Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Turkey Day!

Guest twsimfan

This wont compute for those of you not in the US... but... I'd like to wish everyone a very...

HAPPYTHANKSGIVING!

Guest DLM

Thanks Bob and the same to you! :-) (i know i

Guest Robert_S

Greetings, Daniel!Stuffing... it's also called "dressing", though either of them are stuffed in the turkey prior to roasting. You'll generally find at least two products available from a given manufacturer, "cornbread stuffing", and "turkey dressing". Aside from slight taste differences, they're the same stuff.Essentially, it's bread. Take a slice of bread... not white, but like wheat or something interesting (cornbread for the "cornbread stuffing" of course)... and dice it up into like quarter-inch... er, one centimeter cubes. Then let it (they probably bake it) totally dry. Rock hard and unpleasant to eat, essentially large bread crumbs. But they add herbs and such to it, to flavor it up. Then, when preparing it for the turkey, moisture is added (I like to use ginger ale, other options are orange juice or simply water, whatever one wants to use) and a key ingredient for taste, butter. Some add chopped celery and chopped pecans, as I do. My mom used to add raisins, but I broke her of that. :-)With this dried bread being soaked in liquid and butter, it sounds as if you'd wind up with a mushy result. And in a way you do, but it's wonderful stuff, probably my favorite part of a holiday meal. Oh... one of the keys to the final flavor is the fact that it spends a few hours in a roasting turkey, so it picks up that taste too. Very addicting stuff! So much so that you can buy "Stove Top Stuffing" (brand name) here, and with a saucepan, some boiling water and butter, you need neither a turkey nor a holiday! :-hahSuddenly the Flight Unlimited forum turns into Gourmet Unlimited. :-)You missed a fun chat, sir! It started out with just Tom and I, and we wondered if it would take wing, but it did and we had a great time. I expect to see you there next time. ;-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

Guest DLM

Thanks Bob! That was much more information than i expected :DI must try it sometime! It really sound to me as a delicacy, maybe i do it for Christmas if my parents allow. I have asked my father how he would feel about having turkey for Christmas but he gave me a big NO (in Sweden we apparently rather eat the rear end of a pig instead of stuffed turkey...)There is an all American foodstore here in Stockholm, maybe i can find that can of "Stove Top stuffing" there? We

Guest Robert_S

Ah yes, pork roast. Lose it. :-lolAll the Christmas dinners of my youth occured in the home of my aunt and uncle, and my grandparents lived there too. All except the uncle were full-blooded Norwegians, and they always served turkey. Anything else for Christmas would be sacrilege, or something like that. If the house doesn't smell like roast turkey, it's simply not Christmas.Unless it's packed differently over there, you'll find Stove Top Stuffing in a box, not a can, if they have it at all. And though it's good, it's not quite the real stuff. It's gotta be inside that roasting turkey for awhile to be genuine.Oh yeah... I remember the long-haul airline food forum. I'd totally forgotten about that one.That's a neat map you linked to, showing the air traffic around here in animation. Yup, good ol' El Segundo lies just south of LAX. I'm one block west of what's labeled Highway 1 there, but is better known as Pacific Coast Highway. And I'm three blocks south of Imperial Highway, which is unlabeled on the map, but is the south border of the airport, the surface-level extension of the 105 freeway, which ends at Pacific Coast Highway. I can't hear that freeway, but I can hear the airport. I've been hearing it for 48 years now. It was probably noisier back in the 60's and 70's... they've quieted aircraft down quite a bit since then.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]