Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Input required for a racing package!

Guest jonpoint

Hi all FU3 speedheads ;)As the GeeBee is getting closer, I wanted to finish my racing package and upload it before Christmas so I need some help and suggestions. What I have so far:~ Pylons (2 different kinds)~ A small grandstand~ A talking large windsock (it actually keys the 'crowd' soundfile!)~ 3 x GeeBee R2 models (one red&white flying, one red&white tail-down, one yellow& black flying)~Various soundfiles for the aircraft and the race commentator (!)Someone suggested Arlington as a suitable venue but I need some guidance here - maybe an airport diagram with suggested positions for the pylons and grandstand(s) - I've never been to the races at AWO!My intention was to make this a cross-country race, flying in a loop from AWO across to say NRA, then maybe east over to the mountains, around Skykomish and back to AWO via Forest Falls. A number of aircraft would be set on the course, flying at slightly different speeds so some would be easy to catch, one maybe not! I wanted to include speeding up and down some valleys for extra adrenaline :-eekWhat markers would be suitable for waypoints? Should the same pylons be used or maybe a couple of well-positioned cellphone towers? I was thinking of editing the airport to restrict traffic away from the runway being used for the airshow.Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Can I suggest a short course to start with? Maybe two courses: Arlington - Harvey (say three laps) Simple, speed Arlington - Forest Falls - Skykomish - FirstAir (1 lap?) - Long, manuoevring, harderI like the idea of the pylons rather than the cellphones - easierto spot when you're in a hurry!Anyway, its sounding great! I've already dusted off the trainerand coated the wings with Teflon awaiting the great day ...Oh alright. I'm learning to fly the GB too.Rob D.

Guest Staggerwing

Looking forward to the "Cross Country" setup for sure.. :-)

Guest DLM

This sound to me like a lot of fun! afterall we will need a few race courses for the upcoming GeeBee.One idea i have had for some time is to set up a racetrack with polygons in the desert outer-region west of Vegas.Since i have engaged in another project for FU3 i don

Guest Steffen

Hi Jon,as the challenge scripting language was an unexpected and useful tool for enhancing the B747, DC3, and Soaring experience in FU3,maybe creating a (optional) challenge for the races might make some things easier. For instance, playing special sounds (like crowds,...) can be made depending on whether you are flying at a special point, speed, condition, by random, or whatever you want. This will at certain times have advantages oover "sticking" the same sound to a model.Also, maybe it is possible in a challenge to create an invisible hoop course directly above your pylons. I'll check that. That way we could check for course violations or count the rounds,...If you can send me the exact things (sounds), events, conditions, ideas for the races, I'll try to come up with a challenge script to give you a better idea. Blue Skies, Steffen

Guest jonpoint

Folks,Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming please :-)Steffen,I have been thinking all along that a 'challenge' is the proper way of doing this but my time has been totally taken up with other things. As I mentioned earlier, I've created some models for it (when BSP was driving me crazy with the GeeBee) so we may as well. Your experience with challenges is the key here, 'coz I got no idea!Let me finish a couple of things with the package and I'll post it. You can then see what I've done and decide what's possible. We can always alter the package and re-post it WITH the challenge :-) . Can't wait to see people posting their (bogus) times in the forum ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Allan_D

Hi Jon,I was looking forward to this, But I do understand how hard it is to make things fly around in FU3, I believe I'm the master of that :-lolIf you'd like some help setting up a race please send me your files for the planes and the pylons, I'll have a look at putting a dozen or more Planes in your race circle. cldawson@dmci.netI'll send the files back to you and you can upload it.Have fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif