Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robs

New Planes

Guest glidernut

Thanks Jim B,I now have Adobe Acrobat Reader, and I can read the Pdf file.Quentin,Ye, mw too, well simuler.I got sum gliders from FS98, and put them throo the {Mdl2dxf21.exe} tooland thay look grate in the {3D Exploration program}, But thay wont go into {gamex} or my {3D Studio MAX}.I think I was a bit prematuwer in thinking thees particuler modeling programswill work on my Windows XP. Thats sods lor.Quentin,I think your out of luk too. Ansgar sed only sum of the FS98-2K models willconvert suksesfly.Lets hope Im rong.glidernut.

Guest Ansgar

Hi Quentin,hi Glidernut,here are a link to different versions of MDL2DXF converters:http://home.swipnet.se/~w-50954/hv/mdl/mdl.htmMy experience is, that the version V3.2 is the best of all and works in most cases.1) After the mdl2dxf conversion you should look to the so converted *.dxf file (not the mdl-file!) with 3D-Exploration. If the dxf-file looks close to an correct model the import to gmax V1.2 or 3D-Studio must work also correct! I never had an problem to import it to gmax correct once the dxf-file is OK.2) If all conversions fail the model is incompatible with the mdl2dxf.exe converter. The dxf-file looks in 3D-Exploration then like an horrend amount of confusing polygons. This damaged conversions result looks often like an confusing form of a "star of polygons".I often had this porblem with files created for FS2000 or higher. The FS95 files often works correct. And FS98 gives you a chance of 40% that the conversion works. Most of the last higher quality models are build with FSDS and therefore the conversion goes wrong. Pls. look to the size of the *.MDL source file. If this is greater than 500-600kb the conversion often is not possible.Ansgar A.

Guest glidernut

Hi Ansgar A.>1) After the mdl2dxf conversion you should look to the so converted *.dxf file >(not the mdl-file!)Yes, I understand that. >with 3D-Exploration. If the dxf-file looks close to an correct model the import >to gmax V1.2 or 3D-Studio must work also correct! It should but it dont.I tryed using the other mdl2dxf converters, but thay gave the same reslt, looksgood in 3D-Exploration, but still not go into gmax V1.2 or 3D-Studio.But it should, so I keep trying.Yes I did it, yipeeee, I got it inot my 3D-Studio at last.This is how.I converted the (*.dxf) file into a (*.3ds) file using crossroads.You can get crossroads hear,http://home.europa.com/~keithr/crossroads/Im Thinking this little crossroads program might be usefal to others as well.Thank you Ansgar, glidernut.

Guest Robs

Ansgar,Where do you get the correct sounds for engines etc (I guess you can fake flaps and gears from resources ripped from default FU3 aircraft). Some aircraft make such distinctive sound that faking it is not possible (eg good ol' Spitty!)Maybe you own a 747 and can record suitable wav files!!!Also are AI aircraft much different? Res file place somewhere else without flight dynamics or cockpit?Rob.

Guest Ansgar

Hi Rob,the sources I got from several free sources in the internet. You only can get them from other sources of mostly older FS95/98/2000 models.If the sound sources are not free you must remix them very heavily.To my shame I didn

Guest Robs

Ansgar,I am really glad I asked these question because the answer to my original question is designing new planes is a really big deal.I also appreciate the effort that has gone into to providing the dc3 or 747 that I downloaded for free.You should know I have really enjoyed the DC3!I was thinking that the best way for me to start 3D modeling is with some simple scenery and low polygon stuff to get my confidence and expertise up before I try a more complicated plane shape.(I have a feeling that texture etc may be more difficult than it sounds).When I have a couple of correctly scaled houses done, I'll call back and try my hand at some AI planes! Or even player planes.Rob.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Rob,very good!!! That

Guest glidernut

I dont have an F16.But I do have thees.Are thay any good to any one?If any one wants any of them, say so, and Iill send them on as is.F14STAND.MAXF14.MAXF18.MAX

Guest Robs

Ansgar,I think i will try a few objects and then try to do a small airstrip for the UK scenery (when it arrives) and possible go from there, or some POI's.Off the thread a bit here - if I were to do a small glider strip somewhere it is possible to define balloons. parachutists, gliders, hangliders and helicopters that commonly operate at these airstrips?(obviously in moderation)Would you do them as AI aircraft or can you define moving objects that move thru space (instead of along the ground)?it would be interesting as glider cables etc provide additional hazards for VFR aircraft entering a glider field.I have been reading Mr Driscols tuttorial and might start with text object first before downloading Gmax.Anyway I'll let you know how I get on!!Rob.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Glidernut,Wow! Are that your sources?! Especially the last two (F14.max and F18.max) are looking very promising. If they have not much more then 2000 polygons they would be ideal to have jets in FU3!Can you please check the amount of poly

Ansgar,We could use that F18 as an AI plane !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Hi Ansgar, Q, Wow! Are that your sources?!No, I did not do them.I found them on a CD that cum with 3D-Sudiow-max.Q, How many polygons? I,m sory, I havent got a cloo.And I dont know how to fined out.Hi Robs,Q, Off the thread a bit here - if I were to do a small glider strip somewhere it is possible to define balloons. parachutists, gliders, hangliders and helicopters that commonly operate at these airstrips?(obviously in moderation)Yes, that would be good. Q, Would you do them as AI aircraft or can you define moving objects that move thru space (instead of along the ground)?I can not do AI aircraft at all. I can not macke models at all.But I can and will do gliding packages useing fled for the UK, {when I get it}.And I can useing Fled get existing models to move thru spase. glidernut.