Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

GeeBee update

Guest jonpoint

Hi All!Just got back from NZ - data centres can be really fun places at 2:30AM - NOT!Thanks to all of you for your input on this. I am going to do some flight model testing tonight with Ansgar's suggestions - I don't know where the offset came from but if it fixes the problem, great! I will also move the main wheels apart slightly on the ground and increase the lateral drag of the tailwheel to see if that helps.Other things:1. I've added some wing wires to the binfile2. I am working on the F4 view3. I have created a 'frame' for the cockpit glass so it looks better. Now I'll try '99.95%' transparency ;)4. I have emailed Steve Hess regarding implementing his great cockpit!5. The rest of the textures are almost done. This has removed the jagged edges on the fuselage and wings and you can now see the nav lights in daylight. The cowl details, door and some fabric detail have also been improved :-)Questions:1. Are the crash models OK? I originally created the 'crashed' fuselages with a large oil slick around them and had ailerons and broken flaps hanging off the wings in an awkward fashion but when I tested them, sometimes, the wing stood off the ground or the oil slick was above the aircraft :-grr so I simplified them. A lot.2. Is the engine sound loud enough? Those of you with small speakers and no subwoofer may have overload problems. I usually fly with headphones because, at realistic sound levels I get noise complaints from the neighbourhood ;) To make it louder I must decrease the low-frequency content which, for those of us with good sound systems, would decrease the realism somewhat.3. Do we need working sticks and pedals in the F4 view? I have a suitable binfile and textures almost 75% done. I don't know how many people would use the F4 view anyway, except for looking 'up' at the ground when flying inverted! Again, thanks to all of you for the help and I look forward to releasing the 'beta' version :-hahAnd a special 'thanks' to Ansgar for minding the fort whilst I was away - thanks, Ansgar!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Ansgars download definitely tamed the beast some. No more digging up the runway with the wing tips, and the Mysterious right hand torque can be more easily controlled with full left aileron. As soon as you feel the tail lift, relax the stick and you are on your way. >>Jon's Questions: >1. Are the crash models OK? I originally created the >'crashed' fuselages with a large oil slick around them and >had ailerons and broken flaps hanging off the wings in an >awkward fashion but when I tested them, sometimes, the wing >stood off the ground or the oil slick was above the aircraft >:-grr so I simplified them. A lot.> Answer: Crash model fine - GBJ >2. Is the engine sound loud enough? Those of you with small >speakers and no subwoofer may have overload problems. I >usually fly with headphones because, at realistic sound >levels I get noise complaints from the neighbourhood ;) To >make it louder I must decrease the low-frequency content >which, for those of us with good sound systems, would >decrease the realism somewhat.> Answer: Definitely could be louder, need to feel that big engine. - GBJAnd yes Jon, spreading the gear is going to make things even better. Regards > Jim

Guest R_Driscoll

I love the F4 view - that's my main view when I fly the ultralights. But it doesn't need working pedals etc. But the continuous panning is a great advantage for watching things as they fly past you (low and fast), just before you smack into that mountain that leapt out of the ground in front of you.:-( Why do mountains DO that?Rob D.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jon,your welcome. Fine to hear that you

Guest jonpoint

Folks,Thanks for the feedback. I too tried Ansgar's fixes and yes, my daughter could almost take off in it (almost...) :-)The issue of moving the CofG IS tricky. I attempted this with mixed success but, having lowered it (in Ansgar's fixes), it may be better now. The current CofG causes the plane to nosedive somewhat on zero trim (just hit 'page up' a few times then watch the ground coming...) however, moving it back made the aircraft more 'nervous' at speed. This effect probably occurs because of the small tailplane area - I just found it felt more stable with a slight 'pull' on the stick. I will experiment more but please, try some changes yourselves - there more input the better. Just remember to document ALL your changes as I found out - changes made indiscriminately could result in something like the 'Saturn V' flight model I posted some time ago :-(I will remove some LF and compress the sounds a bit more as well. As far as the prop not agreeing with the engine sounds, it's weird. Sometimes, the sounds seem to get confused, especially on shutdown. I will persevere...Rob,Thanks for the 'welcome back' in the other forum post. Actually they've (NZ) come a long way recently - my hotel room even had a spa! The clouds even parted for long enough to enjoy (the daylight part of) the weekend - they then closed behind me - my colleague is STILL there waiting for the fog to clear and the airport to open... Just watch out for seals (!!?!) in the pedestrian road tunnels of Porirua after dark - I almost 'did' my undies when a large pair of eyes appeared, accompanied by loud grunting :-lol Fortunately, I was saved by a local who led it away by spraying it with his water bottle - NO JOKE!"Why do mountains DO that?"You anwered it yourself ;)".. a great advantage for watching things as they fly past you (low and fast).."Firstly, if "they fly past you..", advance the throttle to 100%, slowpoke :-lolSecondly, at 300ft/sec, beware of your reaction time - flying below ~500ft kinda requires that you don't look for your car in the carpark or familiar faces in the crowd... :-)Told ya this thing'd be fun! Keep the suggestions coming.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Some more changes...Ansgar, Jim and others,I made some changes following people's recommendations and it seems better:1. The wingtips don't go underground any more (they actually tear off if you hit them too hard) :-eek2. I spread the mainwheels apart, 150mm (6") each side. It more stable but still easy to tip up if you turn too hard.3. I increased the drag of the fuselage slightly so it slows down quicker when you cut the power. Also stops it accelerating so much when you drop the nose. Level flight WAS 234kts, now 196kts with 800hp.4. I changed the CofG slightly - but maybe too much. Now, when trimmed for level flight, the elevator is down slightly. You were correct here, Ansgar (again!) - it's really critical :-(5. I've remixed the engine sounds to be louder. Those of us with subs or headphones can turn up the bass :-hah6. I've 'revved-up' the idle sound a bit. The original sound is an R985 idling on water - hence the low revs (don't want to raise too much spray at the wharf) and the crackle (bouncing off the water). I ended up having to mix in some of my DC3 sounds to smoothe it a bit ;) The actual 'engine run' sound was mostly from my DC3 sounds as the in-flight recordings had too many 'other' sounds in them for looping. Next time I record, I'll wrap the microphones in blankets ;)7. The wing wires are annoying me. BSP keeps on leaving one or two out :-( . I tried increasing the cross-section and they come back but too thick (like struts). Ansgar, do you know of a switch in BSP that could affect this? How did you do the wire aerial on the DC3?8. The wheel drag on the ground seems too low. If you release the brakes, you get 17-20kts in no time. If I increase the drag enough to just let the plane 'creep', it nosedives on the ground when you touch down :-grr Any ideas?...getting there! Thanks for the feedback :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Hi Jon: I am anxious to try your changes, how might I obtain them ? Particularly interested in hearing your new sounds.Don't worry about the wires too much, some times they just busy up the picture too much, and make it look yucky. Maybe even leave them off ?Jim

Guest jonpoint

Jim,Send an email to the address below, giving your email address (that can accept large files). I will email to you the soundfiles with a Resviewer script. You will also need the physics file as it affects engine RPM + you can check out the other changes. I'll include the whole lot in a zipfile.I know what you mean about the wires but I'm determined to make them work - somehow. They're not important right now though ;)Ansgar, I'll send you a copy too!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************