Sign in to follow this  

...for Rob

Hi Rob,could not find the describtion from Tomi about the rotating lighthouse on his homepage.SincerelyTFT

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, maybe its not there directly. Does anyone else remember where this was? But its based on Tomi's rotating radar idea. If you define a circular path of sufficiently small radius, the object can be made to rotate (great for radars!).So to make your lighthouse, make a light source at the required height as one object.Next, in FLED, place the lightsource as a fixed object at the right place in the scenery. Then add the lighthouse as a moving object with a small radius circular track, the lightsource being slightly offcentre of the origin so that it will only shine through at one point of rotation.I'm expecting a lot here though. You need to be able to make the lightsource and be reasonably comfortable with using FLED. Have I said enough or would you like me to put my foot where my mouth is and actually make one myself, or give you more details on how to?I've got a queue of things to make at the moment, but if you like, I would be happy to make a working lighthouse for you, to your design if you wish. Or I can send you details on model-making and adding lights to models based on Tomi and others' work.Hope this helps, get back to me when you can.Rob D.

It's immposible to put moving ground object over static model ( I was trying to set helicopter on skycraper ). But lighthouse doesn't need to rotate. It must give pulsating light.B.Adamski

Guest R_Driscoll

Not impossible - I have done it. For example in Forest Falls, the fisherman is a moving object, but he appears to be sitting on the wharf, I had to make him a moving object because of the altitude problem.Just difficult!Rob D.

Guest jonpoint

Hi Guys!Oooo! Is that what you meant? I tried THIS and it sorta works but must be 'packaged' like Forest Falls to work:I created a lighthouse (kinda) object which sits on the ground (well, 12 inches below it to allow for uneven terrain...). In the center of the 'light' area (80ft above gnd level) I have a box, solid coloured black, surrounded by an 8-sided texture with transparent windows.I put two of my white runway lights as moving objects, each following the same path but 180 degrees apart.So, the lights chase each other around the center black box. By making the box fairly large, it obscures the one of lights for most of the time. This of course has the common limitation of the lights going out at a distance :-grrMy other method involves using night lighting (via the palette) which so far hasn't worked. The colours mentioned in the documentation I have simply do nothing. If it can be made to work, this method would require making the box inside the lighthouse to spin on a small track, with two opposing sides coloured for night lighting.Does anyone have any input on the terrain nightlighting? I fear that we would have to do something with this to get good lighting at a distance? With my first method, at one stage I had 8 lights on each side but they still disappeared when a distance away, as though they were one light :-( I know that airport beacons can be made more visible at a distance by editing the cfg file ('Beacon brightness=2.5' etc) but where's the 'hook' for it? Maybe we could create a 'hook' for lighthouses? Just an idea :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Jon, welcome back from NZ! Are you getting used to electricity, cars, phones etc again?What you have described is a different method but sounds workable. I look forward to a new lighthouse on AVSIM soon then!!??!! Either way, the lighthouse must be a part of a challenge or a package, as you said.Cheers,Rob D.

Hi,talking about moving Objects...Is it possible to let the Helicopter "fly" above ground on his path?SincerelyTFT

Guest R_Driscoll

YOu mean the default news chopper of course? Or the Chinook? Doesn't matter - both can fly at any altitude you like.Create a moving object in FLED, and on the dialogue screen, set the object to be the chopper, then untick the box saying grounded and make sure the box indicating facing direction of travel is ticked. Now click on path and draw the path you want on the scenery. This gives a path at ground level, with little green boxes indicating turning points in the path. Double left click on any of these boxes to open a points dialogue box, where you can set altitude. By parsing through each point on the path you can set the helicopter altitude profile as you like.Examples: the newschopper is used in my Grays Army Air Field, McChord AAF, and of course the balloon in Forest Falls. You can edit these packages yourself to see how flight profiles were created.Warning: if you move points (select a path point, move using right mouse hold and drag), then the altitude is reset to zero AGL.

Hi,I missed that out, dubbleclick on the dots. I