Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Bristol and other cities included!

Guest Quaxo

I have included the cities of Bristol and Bath, plus Cardiff and Newport.I still have to do 3 megatiles to "regularize" the shape of the area, and to fill a gap (the two water tiles NE of Bristol!) This would take some time though, as I don't have the data for them. I'll have to download them by hand, and it will be time consuming.And I think I'll have to stop after those tiles, as it's becoming too expensive for me (last phone bill was 169 Euro! :-() If one day we'll have ADSL service in my town, and I'll get it, maybe I'll start again... :)After these three tiles, I'll continue tweaking the land classification, to remove water from the runways. As soon as I've "dried" the major airports, I'll post a fix in the library (this fix will also be included in the next update CD's).Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Yes!!!Cardiff airport (and my house) :-):-wavePete

Guest qvdg

Cristian Excellent work as always ! Cheers, QvdG

Guest Quaxo

Pete, is the Cardiff airport the one a few km W of Barry? That's the only airport I could find...Where do you live exactly? If you give me proper directions, I can post a screenshot of your house! :)Cristian

Guest glidernut

Cristian,Thats a lot of work your puting in.I hope you know its very much apreesheeated.I hope you dont over work your self.Do you still play the piano and the guitar now and agen?All the best,glidernut.

Guest Quaxo

Hi Glidernut,You're right, I'm putting a lot of work on this project. I would have expected some more interest though... several users now have the scenery, but only 1-2 of them are "regulars" of this forum. I had thought that the regulars would have been the first to be intrested... Oh well, I never did it for others in the end, I just like doing it :) !And yes, I still find the time to play instruments... Lately I've discovered hard-disk recording, and now I play the guitar while three girls sing old cartoons musics... we record the tracks on the HD, then mix/edit, and burn CD's! ;-)Cristian

Guest glidernut

CristianIm shooer, like me, all the regulars are very interested indeed, but lack the nesesery abilaty to help.Mark my words, when the UK is finished and compleet with trrain hight, every one will wont it. inclooding me, most definatly.And peopl will not consider FU3 to be compleet without your UK region.glidernut.

Guest Quaxo

Thanks Glidernut!As for finishing the region, we're starting to define a full-stop (or maybe a looong pause :)) in the terrain development. I would like to go on, but I can't.And terrain height is already present and working. I think that the next two update CD's (which will be ready, I hope, in the next weeks) will be the last terrain updates for a loong time. After that, we'll need volunteers to make packages, airports, and such...Cristian

Guest R_Driscoll

I'm sure the main problem is distribution! Once people see the higher quality graphics and colours of Britain, its hard to go back to the old regions. And there's so much now to explore. But I'm still having hard disk space problems! I can only see a small bit at a time. I hope in a few weeks (months? I'm slow) to put in a new hard drive ...And some people will be waiting for the finished product - then there will probably be a rush of orders.I suggest when you finish, upload an advertisement to AVSIM as a downloadable package, which includes a description of the completeUK-South package, a map of the area covered, detailed instructions on how to get the complete (10 disk?) package from you, cost, installation instructions, acknowledgements and disclaimer (i.e. "if you install this package and it kills your dog, don't blame me" or words to that effect).I think you have done so much - it would be nice to finish it off asraw scenery only, and rely on others to develop radar, terrain adjustment, scenery, airports etc as people like, "publishing" through AVSIM. Especially if future upgrades to terrain classification couldbe uploaded for small areas through AVSIM.These are just suggestions, but mainly I just want to acknowledge the enormous amount of work you have done to make UK! Thankyou Cristian!!Regards,Rob D.

Hello Cristian.I have been following your work with the UK region for several monthswith great interest, and I am very interested in ordering the CD's.I was like others thinking to wait until you was finished.Just give a message here when you are at the full stop/pause.I think as Rob said you have to make some docomentation to this,-like install intructions etc."Publishing" through AVSIM would also be a good idea.- but I would rather buy the CD's directly instead of downloading.For the moment I also have a discspace problem, but in the future I will upgrade, and your work will be the first to be installed.I idmire your huge amount of work with this new region, and alsoAgtim to make new tools to do it.Best regardsLars Peter.

Guest Motormouse

Hi Cristian,my posted reply to your questionseems to have got lost on the 'other' forum system,so here it is again!!!It sounds as if you have identified Cardiff Airport,and a few km further west you'll see St Athan military base(egdx)Here's a aerial picture of my house,close to the threshold of disusedrunway 03/21.Info for Cardiff Airport (egff)Ils r/w 12/30 (both ends) 110.70Twr 125.00Radar 125.85Atis (new freq) 128.82(old freq) 119.47on airport ndb 'cdf' 388.50:-wavePetePs I'm waiting on a bigger hd to fit all the scenery on to :-)

Hi all,Quaxo is continue tweaking the land classification, to remove water from the runways...but it was never the idea that Quaxo has to do it all. The basic classification run is setting water where no water should be because the classification is based on colors only and some colors for sea and land use the same palette entry.The problem is at the airport area only. To clean up an airport there are a couple of easy steps, feasible for every one:1. locate an airport inside the region2. define name and details (short name, runways, frequencies) using the web or other sims.3. locate the megatile name where the airport is placed in fu3 using FLED for this4. With GoeTilesViewer export classification of this megatile, getting cl5aaaa.tga, where aaaa is the tile name5. paint this file, using the same colors and just replace the blue pixel by red or green one.6. if you want flatten out the area then paint the airport area in yellow (palette entry 4) see the Heathrow example in the library.7. import the painted cl5aaaa.tga using GeoTilesviewer, that's it.8. if Ok then you are ready to build up the airport with runways and grounded models.9. make a package of this airport and include the cl5aaaa.tga in the zip and upload to avsim.I hopped that more users will make packages for the UK-South area. about as many as for San Francisco and Seattle, even placing imaginary airfields there.There are a lot of untouched airports in the UK-South area.All FU3 projects are alive as cooperation works.and there are more region coming up, from people not active in this forum, but working on areas in the north of Europe.And now back to the elevation analysis, now on final ...:-wave agtim

Guest twsimfan

Cristian,If I have shown a lack of interest it was only because I figure my copy is already reserved. ;-) Make no mistake... I am very interested... just prefer to wait until it is a finished project... or at least at your breakpoint.BTW... It is looking very good!

Guest Quaxo

Hi Pete,I had seen your reply in the "other" forum... )But why hs it changed back?)Did you read my reply there? Basically I was apologizing because, while practicing touch'n'go's with my 737, I... well, spread aircraft pieces all over your garden. Sorry for your flowers! :)And if you should find my nose gear, please send it back to me, I need it to get flying again! ;-)Cheers,Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Tom, Lars, I just want to point out that I wasn't in any way complaining. You all know, I'm doing UK because I like it, and not because I want to give it to others; if others want it, I'll share it, that's all. I know HD space is a problem... I had to uninstall LOTS of things myself, to keep all UK on my HD (and I WANT all UK on my disk! :))As for "finishing" it, the fact is that UK will never be finished... There's too much to do. I will probably stop here (after my last two megatiles); but then, if some new volunteer pops up with new data, I will continue. So I can't really say "Now I'm finished"... (But I'm saying: Now I'm on a indefinitely long pause! ;-))Regarding uploading: in no way I could upload the scenery. Just too big (>5 Gb when finished!) But I/we can upload classification fixex, and packages, and airports, and ATC, and so on... Anyway, we've always included all the released packages with every new update CD.CD distribution is the only practical way to go.And the CD's contain detailed install instructions...Oh, Tom... Don't worry, I didn't forget about your copy! I was just waiting for you to ask for it! :)Cristian