Sign in to follow this  

Port Angels ?

Hey Gang: In the Seattle area, didn't we use to have a Port Angels field on the North coast ? I swear that I have used it, and now it's gone ? What could I have done to make it dissapear ? It's not even on my Map any longer ? I did add some scenery packages up there. Am I losin it or what ? ? ?> Jim

Guest Rich Wren

It's there on my copy but I've lost track of exactly what mods I've installed and what I haven't. The best thing to do would be to back out any recent scenery additions one-by-one until it returns.Rich.portangeles.jpg

Jim,I think that you need the outer terrain scenery installed to see Port Angeles on the map.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks Rich, for helping me recover my sanity. I thought that maybe I had OD'd on them funny little pills again. Yup, your Map shows it just where I remembered it, I use to use it all the time, now its gone. I did install scenery "upgrades" at Sequim Valley and Diamond Point, so I'll try backing them out.Has anyone else experienced this ?

Nope, it wasn't any of the scenery add-ons that caused it. I removed all of them. Still no Port Angeles. Now Chris Low, how can I confirm that I have the outer terrain loaded ? I do see a folder labeled "Outer" in Seattle, but I don't know if it is active ?

Guest R_Driscoll

I remember Port Angeles as one of the airports in FS5.0 - you could take off from there, fly east and there was a balloon floating in the sky. This was considered amazing graphics at the time. Then if you kept flying east, you would come to Seattle, with white lines on flat green terrain representing roads.I've definitely got an airport at Port Angeles on my installation - its just slightly outside the detailed terrain area but I don't think its in the outer terrain area. And I also don't remember where it came from - it doesn't seem to be in Frank's hangar. I thought it was a default airport.Rob D.

Guest Quaxo

To see if you have Outer Terrain working, just take a fast plane and fly in any direction. After a while, if you see mirroring terrain, you don't have Outer Terrain. If you see terrain with generic textures, you have Outer terrain. Cristian

Jim,Can you see any generic scenery terrain from airports close to the map edge (like Sequim Valley or Diamond Point) ? Go to the F5 view and zoom out. If you can, then outer terrain is installed. If it isn't (and this is likely, since you cannot see a Port Angeles airport icon on the map), then you will see mirrored high resolution terrain stretching away into the distance.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>Jim, >you >will see mirrored high resolution terrain stretching away >into the distance. >>Chris Low, >ENGLAND. Yes Chris, this is exactly right. GPS shows me out over the Pacific, and I'm still seeing high resolution terrain all around me.What must I do to fix it ? > Jim

Guest Quaxo

Jim,Outer Terrain can't be read from CD, or installed at a second time. If you don't have it working, you'll have to reinstall the whole FU3. The complete outer terrain takes a very big amount of disk space!Anyway, I've removed outer terrain from my HD... I really don't like the "color change" at the borders, and I didn't fly there anyway, as the textures are so generic! They remind me of MSFS... ;-)Cristian

Jim,As far as I am concerned, there is nothing to fix ! :-)However, if you want to install the outer terrain scenery, you may well have to uninstall FU3 first, and then reinstall everything.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Cristian & Chris: Thanks Guys, that's good news. I woun't worry about it now. The big mystery to me is, what happened to it to make it go away ? I didn't realize that Port Angeles was actually in the outer terrain, but I shouldn't miss it that much. That about wraps it up, thank you all for your help.I better go and Hanger the Gee Bee now, we have a storm moving in.I gotta take good care of it, or Jon will get mad at me. > Jim

Guest juvat2

Here's how I've re-installed or initial installed outer terrain, these need to be added to your flt3.cfg:use_loose_gtls ;generate_outer_megatilesRemove the ";" from the second line and place one in front of the first line. Start Fu3 and it will start generating the outer mega tiles. It takes about an hour for fu3 to generate the outer tiles on my pc due to my slowish mobo,processor and ram combo. When it's done generating, start a flt. Then close out fu3, re-open the flt3.cfg again. Now place the ";" in front of the 2nd line and remove the one from the first. If you don't this it'll try and generate the outer mega tiles again.To see if it's already been generated look in this location:"x":Program FilesFlight3outterrIf you have tons of airport locations, and models it's been generated at least once. There are lots of nice packages here at the library made especially for the outer terrain. It's quite fun flying there. All alive with radio chatter and AI aircraft. Folks are missing out on a more expansive flight experience with Fu3 if they haven't generated the outer tiles.Its very true that the terrain is quite generic, but using the outer terrain editor available here at the library, you can customize it to your tastes up to a point. Here's an excerpt from the editors files:" Editing Flight Unlimited 3