Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

GeeBee 'Alpha' uploaded

Guest jonpoint

Hi folks,As promised, I've uploaded the 'Alpha' release of the GeeBee R2 for FU3 :-) The F3 cockpit view still needs work but this version is being released so you may try it out and post your criticisms, accolades :-hah and/or questions to the Avsim forums for further development.All non-abusive comment are appreciated :-)Meanwhile, break out the airsickness tablets and look at the screenshots :-beerchugCruisin' near Forest Fallshttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de2bf955b3d1cbb.jpgOut of Sequim on a misty dayhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de2bfd35bd4b2ef.jpgNear Sequim after the fog cleared. Up we go!http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de2c0045c5a01cd.jpgAnd over...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de2c0435cd657d5.jpgLookin' out the backhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de2c0755d4a9ced.jpgGotta fly now (literally), back next week :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Thanks Jon. You are truly a wonderful man. Just did about 10 touch-&-go's with it, and it's still in one piece !Still torques to the right though, but I know that you can fix it.And now back to flyin it. Gotta check my blood pressure first though.Thanks again > Jim

Just a short second note to say that gets in and out of short fields, such as Reton, and Half Moon just fine. If you can land the Mustang without flaps, then you can land this Gee Bee R-2.

Guest jonpoint

Excellent, Jim!I'm glad that 'so far is so good' :-)BTW, on crashing (!?!), the fact it's in one piece is good. It DOES have crash models and the breakup data is a lot 'looser' than the Mustang (heck, it's made of wood and cloth...) so, if you did really crash it, you'd know!Ansgar has suggested some things to look at regarding the torque direction and I will have a look when I get back from NZ next week. I have asked Ansgar to keep an eye on things while I'm gone. I will probably check in from a cafe or such while I'm there so it would be good to see some more shots and comments.In the mean time, have lotsa fun (but keep the nitro pills handy) :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Life don't get much better than this.And now to catch a few flounders for lunch, and then take a nap on the sand.

Landings in general not a problem. I land it from the F-2 view. Come over the edge of the runway low and hot, about 100 kts and 6 ft high. As speed falls off down through 90 kts, 85 kts, ease the stick back, ignore stall warning, you are only about 2 ft off the deck now. CONCENTRATE HARD on keeping the wings ABSOLUTELY level, and touchdown will happen about 75 kts. Beautiful bird ! ! !What I do not understand is the unpredictable wing dragging on take-off ? Even with the torque turned OFF, I don't think that we deserve it to be that bad. ( Constructive critism only ) I have tried advancing the throttle slow, medium, and fast, all with the same results ? ? ?

I went back out and solved my own pilot error. Wing dragging on take-off. At least it works for me. I simply take-off with full back stick, and let it ease itself off. It seems that the small fin and rudder area, demands that the tailwheel be firmly planted on the ground for yaw control / stability. If the tail comes up too early, she "Does the walk".Now she's tamed.I finally remembered that the Pitts needed the same treatment.I hope that this helps.Jim

Guest Staggerwing

LOL Yeah, that wingtip dance has got to go... got a bump on each side of my head now :-) Maybe the flight model can be told the wheels are a bit more forward and farther apart ?Only other comment so far is that I don't think it drops speed fast enough when power is cut. With that big nose, I would think you would feel the air resistance whenever power was off. And I also agree... why not use the cockpit and panel that have already been done ?Getting closer though.. :-)

>LOL Yeah, that wingtip dance has got to go... got a bump >on each side of my head now :-) >>Maybe the flight model can be told the wheels are a bit more >forward and farther apart ? Farther apart would work, I do that on all my R/C Gee Bee models !Too far forward may produce the " Bunny Hop ". Then you would have a bump on the front and back of your head. LOL

Guest R_Driscoll

Congratulations Jon! Another excellent wild beast for the stable. Its a unique plane, to state the obvious - a bit like flying an ultralight in the sense of visibility, very little plane, with the Mooney - thoroughbred speed, lots of zip. Although I had trouble keeping it out of the ground sometimes! It seems to need a bit more power.Bring on the new cockpit! (Sorry Jon, yours is fine - its great being able to see the ground as you fly).Great colouring, nice reflections on paint! She's a beauty!Rob D.

Guest Ansgar

Hi together,I just checked out this new hot bird from Jon. It is really fun to fly it, Thanks Jon!During the first 10 testflights I also noticed this uncontrolled little drag tendency spinning around the GeeBee just before airborne (see mail Nov-27-02, 11:46 AM from GeeBeeJim).So I checked Jon