convert them to a GIF87a file, then 'MIP' them in the approriate palette (Seattle or Sanfran). After that, put the mipfiles with the binfile, open Modelview and have a look - should be there :-)(long breath)... Whew!All of this said, BSP can be tricky and watch out for missing textures when downloading models. Many have thumbnails only, requiring you to recreate them :-(Anyway, it sounds like you're having fun :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************