Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Heathrow Upgrade !

Guest R_Driscoll

Version 2 has been uploaded to AVSIM.This version adds runways, taxiways, lighting, new models, and improved landscaping.If you have not installed version 1, then install version 1 first. This has three parts, HTR1A.zip, HTR1B.zip and HTR1C.zip. The last two parts (1B and 1C) are essential for the package to work. These three files were uploaded on 15th December 2002 so should be easy to find. Once you have installed version 1, follow the instructions included in the package (text file "Heathrow2.txt").I am very happy with the fuel tanks. My whole family are laughing at me because I keep telling them to come and look at the textures on these new tanks - they are shiny and look silvery! They don't undertand how important this is ...But the real tanks (at Heathrow) are painted white. Bother.The player parking spot has been selected outside the Airport Operations Safety Unit at the West Terminal. Originally I placed it outside the Glidernut hangar (you did know that Glidernut operations have expanded to UK, didn't you), but it was pointed out to me that Ansgar's 747 would have a little trouble with the gate, so I moved the start point out onto the taxiway proper. After a flight, taxi up to the old hangar (sorry Glidernut, I meant new state of the art maintenance workshop) - the view is worth it.Several models from other sceneries have been added - a compromise to increase scenery verticality within limited time - esp the Seattle radar, reuse of a few buildings.I have renamed Heathrow from HTR to LHR (London Heathrow Airport). The ATC frequencies are selected from the actual frequency list for Heathrow. I have not added approach sequencer lights, ILS approaches, moving objects or AI planes. Lighting for 27R/09L and 05/23 is sparse.I welcome comments and feedback. I will maintain (and fix) this package as necessary, but I have no plans to continue Heathrow. I hope you enjoy this package!Rob D.

Robert,Do you have any screenshots of Heathrow to show us ? I would be interested to see the taxiways and runways.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Rob,No screenshot of the tanks for us? ;-)I should be able to get a minor release of the beacons done in the next couple of days with the Heathrow ILS if that's OK by you, I'm not planning on another major one until I get hold of the latest scenery updates from Cristian.I'm interested in putting together some of the smaller airports, mainly the ones along the south coast. I'm a complete beginner to 3d modelling though so it might take me some time. Any handy hints to share? Do you know of anyone working on any other airports?Anyway, thanks for all the effort, I hope that some more people here can contribute too.Rich.

Guest R_Driscoll

Screenshots ??? :-lol I thought you'd never ask.Click on the list of "images of upload" just below the title bar on the download page. The first is (drumroll) the tanks.Sorry Chris, I don't have any pictures handy of the runways. But they look just like runways. From a distance. The taxiways have been created in FLED and are not overtextured (i.e. I have not added a texture to them but left them as they are), but have had lines added (centreline only as Heathrow has no edge lines), lights added (centre and edges), ends added (dashed lines) and labels (taxiway alpha bravo etc). No great modelling feats here I am afraid. But have you seen the tanks?Rob D.

OK Rob, perhaps asking for screenshots of the runways was a touch pointless (-: When I said taxiways, I was thinking of the centre and edge lines, as opposed to any new textures. I was just curious to see how many taxi lines you had added. I didn't intend to criticise your work.........I was just thinking that the real Heathrow airport must have a SERIOUS amount of taxi lines :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, you are right, there are many taxiways. But the taxilines at Heathrow (according to my sample photos) are very clear and well-spaced - I mean that they don't look confusing or messy even though each terminal area has so many parking bays. I have tried to follow these photo taxilines in the main taxiway areas, but not followed them through to individual bays. I have done this in greatest detail for the West Terminal only (where the Player starts from), and in decreasing detail for the other three. And I have named the taxiways myself (alpha, bravo etc) as I couldn't find the actual Heathrow taxiway names.In the same way I have put maximum detail into the 09R/27L runway (new runway signs, frangible approach light poles etc) and decreasing detail into the others (centre lights only). Try it - I think you won't miss the detail, but if you want I will upgrade all of the airport. I think the framerates would cope.But to answer your question, just for the West terminal I spent two evenings just constructing taxiway centre lines, taxiway centre lights, taxiway edge lights, taxiway paths for ATC, taxiway signs, taxiway names, .... learning as I went since I had never done this before.I hope you can successfully load and test this - I have already had to post an essential correction to AVSIM.Also I will try to make some more pretty pics of the airport and load it to this thread - but the sims at home and I'm at work, so tomorrow.Regards,Rob D.

Guest R_Driscoll

Rich, I didn't add the ILS because I didn't know the LHR ILS frequencies. I suggest can you wait before adding the ILS yourself in case there are still problems with the LHR uploads. Once I have confirmation that it is stable, I will hand the package over to you and you can add the ILS - you need to do this into the runway part of the model (editing the airport in FLED, clicking on the runway marker green dots). I can do this if you like. Otherwise in correcting or upgrading the airport, I might accidentally overwrite your work.For Seattle, a lot of very good airport packages were made without 3D modelling at all. So far very few people have mastered it (although its much easier than making planes!!!!). Hints and tips? Read the tutorial I put on AVSIM (10th December 2002), see if you can make something simple to start with. Finding pictures and dimensions of what you are modelling is difficult, but usually I find what I need on the web. I have avoided pinching any of MSFS textures. If you like I can send you some text file examples of the building process.But as I said, you can do a lot using the existing models - Jon has published dozens of trees for example, and there are many models already available in FLED. I'm not trying to discourage you - we need scenery modellers urgently - just to warn you there's a bit of a learning curve. Drop me an email if I you want any of this (there are email icons in the message title bars).I don't know of anyone else making airports for UK! Go for it. I suggest letting this forum know about what airport you are building to avoid two people making the same airport. And if you like, I can help make models for you, and you make the airport, placing the models where you like.Rob D.

Hi Rich,Most tricky part is FLED usage until you get your fist airport error free.Save and backup your work very often then FLED is not crash proof.Take an airport from a package and analyze it. Use bookmarks.Create airports in a package only, so when fu3 crash's at start then just move away the package and replace by and older, working version of your work.feel free to ask more - UK airport builder are welcome.Hi Robert, thank you very much for this fine airport. :-)):-wave agtim