Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Hi-Res Expansion?

This is just a wild idea from a sidewalk supervisor,We've got a good hi-res area for southern England now and one for Switzerland. I haven't installed either one yet but I will. I'm going to set up a separate installation of FU3 for these since the sim doesn't care for registry entries. (Just copy your entire directory and paste it into another folder and it will run just fine).What I'm thinking is, could we expand the current hi-res areas? Using aerial photos we might connect the Seattle and the San Francisco regions. Yes I know, this is really no novel idea since Bluejay did dabble into some Canadian areas. Still, Quaxo has proved that it can indeed be done and what would be more natural than expanding the current hi-res areas? I'm quite sure that there's source photos for these areas somewhere, just as for the UK. best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hans, don't think it's so easy to find good (free) photos! Long ago I had searched for good USA photos, and never found them. Even now, I don't know of other good sources, as good as Multimap for the UK.After all, if I could have found good images of Italy, I would be doing an Italy scenery right now, instead of UK! Italy has many more mountains than UK... :)Cristian

Hans,Strangely, I had just spoken about this very topic with Cristian only two days ago ! I was considering the possibility of expanding the San Francisco scenery region, since I prefer this area. In fact, Microsoft's TerraServer does actually have USGS satellite photos that are FREE to download. However, they are black and white. The FU3 resolution of 4 metres per pixel can be selected, but adding colour might prove rather more difficult. Have a look at the following address, and then zoom in to the relevant area of the US map.terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/cmap.aspx?The area covered by a single photo at 4 metre resolution is pretty small, so I have no idea if this type of project would be feasible or not.Comments are welcome.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris,The size of the pictures is not a problem. Downloading and patching can be done automatically but then you have black and white pictures and you will have to color manually, there will be no good result by converting gray scale in colors by software. Painting will need months even years and I think this is Bluejay's problem also.Even using ready to use color pictures you have to invest a very high amount of working hours.Nevertheless there will be now region coming up - imaging how long you need to color something like this.http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/den002.jpghttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/den001.jpg:-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

>I'm going to set up a separate installation of FU3 for these since the sim >doesn't care for registry entries. (Just copy your entire directory and >paste it into another folder and it will run just fine).Ye, thats a good ideaer you got there Hans, I'v just dun it 3 timse over, and thay work a treet.And by creating and renameing a shortcut for eech of the new directory's, I have them all in a row on my desktop. Its the quikest way of geting to what ever seenary you want.And as eech directory only needs the Packages for that seenary, Its a lot les confusing, in the Packages folders.glidernut.

Guest Robs

And towers of pizza's!I'm glad your doing UK!Rob.