Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

I am just full of surprises !

Well, this one's going to make your heads spin. I have decided to reinstall FS2002, and give it another chance. The reason for this is mainly Visual Flight's photographic UK VFR scenery. This is likely to solve one of my big problems with MSFS (the generic textures), so I am going to attempt to resolve my other issues with FS2002 (lack of VFR cockpit, annoying spot view, flight models etc). I realised that, since I have only ever tried flying the small prop planes in FS2002, maybe I will feel more comfortable in a jet ! I have become used to the Beechjet in FU3 recently, and maybe I can find a nice business jet for FS2002 (the Dassault Falcon 50 apparently comes highly recommended).The other reasons for my wanting to like FS2002 are the ability to fly around the UK, and also Gary Summons' UK2000 airports.Anyway, I will let you all know how I get on.Wish me luck ! :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Okay....................But don't come back to this forum, stating that the FU series is "dated" afterall! :)L.Adamson

Guest twsimfan

Chris,"... lack of VFR cockpit, annoying spot view..."I have written to MS many times requesting a IFR/VFR approach in FS in the "next version"... going back to 5.1... obviously they don't take me seriously... but then who does? I have suggested that they use a ProPilot like approach... since that would not require separate images for the IFR & VFR... and they could be toggled with a single key. Since they are not going to take this suggestion the next best thing is to program one of your joykeys to the "W"... that way you can quickly cycle from the 2D panel to the gauges only to the clear and back to the 2D panel. You can get used to it... I have.With a little joykey programming you can get the spot view to function just like the F5 view in FU3... I did. The important thing is to uncheck "Gradual Transition" or it acts like it is sunk in syrup. I always set up some flights from favorite airports with favorite aircraft... turn off gradual trasition... and save the flight. Then I load one of these "flights" and start from there... and gradual transition is already off. And if I want a different location or aircraft I can load them from within that "flight"... and if the new situation is a good one I can save it.

Guest twsimfan

"But don't come back to this forum, stating that the FU series is "dated" afterall!"FU3 is in many ways dated. As old as it is it should be. But it still has many features that have yet to be equaled by any other sim. FS02 represents the future of our hobby and is therefore worth the effort to master... and I am working on that... I recently put 2GB worth of US mesh on my system in that effort. As you know I am trying to get a handle on Fly2... I loaded Fly2k and with it's help I am leaning to use Fly2. I'm almost ready to investigate some of that scenery you told me about. I'm even trying to get PP99 to work... but it doesn't like my video card or USB controlers so I will have to put it on the old one once I get it back up and running.I enjoy all good sims. But for those of us that hang out in this forum FU3 will always have a special place on our hard drives. At least it sure will on mine!

Regarding FS2002 and panel views, has anyone around here tried terrific panels such as those from Dreamfleet? With DF aircraft such as the ArcherII and Cardinal, you get a choice of several partial and full panels for IFR and VFR, just by a mouse click on certain panel areas. You also get the co-pilot side if desired. You even get a choice of radio's, instrument covers for partial panel practice, and choice of dome light colors. Very few users of FS2002 stick with the default panels. Chris speaks of issues, which have been taken care of a "long" time ago. But then not being used to FS2002 (like I never was with FUIII) he wouldn't know. :) And in addition, I think the FS spot view is the best in the industry. I wish other sims copied it..........................!!L.Adamson

Guest Allan_D

Hi FU3 Gang,L.Adamson,Yes I have lots of great panels and lots of super Airplanes for FS.Also when I'm flying with FS, I have the cockpit and spot views set up on a rocker switch on my yoke, It's really very easy to use that way.That takes care of the views you need to be able to land or look around.When I'm landing I never get out of the cockpit anyway, I like to see what else is going on with my airplane http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de58346359eda40.jpgThe fun part of being a Bush Pilot is being able to land on short runways,http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de584443786077d.jpgIn my FU3 world, I land on a carrier and get out of my Plane to watch the speed boat races, that's still a fun thing to do,Part of my Oswald field package that most of you's have,http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de584f638cc6356.jpgHave Fun :-jumpyAllan and Co-Pilot Puppyhttp://bfu.avsim.Net/sigpics/AllanD.jpg

Yes, I've got the payware Archer and the Cessna 421C. However, these reinforce Tom's point as I see it -- since MS didn't do it someone else had to. The success of MS flight simulator does to a large extent depend on the vibrant add-on community. Otherwise, just as Tom I do like all good flight simulators :-)Hans Petter

>Yes, I've got the payware Archer and the Cessna 421C. >However, these reinforce Tom's point as I see it -- since MS >didn't do it someone else had to. One of the highlights of FS2002 is the virtual cockpit with working gauges. This is something that MS "did" do, and 3rd parties have made farther improvents. When it comes to aircraft, I prefer the add-on payware where the 3rd party developers have invested thousands of additional hours to produce specific planes that I'd want. In fact, these 3rd party developers also seem to have gained more expertise than Microsoft programmers, as well as those for most other simulations. I'll even go as far as saying that one particular add-on for FS2002 has the best air.file for any home simulator..... bar none!! (RealAir SF260---- it's just that good!!)MS had plenty to worry about as it is, considering the depth of it's airport, navigation, and topography data-bases which are quite extensive compared to other home PC simulators..L.Adamson

Guest twsimfan

OK... I'm convinced that you really like FS02. I like it too. I have about 21 or 22 years of experience with FS and continue to keep up with the franchise. I also happen to like FU3... you have made it clear that you do not. Each to his or her own taste. Now convince me that you aren't showing up in this forum just to try and stir up a war.

>Now convince me that you aren't >showing up in this forum just to try and stir up a war. reply ...... deleatedreply ...... deleatedI guess I had just better show up for "tech" talk! Can we discuss GPS's or something? :)L.Adamson ---- actually did enjoy FUII/FUIII back in the "old" days..

Tom,I don't think that Larry is here just to start a flame war. I really believe him when he says that he prefers FS2002 to FU3 :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>Tom, >>I don't think that Larry is here just to start a flame war. >I really believe him when he says that he prefers FS2002 to >FU3 :-) >Thanks Chris.. :-lol

Guest twsimfan

Chris,Dah... no kidding... geeessssssssshhh. His tone is intentionally baiting... as often is yours.I fully intend to investigate the aircraft he mentioned... but that was the case before this thread appeared.As I have said many times I do not mind discussion of other sims on this forum. However this childish "mine is better than yours" crap must end right now. From both of you.Today is a major holiday in this country and I am just not in a mood for babysitting.