Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

What on Earth is wrong with reverse thrust in FS2002 ?

OK, there are TWO entries for DECREASE THROTTLE in the keyboard assignments list. The first one should actually be REVERSE THRUST. Therefore, I changed this one from F2 to JOYSTICK BUTTON 1.Then the problems start. Whilst using the joystick button is CONSIDERABLY more effective than using the F2 key, reverse thrust itself appears to do very little. In fact, I couldn't detect any effect at all when I tried to slow my Bac 1-11 down. I had to use the brakes instead.So, where does that leave me ? I love the sound and effect of reverse thrust after landing, but FS2002 appears to simulate this very badly indeed. If I am missing something here, then will someone please let me know ? I just cannot believe that such an important aspect of airliner operations can be so badly simulated. Looking Glass Studios have done such an elegant job with this in FU3, so why couldn't Microsoft ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

FS versions through (up to, and including,) FS 2000 had proper reverse thrust. With FS 2002 they tried something new... The default reverse thrust works more or less as a parachute drag -- pretty effective at high speeds but negligible effect at low speeds. There's a way around this. You'll have to "up" the reverse thrust efficiency in the aircraft.cfg. I think that the stock aircraft have something like 25% -- go 50 - 60%. To edit the aircraft.cfg you'll want the free Flight Dynamics Editor from Abacus (www.abacuspub.com).best regards,Hans Petter

Thanks for the info Hans. I was getting frustrated about this problem last night, and it was beginning to show in my messages. I hope this wasn't taken as yet another criticism of FS2002, because that wasn't my intention.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png