Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Strange OT issue

Yesterday I started a flight at Orange, CA in the Beechjet. The sim loaded fine and I got the plane unto the runway. As I accelerated for take-off it suddenly crashed to the desktop. Then I tried Van Neus and San Diego and ran into the same problem -- it loads all right but the sim crashes during the take-off roll.I've got a backup copy of the entire sim without a proper generation of megatiles. I tried this one and everything worked fine. I landed at LAX, which looked like a Midwestern town in the middle of green generic textures. (Without "generate_outer_megatiles" and then "use_loose_megatiles" there's no proper allocation of textures and no shoreline).Anyway, my outer terrain used to work as intended and now something has gone sour in southern California. I'm quite familiar with crashes AS THE SIM LOADS, after having installed incompatible packages. However, this time it loads beautifully but then decides to quit as I'm about to leave the ground, from any so Cal airport. Any idea what might be the problem?I might copy the entire outer terrain folder from the working backup and run "generate_outer_megatiles" on it but I just don't have a clue what might have affected these so Cal airports. I repeat: It crashes to the desktop as I'm about to rotate rather than crashing as the flight loads.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hans,I don't know if this can be of some use, but I had some problems like the one you describe... I was doing UK airports, and sometimes things messed up with FLED, resulting in a broken airport; then, EVERY AIRPORT of the area caused a crash, during the takeoff run or just after touchdown (when rolling on the runway anyway). It was difficult to understand which was the broken airport; but once identified, and removed it, all the problems were gone.So maybe you have a corrupted airport, which affects all your airports in that area... Might be worth a try...Cristian

It would be worth looking for any airport icons on the map that seem to have moved. If they have, replace them with backup copies.I assume that you HAVE backup copies ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Backup copies? Let's see -- a full "basic" version of FU3 on drive D as backup, as well as an outerr_bak in my main FU3 directory :-)The backup works but I'll have to run the "generate_outer_megatiles" to make it look pretty. The one I used actually looked prettier since I had imported other generic textures. Remember that we tried to improve the generic textures about a year ago? Juvat was working on the Grand Canyon and I imported textures through gtledit.exe. If I remember correctly we used some generic textures from another flightsim. This will all be lost if I resort to the default outer terrain folder. But then, it seems to be the only way. I tried to swap "Airports" only but this had no effect. During my last tries the sim would crash every time I looked forward left (numpad 7), even before I started taxiing at Orange. It might seem that I had some texture problem affecting the so Cal area only. However, with a double backup I'd be willing to try again, importing a greater variety of OT textures.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Or you can search for the misbehaving package. Make two backup folders, called PACKBAK and PACKALL, close to packages. Copy all ofthe packages into PACKALL (safety and to restore later). Cut half thepackages into PACKBAK.Check the sim. If it works, the bad package is in the half that you moved. Swap the two directories over. (If it doesn't work, the bad package hasn't moved, so don't swap).Delete the packages in PACKBAK. Take another half of the remainingpackages and cut it to PACKBAK. Test the sim again. Repeat thisprocess until you have identified the corrupted package.Then restore by copying PACKALL to packages. Delete the bad packagethat you identified. Test the sim again.Finally publicise on AVSIM the name of the bad package so people canrepair or avoid it.I have had to use this method a couple of times myself.Rob D.

It might also be worth horsewhipping the offending package author in public, and then uploading the film to the FU3 file library......just so that everyone else "gets the message" :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

I had this problem when I was playing with GTF. Turned out to be a corrupted model file (*.mod) in the airport directory. I found this by trial and error until it worked. Had to recreate all my runways/taxiways though.I could start the Beechjet but when I tried taxiing, it crashed.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Yes, this sounds plausible. If it were my packages the problem would persist since I didn't touch these. What I did first was to replace the entire outer terrain airports folder with the standard one. This changed nothing -- my aircraft still loaded at so Cal airports but the sim still crashed when I looked left / right or started going down the runway. A "sick" model, or maybe even a "sick" texture must be the culprit. Further, it must be a model / texture that's endemic to so Cal, not being used anywhere else.best regards,Hans Petter