Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

Can someone explain what "AFCAD" is and how to use it??

Hi:I must be stupid or something....(no comments please!) but I see all these files on flightsim.com for various airports with gates, taxiways, runways...etc but then also says AFCAD is required.What exactly is it? I downloaded it but still don't know how to use it.Can anyone help??ThanksJonny

I just posted a similar request about TTools. I've had a little luck with AFCAD, though. Just download any of the zip files from the airport and facilities data category and unzip it into the same folder where you have AFCAD. You can then open AFCAD and add the file to it. I've added KORD and KSFO and the additioal gates are there. (You don't see the jetways, which I was hoping would be part of the program) Hope this helps

Guest Joshieca

AFCAD is an airport editor. You can add/remove/make changes to taxiways, parking, gates, things like that.It does not edit anything visual on the screen. It changes the way you can park your plane or AI planes, the way you can taxi to and from parking/gates to runways.You can also edit the freq's. that ATC uses for an airport. You can add/remove/change freq's. such at the tower, clearence, ground, etc.I have a visual help guide on my website (click on image below - from main page go to INSTALL HELP--2nd Jet on the top LEFT) that walks you through installing many of the AFCAD .zip files you see out there.......BUT......If you want to learn how to use the program, there is a well written help section from within the program. Just take an hour or so to go through it and use the program at the same time.- josh

Hi:Ok.......I understand it now on how to install it.....but what are the advantages, pros & cons of having AFCAD? I mean if you can't see any changes visually....what does it do then?? I was hoping it would ADD gates with jetways.......Jonny

Guest GalacticCowboy

It can change the way the AI aircraft move around the airport. It can also change the instructions that ATC will give you for moving around the airport. It can increase the number of parking spaces at an airport so that there are more planes (use TTools to create additional flights to fill those parking spaces). It has also been used to increase the number of active runways at some airports. By default ATC will only use the longest runway. With AFCAD, you can "close" that runway to prevent aircraft from landing on it (they'll still take off there) and landings will be redirected to the second-longest runway. Useful for many larger airports that have parallel runways that are active simultaneously.