Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Our best wishes to FlyBert...

Good to see you back, Bob :-wave. And wish you good health and happiness in 2003!

Guest Motormouse

Good news Bob,what was it? too much christmas turkey or not enough whiskey!:-wavePete

Guest Robert_S

Howdy Pete!Actually, it was a combination of too little medication (Lasix. a diuretic, AKA a "water pill") and an unexpected overload of salty food. Turns out that smoked salmon is essentially a slab of salt. The medication has been upped, and I now view salty foods as a death ticket. Not being able to breathe is not a lot of fun.Thanks for the "Christmas Cracker", Pete! :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

Guest R_Driscoll

I've been away for Xmas and just heard about your sickness. Welcomeback - glad you're OK again!And next time you want salmon, take the Beaver up to the nearest fishing lake in Seattle and catch your own!regards,Rob D.

Guest Robert_S

Thanks, Rob. :-)Yes, that would be the smart thing to do. Nothing wrong with salmon... great stuff and good for you. When the doctor asked what I had eaten recently and I mentioned the salmon, he immediately asked "canned or smoked?" I told him smoked, and he informed me that smoked salmon is loaded with salt. And when I first opened the package some days ago, my mom tasted it and said "no thanks, it's far too salty." So much stuff is loaded with salt... ever look at the sodium levels in a can of chili? :-rollSalt simply being "bad for you" was one thing, which I kinda ignored. When it causes inability to breathe correctly, it surely opens your eyes. :-eek[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]

Guest twsimfan

I still maintain that smoked salmon is health food! But it wont buy what the local (Denver area) grocery stores sell as "fresh smoked salmon". I wait until my annual pilgramage to Tacoma... where they have the real stuff. :)

Guest Motormouse

Ah-ha,'twas as I expected,too little whiskey :-lolGlad you liked the 'cracker',that site gives my little daughter hours of christmas fun!!www.crackermatic.com:-wavePete

Guest DLM

Good to have you back Bob!What is it with you and food anyway? ;-) // Daniel

Guest CaptRolo

FlybertI'm glad your alright now . I avoided SaurKraut this newyears eve because it's loaded with salt too.So far starting out, this looks like a good year.!! CaptRolo

I followed this thread on my father's PC as I was home for the Holidays. I was unable to reply since I couldn't remember my Avsim password. Anyway, it was nice to learn that it turned out OK.The typical "binge eating" of festive occasions is hard on anyone's system and it doesn't help that most of the food is salty, sweet and loaded with saturated fats. Holidays aside, try to get as much unprocessed food as you can. Even diabetics can hardly go wrong if they focus on fresh fish / meat, vegetables and fruit :-) Most of our traditional Christmas foods are "stored winter supplies" from before the fridge was invented. This means drying, smoking, salting or lots of sugar to preserve perishable foods. These treatments keep the bacteria away but the downside is that nutritional value as well as digestability suffers as well. The paradox is that, out of tradition, we learn to prefer the highly processed foods even when we have fresh foods readily available. By the way, we ate turkey for Christmas.Happy New Year to you all!Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Bob,Boy what was that...? I didn