Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Heathrow Airport

Guest R_Driscoll

I have uploaded a new scenery package, for Heathrow Int Airport west of London in the UK. The package is distributed in three parts to assist those who don't like long downloads.The package covers the airport area only, and adds several new buildings. New models specifically for Heathrow have names prefixed with "htr", but generic new models (such as avgas tanks and sound guards) don't.I hope this package serves to encourage the FU3 community to think seriously about getting the amazing UK-South region onto their systems! Contact Quaxo - he has been very obliging and eager to help.Any complex package such as this one relies on many helpers - in this case Quaxo, Ansgar, Gideon (tools, advice), Gary Watts (textures), Jon and others (encouragement), Quaxo, Agtim & team (UKS region). Despite their best efforts I will have made mistakes and would appreciate any feedback that helps me fix or improve this package.I recommend downloading all three components of the package to be sure that you have all of the models in the correct textures. However, if you are broadband challenged and have kept current with the San Fran models, you may wish to copy your San Fran collection across to UK-South, saving you download of Part C of the package.I have gone for photo-realism when I could, within the limits of producing low polygon models with indexed palette textures, so that what you see here is what is actually there. But with some exceptions (for the purists) - I couldn't model ALL of the buildings - there's dozens, nor could I model every air conditioning duct, tank, access ramp etc. Also there is an imaginary GA area for the Player to start from. So the models are simplified, and I have reused a couple,and invented a few.As a result, framerates are still good, and I think you should enjoy this little package.Regards to all,Rob D.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Robert,yesterday I loaded your three packs, installed and tested them.Everything wents fine and the buildings are looking very good for me!Thank you very much for this nice package!! :-)For newer versions of it I would like to see it coming in one zip-file together. They are so small that we didn

Guest Quaxo

Hello Ansgar,The runways can't be added for now. This is because runways are flat models, while the terrain there isn't flat (yet). So, adding the runway would result in a runway "floating" above the ground in some places (and this would lead to very rough landings!)We must wait for a tool to edit elevation, so then we can "flatten" the airport areas, and then add runways.Cristian

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Ansgar! I'm sure Heathrow will continue to develop. I think thehardest part is finished now. But it will take me some time to flattenthe airport and add the other bits like runways.I really appreciate the feedback though and if anyone has comments on things they would like to see improved, please let me know.Future uploads should be smaller, as I should only have to replace the first part of the upload.Rob D.

Guest R_Driscoll

Andre has just uploaded flattened Heathrow. Well there goes my excuse about runways, taxiways etc, and OK, there goes my weekend too. I will try and build some more of Heathrow this weekend and post Version Two SOOONNNN.(Thanks Andre!)Rob D.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Robert,Uiiiijjjj boy, thats named an really fast positive response. ;-) :-)But don

Guest R_Driscoll

You're right Ansgar, I was a bit optimistic! I have started though, and AFTER Christmas (hello family) will try to get further.Actually I know little about editing airports and am having to learn the FLED language. So fixing airports over the weekend was too optimistic. Now why am I getting two taxiways everywhere? oh yes...Is there a way of making runways automatically? Or do I have to create it as a scenery object? I can't find the commands for this.I started adding taxiway edgings, and then noticed that the real Heathrow doesn't have them! Sorry guys, if it ain't in the original it ain't in. You'll have to make do with centreline markings (but I'm not really such a purist).The buildings look very dark at night. Jon Point is going to solve this problem soon by making a big breakthrough on night lighting.Aren't you Jon?Rob D.

Guest qvdg

Thanks for Heathrow. It really shows what we can do with true imagery and talented modelers. It's a ripper !Cheers,QvdG